CNC Having a go

Anything not specifically related to NBTV, but at least of some technical nature that might be of interest to NBTV members. Items for sale and links to retailers do not belong here.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Steve Anderson

Postby gary » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:15 pm

Albert, there is always a "box" around the linear bearings that pulls the bearings into the rail from all directions (at 45 degrees).
gary

Postby Harry Dalek » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:48 pm

Viewmaster wrote:That 'carriage',shall we call it Harry, with the bearings at 45 degree each side. What is the system to prevent any upward /sidewise rock movements?

What bearing/restrainers are underneath the track to prevent this? (I may have missed this on previous photos)

Well with the V angle steel theres bearings either side of the V you see the bracket at the top but nothing under yet its enough to lock it but no all around bracketing yet .

With the V rails ands V bearings as long as theres a bracket strong enough to push the 2 points of the v bearings to the v rails it isn't going anywhere but point taken :wink: i will put in a bracket under or a bracket and bolt tighting system which at the moment i have left up to the 2 very thick steel L brackets bolts .

I have to pull it to bits so the v Rails are pointing up and down // Garys hint i can see the error of my ways :oops:

Your advice on all around bracketing is good advice so no worries Albert and i will see what i can do when i work on it again :idea:
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby gary » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:56 pm

I would recommend again, if you haven't already done so, Harry, to go through the tutorial on the left hand side of this page:

http://buildyourcnc.com/default.aspx

regardless of the material used to build the machine the mechanics are still as relevant.
gary

Postby gary » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:46 am

It has dawned on me that what I meant by "box" may have been unclear - I didn't mean a literal box but the box made by the structure around the linear bearings - I hope the attached drawing makes it clearer (the red shows the imaginary box made up of the gantry and the undercarriage (for want of a better description).
Attachments
bearing box.jpg
bearing box.jpg (32.34 KiB) Viewed 13359 times
gary

Postby Harry Dalek » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:07 pm

gary wrote:It has dawned on me that what I meant by "box" may have been unclear - I didn't mean a literal box but the box made by the structure around the linear bearings - I hope the attached drawing makes it clearer (the red shows the imaginary box made up of the gantry and the undercarriage (for want of a better description).

Hi Gary thanks for the drawing i missed this one today but i think i understood because it looks like this sort of now fingers crossed .'

I did look at the build on that site was that guy making a cnc in hes house ! he started cutting over the bathroom tub i think i would be kicked out of the house if i ever tried that .

I can see all the weight is even in one place for the bearings.... both Axis one above the other .

I tried to make it stronger less messy with the X to Y Axis brackets.... it doesn't look like much but it was a bit of work in this heat today .

Don't worry about the big L bracket poking out i am going to cut that off and use it sort of like the front side of that bracket and have the Z Axis close as i can to the Y.

The old brackets top i will unbolt , see later for the thread to be mounted around there on 2 of them...but not really onto that yet.
Attachments
P1040747.JPG
P1040747.JPG (185.68 KiB) Viewed 13355 times
P1040748.JPG
P1040748.JPG (188.02 KiB) Viewed 13355 times
P1040750.JPG
P1040750.JPG (181.54 KiB) Viewed 13355 times
Untitled2.avi
LETS MAKE HER WORK
(5.56 MiB) Downloaded 557 times
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Postby gary » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:11 pm

Looks good Harry!
gary

Postby Harry Dalek » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:11 pm

gary wrote:Looks good Harry!

Thanks Gary if any thing i am much happier with it ,need to do it right advice always welcome.
Harry Dalek

Postby Harry Dalek » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:04 pm

Today i rotated the Large L bracket so i didn't have to cut it and use the bottom of it to bolt to my Z Axis rail.

Made another little bracket for the other end of the Z rails so now the bearings for the Y are locked in every side but still adjustable and can be removed if need be if a bearing needs replacing or what ever .

I think i can next work on the Z Bearings Brackets and such so i will leave that for midweek.
Attachments
P1040759.JPG
P1040759.JPG (148.64 KiB) Viewed 13338 times
P1040760.JPG
P1040760.JPG (165.13 KiB) Viewed 13338 times
P1040761.JPG
P1040761.JPG (123.07 KiB) Viewed 13338 times
P1040762.JPG
P1040762.JPG (177.26 KiB) Viewed 13338 times
P1040763.JPG
P1040763.JPG (194.31 KiB) Viewed 13338 times
Harry Dalek

Postby gary » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:11 pm

Ah good stuff Harry, I see you have "boxed" the linear bearings - I am pleased to see that.

I am also pleased to see that your welding is not that much better than my own... ;-)

On a sadder note you may or may not be aware of this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21563344
gary

Postby Harry Dalek » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:35 pm

gary wrote:Ah good stuff Harry, I see you have "boxed" the linear bearings - I am pleased to see that.

I am also pleased to see that your welding is not that much better than my own... ;-)

On a sadder note you may or may not be aware of this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21563344

Yes it should help this boxing in just trying to work out an easy way of doing it i am glad i had a think about it as i would of cut the large bracket which has still come in useful as is .

Yes welding if can get it to stick i am happy :oops: I don't have a mask so its blind welding as well ,i would rather bolt but sometimes there is no other way .

Yes that is sad i didn't know he had passed away ,now what thing to leave behind and out last your self .
Harry Dalek

Postby gary » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:48 pm

harry dalek wrote: I don't have a mask so its blind welding as well

Oh Harry - you are joking surely? Please say you are.... :shock:

Oh I have a spare one I could give you if you were local but too expensive to send by mail I think.

Look, do your self a big favour - save up all your pennies - go off the grog - get another job - but get yourself one of these new fangled solar auto masks - I bought one for $60 and it is the best thing since sliced bread - it makes stick welding so much easier as you can see what you are doing when you strike. I got mine from Aldi but I am sure they are available at a similar price elsewhere like supercheap auto etc. Believe me you'll wonder why you never had one before.

PS Some say battery powered are quicker but I have never had a problem with mine and I have very sensitive eyes.

PPS I wonder if these things work with lasers? ;-)
gary

Postby Harry Dalek » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:22 pm

gary wrote:
harry dalek wrote: I don't have a mask so its blind welding as well

Oh Harry - you are joking surely? Please say you are.... :shock:

Oh I have a spare one I could give you if you were local but too expensive to send by mail I think.

Look, do your self a big favour - save up all your pennies - go off the grog - get another job - but get yourself one of these new fangled solar auto masks - I bought one for $60 and it is the best thing since sliced bread - it makes stick welding so much easier as you can see what you are doing when you strike. I got mine from Aldi but I am sure they are available at a similar price elsewhere like supercheap auto etc. Believe me you'll wonder why you never had one before.

PS Some say battery powered are quicker but I have never had a problem with mine and I have very sensitive eyes.

PPS I wonder if these things work with lasers? ;-)

Yes must get one very sad ! i know i have to buy one never used it that much as you can tell but it would come in handy for this and the odd job .

No worries i will buy that newer type in time they sound good .

It would be interesting to see if its laser sensitive and to what light frequency ///i do have laser glasses :wink:
Harry Dalek

Postby Harry Dalek » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:36 pm

I think the weather has something to do with what project i am working almost a year since i worked on my metal monster !

I will post here some and pictures on the next stage i have a video or 2 which i will post when i down size them .

Now i am still stuffed as far as stepper motors go ,i only have one that might do the trick from a big old 70s teleprinter.

I am just going to chuck some ideas out here as they say necessity is the mother of invention...

As i see it you need enough grunt for that stepper to move my metal axis about ....i didn't make it easy on my self making this out of steel not that its not strong but its heavy catch 22 i suppose .

The solution to this problem is an easy stronger stepper motors ...the catch 22 here is money :cry:

The 2 horizontal axis movements might not be the big problem as it doesn't take much of a push to move them ..the up down movement for the high speed drill is the big one it will be easy dropping due to gravity but theres a big of weight here to raise it again .

So if i can work out to raise this movement with small steppers or the larger one( to my eyes ) i have i may get this bugger going .

So thinking about crazy ways to make a small stepper motor do a big job /
The pot luck way is just direct drive and see if any of my little steppers can move any of the easier movements at all .

Next is perhaps a pulley system to increase the power the motor can do but makes things even slower but slow is better than nothing and you tend to do things more careful when you work slow for people so for cncs perhaps its the same wishful thinking ?

Perhaps 2 small steppers pulley connected or direct drive connected either end of the screw rods double the power ?

I also had the idea of using steppers for the control movement and a large
AC or DC motor that has enough grunt to move the axis that the stepper couldn't ,same idea where a stepper and the larger motor is either end of the control rod or a pulley system the stepper movement controlling the on and off and direction of larger motor via mechanical switches perhaps or pulses that the stepper uses might work in a pulse width speed control for a larger DC motor ,needs some sort of feed back to speed up slow down stop start and directions.

Just an idea if a stepper motor could be used to control another motor would be nice ,but i am sort of thinking it will be the other way around ,theres just something about it makes me think perhaps .
Attachments
1.JPG
The new up down axis Z ? its been a year i have forgot
1.JPG (136.78 KiB) Viewed 13311 times
2.JPG
Trying to work out an easy way to mount my control rod without the bearing moving , the scooter wheel has been reinvented for another use !
2.JPG (115.58 KiB) Viewed 13311 times
3.JPG
The Beast !
3.JPG (181.97 KiB) Viewed 13311 times
4.JPG
Back of the Beast
4.JPG (211.6 KiB) Viewed 13311 times
5.jpg
Still messy getting there never said it would be soon ; )
Albert have not forgotten will use it .
5.jpg (209.24 KiB) Viewed 13311 times
6.JPG
Drill mount idea
6.JPG (169.94 KiB) Viewed 13311 times
7.JPG
Need to weld a bracket to the bolts then weld the bracket to the Z axis then with a motor it should go up and down and i am going to do a reverse of the bearing idea for the top
7.JPG (176.99 KiB) Viewed 13311 times
Harry Dalek

Postby Harry Dalek » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:19 pm

Today i worked on finishing the up down movement for the drill.

I might neaten it up a little now i know it works .

The scooter wheels cut to size square have made the bearings either end of the control rod pretty easy ,i think i will use them for the other 2 Axis movements .

I find the mechanical construction very enjoyable bit like playing with a big meccano set .
Attachments
z.gif
Finished the z Axis to the point of working today
z.gif (6.17 MiB) Viewed 13295 times
a.JPG
Some stills of the axis movement control on the cheap
a.JPG (167.4 KiB) Viewed 13295 times
b.JPG
b.JPG (211.01 KiB) Viewed 13295 times
c.JPG
c.JPG (148.53 KiB) Viewed 13295 times
d.JPG
d.JPG (204.51 KiB) Viewed 13295 times
e.JPG
e.JPG (213.16 KiB) Viewed 13295 times
Harry Dalek

Postby Harry Dalek » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:28 pm

Been working on the CNC since last posting i have just about finished the motor mounting .

As i said last post i have been thinking about how to get this thing going ...i have no large stepper motors yet .

So i am going to get it going the hard way manual control and electric manual control for a start .

I have seen a car windshield wiper motor cnc so its not impossible to made one from Ac and dc motors with encoders ...servo motors are used a bit more on large cnc machines

I have a printer port stepper motor controller i have half finished so thats still my goal to have a computer controlled monster but this is really a tool i am making to make holes and straight slots only really making this for NBTV ideas that are a little beyond hands on construction or better control of making these so i can get it going just eye following a template.

Its really not the most pretty of things but its made mostly of junk the X and Y motors are from old IBM electric type writers the z motor is from a old first generation Beta VCR the bearings and mounts are from kids scooters also the yellow skate board wheels stop the belts from slipping and are very handy manual hand control adjustments when not using the motors .

Most of the hard metal work is over i may tinker a bit here and there with it but it will be good to get on with the wiring part ...
Attachments
P1060137.JPG
The Ac motors Axis belt driven
P1060137.JPG (235.88 KiB) Viewed 13279 times
P1060142.JPG
I use the skate board wheels for 2 jobs
manual hand control and they stop the belts from slipping
P1060142.JPG (182.36 KiB) Viewed 13279 times
P1060145.JPG
Albert i have mounted your coupling for the Z Axis
P1060145.JPG (210.44 KiB) Viewed 13279 times
P1060146.JPG
P1060146.JPG (203.45 KiB) Viewed 13279 times
The olden days.JPG
Bit of fun ..
But this is my first go at the Z axis motor mount might tinker more
The olden days.JPG (190.03 KiB) Viewed 13276 times
Harry Dalek

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic