That luvly ol' noise!

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

That luvly ol' noise!

Postby Viewmaster » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:49 pm

I have a large collection of 78RPM gramophone records and many of them are pre electric recordings with very limited audio range....
..about 1000 to 1050 hertz! :lol:

But I do like the crackling scratchy sound at the beginning before the music begins and the additional crackles and pops as they play....not like Hi fi now where there is no mains hum/crackles and little distortion.

Maybe I am daft but the old noises have a romantic sound now to my ageing ears.
So, I might just build in an extra phono socket on my machine when finished marked, "noise input" where 'snap, crackle and pop' can be added to the vision to get me in the scratchy nostalgic mood! :lol:

Anyone else love the noisy, scratchy sounds of old and would like to 'see' them on NBTV?
Albert.
Viewmaster
Frankenstein was my uncle.

Postby DrZarkov » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:30 am

Yes, of course! I have a collection of 78 rpm records, too. Most of it german dance music and "Kleinkunst" (cabaret) of the 20th and 30th, but I have a lot of english and american records, too from very different styles of music, from Jack Hylton to the Revellers and the Andrew Sisters via different Jazz to common dance music. Plus some extras in my collection with classic music (mostly voices like Caruso, Richard Tauber etc.), french and italian songs and curiosa from pre WW1.

For NBTV I've converted a nice "Videoclip" singing Fernandel "Le tango corse", and I've just found the movie "Der Congress tanzt" with Lilian Harvey and Willy Fritsch singing "Das gibt's nur einmal" (there is an english version, too, but I can't remember it's name). I want to convert that too, as soon as I find some time.

Is it possible to combine for example a testcard with music with a free and easy to use software? The is a song "Können Sie schon fernsehen?" ("are you able to watch TV?") from Erwin Hartung, song in 1935! that would be ideal as a background for my testcards!

PS: Usually I use for listening my HMV model 163 or my old Dual record player (with steel needles) connected to my "Mende" valve-radio.
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

Postby Klaas Robers » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:00 am

Then listen also to the sound on the beginning and end tracks of the NBTV-CDs. That is also ripped off 78 rpm records. I am still able to play those records on my Philips 202 electronic speed control player. A friend of mine converted a stylus for the GP400 MD element holding a N-type of saphire.
Klaas Robers
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby DrZarkov » Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:32 am

Klaas, I've heard track 1 from CD 2 so many times testing my big monitor, always with sound on, so I hear if the CD is playing while watching to the picture coming or not. And it is a nice tune, ideal for testcards :-)
DrZarkov

Postby gary » Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:26 pm

DrZarkov wrote:Is it possible to combine for example a testcard with music with a free and easy to use software?

DrZarkov, I am not sure if this is what you want but the latest prototype of Video2NBTV (http://users.tpg.com.au/gmillard/Video2 ... _proto.exe) now supports dubbing of audio from any (or at least most) audio files. So to do what you want specify your testcard image as the video input and the audio you want to dub as the audio source.

There is one thing to watch out for at the moment and that is the length of the NBTV wave file will be determined by the minimum length of the video or audio (a single image or animation has infinite length). However the conversion process will appear to continue to the end of the longest item. To get around that just stop the conversion when you have converted to the length that you want.

If you want to create a video file (say AVI) then VirtualDub will probably do what you want.
gary

Postby DrZarkov » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:28 pm

Gary, that's perfect and better than what I wanted! :D
DrZarkov

Postby gary » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:20 pm

DrZarkov wrote:Gary, that's perfect and better than what I wanted! :D

Good stuff!
gary

Postby Viewmaster » Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:43 pm

I should have mentioned that I refered to copy phonovision where 'scratch' noise would have been on the picture. Sorry I missed that out on my thread.
Albert.
Viewmaster
Frankenstein was my uncle.

Return to Mechanical NBTV