Scrapping for parts

Anything not specifically related to NBTV, but at least of some technical nature that might be of interest to NBTV members. Items for sale and links to retailers do not belong here.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Steve Anderson

Scrapping for parts

Postby Harry Dalek » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:30 pm

I have been scrapping old circuit boards lots of parts as you see ,i was running out of resistors why buy when you can scrap them off circuit boards !

Lots of semiconductors and a few parts i am not sure about does any one know what type of i think diode these are they are pretty big twice the size of clear type diodes that look a bit like it ...
Attachments
P1050491.JPG
what are these diodes ?
P1050491.JPG (223.62 KiB) Viewed 6426 times
P1050488.JPG
two days of scrapping for parts
P1050488.JPG (350.97 KiB) Viewed 6426 times
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby aussie_bloke » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:16 pm

Cool I've been doing that myself since my teens I have loads of old parts that still prove useful. I have however learned that electrolytic capacitors go dry so I don't pull them off unless they are rare value types. But as you would know they can be reformed with a HT power supply. These days I mainly pull off polyester caps, high power transistors and regulators with their heatsinks, transformers, some resistors and diodes with a decent amount of leg length and other oddball and useful components.
aussie_bloke
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby Harry Dalek » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:28 pm

aussie_bloke wrote:Cool I've been doing that myself since my teens I have loads of old parts that still prove useful. I have however learned that electrolytic capacitors go dry so I don't pull them off unless they are rare value types. But as you would know they can be reformed with a HT power supply. These days I mainly pull off polyester caps, high power transistors and regulators with their heatsinks, transformers, some resistors and diodes with a decent amount of leg length and other oddball and useful components.

Hi Troy

Oh i never really had much trouble with caps apart from old valve radio ones they always had the odd one that played up .
Well i have a life time supply of electronic caps !
Every now and then i end up with heaps of old boards to scrap but its so easy these days just google the part your not sure about and you know what it is apart from those strange looking diodes might be a tunnel diode so many different types ...but if it has a number we are so lucky these days ...20 years ago you would of junked an ic with no way to know what it is .
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Postby AncientBrit » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:20 pm

Steer clear of any resin encased paper caps marked 'Wima'

We had a lot of problems with (electrical) leakage on this range.

Encapsulation was either dark brown or a lightish yellow.

Cheers,

Graham
AncientBrit
Green padded cells are quite homely.

Postby Steve Anderson » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:19 pm

If you plunder parts from older gear (valve/tube) avoid similar-sounding capacitors usually found in UK made radios and TVs by Hunts (the caps that is). These were also a 'sort-of' brown Bakelite outside, usually of a few nF with a crack in the case at one end. Usually open, but sometimes short. As good as useless.

Steve O could probably go one forever on this theme...

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby Harry Dalek » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:02 pm

When i first started off in scrapping for parts must of been in the 70s most of that would of been valve radios to far gone to repair i do recall many paper caps gone bad with waxy stuff coming out of them .

Nothing like learning the hard way that the large electronic caps held its charge with the radio off :shock:

These days valve stuff is pretty rare to find so if found something valve i would feel like a criminal pulling it to bits ,suppose its the time and think i will feel the same way if i live long enough thinking back to these days scrapping old beta vhs vcrs for parts .
Harry Dalek

Return to Off Topic