Copyright

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Copyright

Postby Radio_Dave » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:04 pm

Hi,

My televisor is very nearly finished. Is showing it working, on the internet, with copyrighted material OK, a chance worth taking or a definite no no ?

Regards
David
Radio_Dave
"Fester, enough of the light-bulbs!"

Postby gary » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:50 am

I think you will be hard pressed to find anyone who could give you a definitive answer on that Dave, especially as advising you on it could possibly open them up to litigation.

At the risk of that I would suggest that your usage is a "sample" for demonstration and instructional use only, is freely provided, and thus constitutes "fair use".

But, as they say, "famous last words"....
gary

Postby Radio_Dave » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:10 pm

I think I'll have to take a chance and put a video on my Youtube channel.

The only intention of the video will be to show off televisor and not to show a full screen, copyrighted video. I'll pan around the construction and components first and then show a small clip of it working... Hopefully I'll get away with it :roll:

Regards
David
Radio_Dave
"Fester, enough of the light-bulbs!"

Postby gary » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:22 pm

They have some pretty clever software on YouTube that can detect copyrighted material so you may get a warning about it, but it is really just a heads up. If the copyright owner is uptight about it, the video may be taken down but that's about all - in your case that is highly unlikely because of the low res video involved - but if it is accompanied by full quality audio (e.g. it has a music soundtrack) that may trigger something.

There is so much copyrighted material up on YT it is hard to imagine a low res sample of something you show being an issue.
gary

Return to Mechanical NBTV