Heads Up - CRT tubes &c.

For sale and wanted ads, notices of where to find items of interest, club marketplace, and pointers to anything of interest to those wanting to buy or sell NBTV-related items.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Steve Anderson

Heads Up - CRT tubes &c.

Postby Andrew Davie » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:50 pm

At my local "tip shop" - a recycling centre - I spotted a fair number of large vintage tubes, many marked NOS (new, old stock). The prices were not exactly bargain basement (AUS$40 max) but I thought I'd take some photos and post in case someone is looking for these beauties. There was another gent there interested in them, but his lowball offer was rejected. I suspect they won't be around long. Contact me if you want me to grab any.

Images to follow in replies...
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Re: Heads Up - CRT tubes &c.

Postby Andrew Davie » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:06 pm

PICS!
Attachments
tube1.jpg
tube1.jpg (500.64 KiB) Viewed 9657 times
tube2.jpg
tube2.jpg (398.4 KiB) Viewed 9657 times
tube3.jpg
tube3.jpg (438.91 KiB) Viewed 9657 times
tube4.jpg
tube4.jpg (424.05 KiB) Viewed 9657 times
tube5.jpg
tube5.jpg (479.45 KiB) Viewed 9657 times
tube6.jpg
tube6.jpg (553.75 KiB) Viewed 9657 times
tube7.jpg
tube7.jpg (513.52 KiB) Viewed 9657 times
tube8.jpg
tube8.jpg (540.06 KiB) Viewed 9657 times
tube9.jpg
tube9.jpg (460.71 KiB) Viewed 9657 times
tube10.jpg
tube10.jpg (471.33 KiB) Viewed 9657 times
tube11.jpg
tube11.jpg (586.16 KiB) Viewed 9657 times
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby Harry Dalek » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:23 pm

Andrew Davie wrote:At my local "tip shop" - a recycling centre - I spotted a fair number of large vintage tubes, many marked NOS (new, old stock). The prices were not exactly bargain basement (AUS$40 max) but I thought I'd take some photos and post in case someone is looking for these beauties. There was another gent there interested in them, but his lowball offer was rejected. I suspect they won't be around long. Contact me if you want me to grab any.

Images to follow in replies...

Our reuse shops at the tip were very cheap 2 or 3 years ago here in Melbourne ...you could bargain for the price of stuff and have change from a 10 dollar note ...still pretty cheap now but no change... say a umatic vcr 10 dollars ..only bit higher on stuff they think is worth more these days ..
The CRTs look interesting i like the small one looks to me like they are checking on ebay the prices of these things ...the one with the mu metal screen would be useful for any one wanting the power supply transformer in the same case as the crt
Any idea of the phosphor screen types p1's to 3's perhaps the gold nugget a is a p7 they are harder to get ..
Think Steve would know just looking at the shape of the things :wink:
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby Steve Anderson » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:18 pm

Sadly nothing like those shops here in Thailand!

But if I were able to rummage around those CRTs, or even some of the other tubes, I would take a multimeter with me to at least check the heater isn't open circuit. In the case of the CRTs make sure there are no burn marks on the phosphor, usually a straight line where the device it was in was left on and idle for long periods.

If they are genuine NOS tubes there's better than a 95% chance they'll be fine. Especially if they're in their original packaging.

I notice one or two have a mu-metal shield as well, hopefully that's included in the asking price. Best bet is not to mention anything about the shield to the seller.

As for the A$40 max asking price, depending what the CRT is - that's not so bad compared to UK prices. If it were a CRT that I would find useful I would probably part with that, but would barter him/her down first if I could. If they are NOS tubes in original packaging it's worth it. These things are vanishing rapidly!

Steve A.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby Andrew Davie » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:44 pm

I went back this morning and purchased a SYLVANIA VCR-139A in original unopened box, and a open box but completely new Philips DG 7-32.
The others with the shield yes that was included in asking price. Those are still there - I have no plans to purchase.
Cheers
A

Steve Anderson wrote:Sadly nothing like those shops here in Thailand!

But if I were able to rummage around those CRTs, or even some of the other tubes, I would take a multimeter with me to at least check the heater isn't open circuit. In the case of the CRTs make sure there are no burn marks on the phosphor, usually a straight line where the device it was in was left on and idle for long periods.

If they are genuine NOS tubes there's better than a 95% chance they'll be fine. Especially if they're in their original packaging.

I notice one or two have a mu-metal shield as well, hopefully that's included in the asking price. Best bet is not to mention anything about the shield to the seller.

As for the A$40 max asking price, depending what the CRT is - that's not so bad compared to UK prices. If it were a CRT that I would find useful I would probably part with that, but would barter him/her down first if I could. If they are NOS tubes in original packaging it's worth it. These things are vanishing rapidly!

Steve A.
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby Klaas Robers » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:45 am

By the way, last week I was looking through my boxes with old valves and I found, next to the 7BP7 from my "wooden" SSTV-monitor, a second 5FP7, including a 70 degrees deflection coil unit. It is the same tube and coil unit that I have used in my recently built Heathkit SB-style SSTV monitor.

I never realised that I had a second set of that. Someone interested? They are now here in NL, close to Eindhoven. Otherwise it is "spare" for the HK SB-monitor above.
Klaas Robers
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Return to Marketplace