More SPAM.

Anything not specifically related to NBTV, but at least of some technical nature that might be of interest to NBTV members. Items for sale and links to retailers do not belong here.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Steve Anderson

More SPAM.

Postby Steve Anderson » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:10 am

We've been getting a lot of SPAM in the last couple of weeks, mainly it would appear from Russia, at least the text looks Russian. If you look at the memberlist you'll notice a lot of new users in the same period. They will be banned in due course.

But if any should slip through simply ignore them, don't even bother to tell them to p**s off...they will be deleted.

For some reason this seems to happen only at this time of year...

Steve A.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Re: More SPAM.

Postby Steve Anderson » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:08 pm

It appears to be working, they're getting the message at last, that is new users have to have their first few posts approved. So that means spammers get nowhere and their IP address is blocked too. But there'll be more morons to come in the future for sure.

Full Definition of MORON
: usually offensive : a person affected with mild mental retardation - (mild? SA)..
: a very stupid person

The number of 'new users' (i.e. spammers) has dropped dramatically in the last week or so.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby gary » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:15 pm

Thanks for you efforts Steve - it is much appreciated.
gary

Postby Andrew Davie » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:44 am

Steve Anderson wrote:The number of 'new users' (i.e. spammers) has dropped dramatically in the last week or so.

Steve A.

The number of new spammers has dropped simply because I changed the registration question.
Somebody put the answer to the old question in an automated spam user login. I changed it, so the automated system fails.
Sometime, when that person who put the answer in... puts the new answer in... then we will get a surge in spam registrations. And I'll change the question again :)
Cheers
A
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Return to Off Topic