Taking pictures from a MUTR

Anything not specifically related to NBTV, but at least of some technical nature that might be of interest to NBTV members. Items for sale and links to retailers do not belong here.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Steve Anderson

Taking pictures from a MUTR

Postby ljones » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:13 am

Hello all! :-)

Ok yes I'm new around here(!) and although I don't do a *huge* amount of NBTV style stuff there is one question that I've always wanted to ask but could never really find out that much about the subject. You see I have one of the MUTR kits -- it is working without any problems (creating images to view on it though isn't that easy I find, as all the programs are windows only x.x).

However there's one question I'd like to ask -- how do you go about taking pictures of the MUTR's display with a digital camera? Does anyone know exactly which settings work best? I've tried several times over the course of when I've tried using the MUTR but all I succeded in getting was either a red fuzzy image or a partial image. Just wondered if anyone else had any better success?

thanks

ljones
ljones
"Fester, enough of the light-bulbs!"

Re: Taking pictures from a MUTR

Postby Steve Anderson » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:47 pm

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

It is tricky taking photos of flickering NBTV displays/monitors.

I wrote the attached some six years ago for incusion in the NBTVA newsletter, as far as I know it's not been published. Even at six years old it's still applicable to current digital still cameras. If this doesn't quite answer your problems, post them here and hopefully someone should be able to help.

Although the example used here is a CRT, it still applies to disc/drum monitors too.

Steve A.

As an afterthought, if you can't find the manual for your camera, most can be downloaded as a .pdf from the manufacturer's web-site. Have the camera to hand as you'll need the model number and quite often the serial number too...things sometimes change during a production run. The 'simple software' I refer to at the end is something like Irfanview, a freebie and good at what it does, Google it.
Attachments
NBTV Photo 3.pdf
(251.28 KiB) Downloaded 526 times
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Return to Off Topic