My "Zarkovisor", update-report

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

My "Zarkovisor", update-report

Postby DrZarkov » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:26 am

Still not everything as I wish (picture too dark, synch not yet finished), I spend some time on the cabinet. this is a mock up, I'm stil busy with connecting everything. As you notive, on the right side two radio-buttoms are missing, for motor speed (currently at the backside with a long wire), and sound (little problem, 5 cm of wire was missing, wrong measure, it is fixed by now). The sound is great with a very big loudspeaker and a 5 Watt amplifier.

The voltmeter will be connected to the motor, as a kind of "speedometer". The little buttom in the middle is an circuit interrupt for the synch-circuit.

The magnifying glass is from an old diapositive viewer, it is a double lense which gives me a nice, big picture. The frame is missing yet.

The whole story with pictures will follow soon, when everything is done, on my homepage.
Attachments
zarkovision.jpg
zarkovision.jpg (62.53 KiB) Viewed 12947 times
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

The Zarkovisor.

Postby Stephen » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:14 am

The Zarkovisor looks really good, Volker. I like the old-style meter and knobs. It could pass for a 1930s style televisor.
Stephen
Stephen
Anyone have a spare straightjacket?

No Semis...

Postby Steve Anderson » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:18 pm

Yes, it does look a good mock-up and the use of 1930s adornments makes it look period. I hope there are no semiconductors inside.

I guess that if I were to build one it would have to be called the Evilvisor from my previous Avatar.

Steve A.

Perhaps we could declare this a semiconductor-free site? Although that would be somewhat hypocritical of me!
Attachments
No Semis 1.jpg
No Semis 1.jpg (49.38 KiB) Viewed 12931 times
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby DrZarkov » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:14 pm

Semiconductors? :oops: Only 9 of them...
DrZarkov

Postby Viewmaster » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:21 pm

Using old knobs is a good idea...if you can get them. Maybe the speaker fret could be a little older and darker looking? There is a chap who sells it.....
http://www.grillecloth.com/index.html
I like the 'speedometer'....don't let the NBTV cops give you a ticket for exceeding the speed limit. :)
Albert.
Last edited by Viewmaster on Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Viewmaster
Frankenstein was my uncle.

Postby DrZarkov » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:28 pm

The speaker fret is indeed old-fashioned, but it is new made, and on the photo everything is looking even newer, an effect by the flash. My wife suggested to put the Zarkovisor several years in the cellar to let look it old....
DrZarkov

Postby Viewmaster » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:35 pm

DrZarkov wrote:The speaker fret is indeed old-fashioned, but it is new made, and on the photo everything is looking even newer, an effect by the flash. My wife suggested to put the Zarkovisor several years in the cellar to let look it old....

I don't want to give you more work, but I feel that a change of speaker fret to a darker colour would improve the overall appearance of your
Zarkovisor. What do others think?
Albert.
Viewmaster

Nuptuals in the cellar...

Postby Steve Anderson » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:14 pm

DrZarkov wrote:My wife suggested to put the Zarkovisor several years in the cellar to let look it old....

I'm not even going to hint at what you might do with your wife!! The word 'transposition' springs to mind! ...just joking!

Steve A.

Better still get someone who smokes 80 cigarettes a day sit next to it, that should give it that crusty 'pub' look.
Last edited by Steve Anderson on Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Anderson

Postby gary » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:17 pm

DrZarkov wrote:The speaker fret is indeed old-fashioned, but it is new made, and on the photo everything is looking even newer, an effect by the flash. My wife suggested to put the Zarkovisor several years in the cellar to let look it old....

Why are wives so unkind?... :-)
gary

Re: Nuptuals in the cellar...

Postby Viewmaster » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:28 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:Better still get someone who smokes 80 cigarettes a day sit next to it, that should give it that crusty 'pub' look.

They never had NBTV in pubs. :lol:
Albert.
Viewmaster

Period speaker grille cloth.

Postby Steve Anderson » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:45 pm

Duncan Amps (www.duncanamps.com) used to have links to spares suppliers for guitar amplifiers. For some reason they don't work anymore.

These included speaker grill cloth suppliers, whick OK, wasn't developed until 1941 by Les Paul (not the grille cloth, the electric guitar), but they would look the part.

Fender, Gibson, Marshall and others might be useful keywords for searching for spare parts which often includes the grille cloth.

There's always Maplin (cringe).

http://www.maplin.co.uk/search.aspx?men ... 5&doy=19m6

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby Viewmaster » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:16 am

Many more dark vintage grill cloths sold in the UK here........
http://www.vintage-radio.com/trg/index.html

Albert.
Viewmaster

Return to Mechanical NBTV