Quantum Mechanics uncertainty principle demo

Anything not specifically related to NBTV, but at least of some technical nature that might be of interest to NBTV members. Items for sale and links to retailers do not belong here.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Steve Anderson

Quantum Mechanics uncertainty principle demo

Postby AncientBrit » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:26 pm

AncientBrit
Green padded cells are quite homely.

Re: Quantum Mechanics uncertainty principle demo

Postby gary » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:17 pm

Hmmm, interesting, I have been aware of the *two* slit experiment, and, of course, Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, (until now two completely unrelated things), but I have never seen/heard/read of Heisenberg's uncertainty principle being demonstrated in this manner, and I have to say I find it unconvincing as I would have thought that the phenomenon as shown could (unlike the two slit experiment) just as easily be explained by refraction, or even reflection.

I would be interested if someone has a corroborating explanation of this phenomenon.

Edit: I am aware, of course, that the true nature of a particle wave form is that it is a probabilistic wave form, not a true waveform, but Heisenberg's uncertainty principle is more to do with the fact that the precision with which certain pairs of physical properties of a particle cannot be known, ie the position of a particle can be determined but not it's momentum and vice versa.

The two slit experiment, on the other hand, is experimental evidence that a particle can be in two places at the same time...
gary

Re: Quantum Mechanics uncertainty principle demo

Postby AncientBrit » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:25 pm

Morning Gary,

I must admit I was a little suspicious of the use of a single slit but I'm surprised no-one raised any objections on the YouTube site.

Cheers,

Graham
AncientBrit
Green padded cells are quite homely.

Return to Off Topic