Video to NBTV converter

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Postby Steve Anderson » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:38 pm

Thanks Graham for your thoughts above.

Reviewing the D-Type farce and looking at this in a new light it should be possible to use the outer left and out right five or six pins, not elegant but possible. The centre six or eight pins could all be dedicated to the multiple ground/0V mentioned previously, though I hadn't intended to use quite so many, probably four.

It may be possible to have six or eight ground pins and 29 or 31 signal pins, the other side of the board has no copper. So it's maybe not as bad as I made out. Mechanical support is as per photos below and allows for some really LARGE boards, 25-pin version shown here, but the idea is the same. DIN41612 connectors would be ideal though.

The grid-cathode drive has its problem at the HF end, the LF/DC part no problem at all. In fact for this monitor around 2-3MHz would be enough as its spot-size limits the resolution that can be viewed. I was (and still am) hoping to get a 6MHz bandwidth for future use even if overkill for this.

Thanks again Graham...

Steve A.
Attachments
D-Type Plug-In 1.jpg
D-Type Plug-In 1.jpg (51.38 KiB) Viewed 5176 times
D-Type Plug-In 2.jpg
D-Type Plug-In 2.jpg (30.98 KiB) Viewed 5176 times
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby AncientBrit » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:33 pm

Steve,

Don't forget to allow for mechanical 'float' on the receptacle to allow for mis-alignment, that is if you are using a module.

Cheers,

Graham

On second thoughts forget that. I see you are using board to board, not a 'TEK' scope type plug in.
AncientBrit
Green padded cells are quite homely.

Postby Steve Anderson » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:09 am

It will be much as shown in the photos above. I can't foresee them being swapped around that often, otherwise an enclosure to make them a 'module' rather than a plug-in board would be sensible. Your 'floating' connector is noted.

A Tek type plug-in as per below would be beyond my mechanical facilities and skill, though a worthwhile suggestion.

Steve A.

As this monitor is slowly taking on a life of its own I'll beak it out into a new thread in the 'Electronic TV' section on the next relevant posting. I'll call it "A 5" Multi-Purpose Monitor".
Attachments
545.jpg
545.jpg (59.85 KiB) Viewed 5158 times
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Previous

Return to Mechanical NBTV