The Baird 'Dual' Televisors: Models B and C.

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

The Baird 'Dual' Televisors: Models B and C.

Postby Brigham » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:43 am

There seems to be a dearth of technical information available for these impressive large instruments, which I believe were the first commercially-produced televisors anywhere in the world.

Most of the familiar textbooks of the mechanical era show photos of the sets, but with little useful description, other than the disc size (24"), and that the Model C incorporates two broadcast receivers, for sound and vision respectively.

Even this latter point is debatable; of the two I have seen personally (both in the Stores at the Bradford museum), one was a B, the other a C, and yet neither had the twin receivers.

Does anyone here have technical information which could assist in replicating one of these imposing sets? I've already obtained the necessary files for laser-cutting a 32" version of the disc in 0.5 mm stainless steel (with optional square holes, no less), but the remainder of the project would be little more than informed guesswork.

I have available a draughtsman who is prepared to measure an existing example, and produce construction diagrams, which could then be made available to Club members.

My first thought was to approach the Bradford museum, who might themselves care to take a working replica. I suspect the increased picture size over the familiar 'Plessey' type would make a working demonstration a little more practical. Perhaps someone can help with such an enquiry?

For the electronic side, such as it is, I have in mind the Aurora SCM-01D, with the matching LED array built into a glass tube resembling a flat-plate neon. Any shared experience of that combination would be welcome. I have had nothing but total satisfaction from the 405-line version, and am in no doubt that the mechanical type will be equally satisfactory.

I'd like to have a working example ready for next year's Convention!
Brigham
"Fester, enough of the light-bulbs!"

Postby Brigham » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:19 am

Well, that's 500 views up, and still no further information about these elusive machines. I suspect that the Bradford two are the sole remaining examples.

I'm having difficulty with the Aurora converter. With a little practice I can resolve the built-in test card brilliantly, but on switching to a still head & shoulders image from DVD I get nothing but the black sync. bar. No joy with a proven 625-line camera and Stookie head, either. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

The first CAD 'rushes' for the 24" disc have come back with a square picture. Good job I didn't order a dozen! Club ratio is 2:3, as opposed to 3:7, I believe. A little more arithmetic required.

A half-size Model B prototype is almost complete, using the Darvic 12" disc. At least I'll have something for the Convention.
Brigham
"Fester, enough of the light-bulbs!"

Return to Mechanical NBTV