NBTV and your motivation.

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

NBTV has generally two disiplines, where do your interests lie?

Totally mechanical, the electrical/electronics is a hinderence.
10%
Mostly mechanical, but accept the electronics.
29%
About 50/50.
29%
Mostly electrical/electronics, but accept the mechanics required.
24%
Totally electrical/electronics, the mechanics is a hinderence.
10%

Total votes : 21

NBTV and your motivation.

Postby Steve Anderson » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:38 pm

Gents,

The above is to 'test the water', where do your interests lie?

Steve A.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby Dave Moll » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:15 pm

Although the historical mechanical side fascinates me, I have voted for the "mostly electronic" option because my main area of interest is that narrow bandwidth enables pictorial information to be sent along communication channels normally limited to audio.

I much prefer the NBTV approach to limiting bandwidth through reduced resolution than the "modern" approach of using slow scan, which loses the dynamics of movement, especially while watching a talking head (where I find the unrealistic lip movements a hinderence while listening to speech).
Dave Moll
Anyone have a spare straightjacket?

Postby AncientBrit » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:58 pm

Where possible I try to keep within the "old" bandwidth of 10kHz, but with the use of colour and CDs I note that the B/W has crept up to 20kHz.

I think part of the challenge is staying as close to the old standards as possible, but again that's a very personal view.

I know others disagree.

Regards,

GL
AncientBrit
Green padded cells are quite homely.

Postby DrZarkov » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:31 am

Mechanics is easier for me, but I like to learn more about electronics. That's why I'm currently building two NBTV-monitors: One with the club-PCBs to have a good working and more or less beautiful case, and a hmm let us call it "open system" for experimenting with several circuits and discs.
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

Discipline.

Postby Stephen » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:24 am

I voted for "totally mechanical", meaning for me that I prefer to approach the problem of television image dissection and reconstruction by purely optical means. I find that simply reaching for a conventional solution using well-known off-the-shelf electronic components and systems becomes a crutch to thinking through more simple and elegant optical solutions. There is an incentive to simply and streamline solutions when one has to consider the construction and application of physical optical components. There are also many avenues of experimentation that are much easier to follow using "mechanical" systems that use purely optical scanning, such as non-conventional picture element shapes and scanning patterns.
Stephen
Stephen
Anyone have a spare straightjacket?

Your vote..

Postby Steve Anderson » Mon May 07, 2007 12:12 am

Gents,

If you haven't voted yet, please do so now, it is anomymous. It helps those who post and write items for the newsletter to get a feel for what people want to read about and/or help with advice where possible.

Thus far we seem to have a Gaussian distribution with a slight bias towards the mechanical aspect, but only 14 have voted, so if you haven't so far, please do so, it's just a simple click.....

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

This poll.

Postby Steve Anderson » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:57 pm

Since I posted this poll some three months ago there has been an intruguing distribution of interest. Today it appears to be about a 50/50 ratio between the electronic and mechanical aspect. Of which I'm all in favour of. A nice blend between the two interests....

Most of you will be aware that my interest is purely electronic, not mechanical. So why am I here in a forum devoted to mechanical TV? For me it's not the method, but the signal that interests me. Give me 20kHz and I'll see what can be done with it.

Now then, guys and gals, what I'm looking for is a challenge. Something to do with all this spare time I have. Give me a requirement and I'll see if I can meet it. (Please, no software, that's over to others).

In terms of the electronics where is, or what is, the bugbear of NBTV? I have an opinion, but I want to hear from you.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Re: This poll.

Postby Viewmaster » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:59 pm

Steve Anderson wrote: Give me 20kHz and I'll see what can be done with it..

You could distort it or make your dog jump up when hearing it. :)

Steve Anderson wrote:Now then, guys and gals, what I'm looking for is a challenge. Something to do with all this spare time I have. Give me a requirement and I'll see if I can meet it. (Please, no software, that's over to others).

Well Steve, banging the Edikow drum once again, it would be nice if any of the standard NBTV pulses added to a cylinder by a disc cutter could be relied upon by using some kind of flywheel sync circuitry to take over when pulses are missing or badly distorted in amongst all the groove noise on recording/playback....mostly all missing I would guess! :) .....

.....This is always assuming that .1 to .25 msec std. NBTV pulses can ever be recorded on a cylinder at all. Doubtful. :cry:

I thought that the pulses might be lengthened for recording onto wax, then shortened again on playback to suit NBTV and then filtered out for the picture info, but any filtering will destroy part of the picture freq. spectrum I guess.
Anyway, Steve, what are your thoughts on this?
Albert.
Viewmaster
Frankenstein was my uncle.

Postby Steve Anderson » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:42 pm

Viewmaster wrote:You could distort it or make your dog jump up when hearing it. :)

Yes, being a Beagle, Gromit is somewhat sensitive to ultrasonics!

Continuing that thought, I did design some 'Dog Zappas' for a Chinese company a while back. They are hand-held devices which easily fit on a key-ring, much like a remote lock for a car. They emit a very loud tone at 21.5kHz. (In excess of 135db). The dogs really don't like it!

The guy who asked me to design it said, "Can't you make it louder so it blows their legs off?".

Every postman here now has one.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby Andrew Davie » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:21 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:
Continuing that thought, I did design some 'Dog Zappas' for a Chinese company a while back. They are hand-held devices which easily fit on a key-ring, much like a remote lock for a car. They emit a very loud tone at 21.5kHz. (In excess of 135db). The dogs really don't like it!

I'd like one of those! Are you selling them?
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby Steve Anderson » Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:30 pm

Andrew Davie wrote:I'd like one of those! Are you selling them?

No, I am not, but I'll point you in the direction of the company that is. Give me a day or so to get in contact with them, perhaps you could be the distributor for Australia if they don't have one already.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Return to Mechanical NBTV