Assistance / Fees

Anything not specifically related to NBTV, but at least of some technical nature that might be of interest to NBTV members. Items for sale and links to retailers do not belong here.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Steve Anderson

Re: Assistance / Fees

Postby Andrew Davie » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:34 pm

Thanks for all the replies/offers. Let's just let things ride this year, and see how we go. I work for CSIRO and we're currently undergoing farily hefty rounds of retrenchments. I'm not sure what my future holds. As to the valuable data; I do have irregular backups, and anyone wanting a backup ZIP of the forum is welcome to it (though I'm not exactly sure what that contains). The forum software is free; yes, it's the storage that I pay for. I'm happy for it to be hosted elsewhere but really would have liked to totally pass on the management to the NBTVA at some point. However, I recognise that I'm probably the right person to be doing it, and as I said it's not too much of a burden. However, if I do lose my job then obviously I'm going to be making major cutbacks in expenditure!
Cheers
A
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby Steve Anderson » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:15 pm

Thanks for the information Andrew; it does help in making contingency plans if the worst comes to the worst. We all hope not of course.

The next time you do a backup perhaps you could send a copy to me just for safety'’s sake. How big is the file, approx?

I can't see the NBTVA taking the forum on and the current $160 per annum fees. I think they would also like to install their own administrator. If their web-site is anything to go by...well, what can I say?

For the NBTVA to take on the forum it would probably have to go to a vote at the next convention (April 2015) and with the 'nays' I don't think it would pass. Many wouldn't want subs being used to support something they either can't use or don't want to. This is understandable.

So gents, we need to think this through and be prepared for whatever the future holds.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby Harry Dalek » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:09 pm

Thank you Andrew i think every one will help out if need be .
Bad times indeed when we have Ronald McDonald running the country you might be lucky i am sure he would not know where Tasmania is i have my fingers crossed for you .
I am really Glad the contents of the forum is kept it would be dreadful if every ones work either way is lost,like most things that are saved over time there tends to be multiple copies .
I think there is software on the net that lets you down load all contents of web sites ,i did it a few years ago for a site and it worked.
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby Dave Moll » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:40 pm

Another forum I belong to (nothing to do with vintage tech.) has a button members can click to become a "supporter". In their case they provide encouragement to do so by providing exra facilities to supporters and displaying their status in their profiles, but I appreciate that that must add a layer of complexity that is probably unnecessary here.

If a donation button (possibly suggesting a suitable amount) can be added without too much extra effort, I do feel this to be worth pursuing.
Dave Moll
Anyone have a spare straightjacket?

Previous

Return to Off Topic