Right Hand - Prototype

Progress notes on a build of an INMOOV Robot

Moderators: Dave Moll, Steve Anderson

Right Hand - Prototype

Postby Andrew Davie » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:39 pm

I've made a start! I have the CR-10 printer set up and it appears to be printing OK. I've just about finished printing the various upgrade parts for the printer itself, so I thought it was about time to download some of the 3D models for the INMOOV robot and get them printing. It's going to take hundreds and hundreds of hours of printing to do the whole thing, but hey... a journey starts with the first step.

I am printing in blue - just because that's the filament I have setup, and I consider this first print a "learning how" prototype. I'll try and print and assemble a right-hand, test the materials and tolerances, and find out what parts I need to purchase/modify.

So, here's a couple of images. One shows the first lot of parts for the hand (just the fingers and wrist, basically). The other shows the "historical" start of the first print :)

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 10.27.00 PM.png

IMG_20170902_222405.jpg
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Re: Right Hand - Prototype

Postby Andrew Davie » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:09 am

I spend hours just watching this fascinating fabrication process!

Attachments
CR10INMOOV.mp4
(7.32 MiB) Downloaded 578 times
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby Andrew Davie » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:49 am

Still printing - 11 hours in and just over halfway. I have spotted two errors in my print - firstly I should have used three outer shell layers, but I used two. Two will be OK, but next time I will use 3. This is a prototype so that's OK. The second error is that I printed with support structures enabled. This is bad, because it's printing support *inside* the object where the tendons go, etc. I'm going to have to try to poke those out with a skewer or something after the print is finished. I realised this after reading the printing instructions *after* I started the print :)
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby McGee2021 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:11 pm

Andrew, it looks to me like your using 20 percent infill. I suggest taking this amount down to 10 percent, unless you want your robot to pick up heavy loads :lol: Just as a remind, itll also cut your print time, and save plastic, so your robot can be made, while also saving your patience. One more thing, do you have a heated glass print bed? I see that you have a constant layer of tape. In my experience, this can be a pain in the (Edited out for the public audience) to take your prints off with. To print without the tape, I usually heat my bed to about 55 for PLA, and once it starts printing, lower the z height manually so the nozzle is resting on the bed, while printing, so the first layer will come off glassy, and will only come off when the bed has completely cooled down.
Fun times, ain't it?
McGee2021
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby Andrew Davie » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:46 pm

McGee2021 wrote:Andrew, it looks to me like your using 20 percent infill. I suggest taking this amount down to 10 percent, unless you want your robot to pick up heavy loads :lol: Just as a remind, itll also cut your print time, and save plastic, so your robot can be made, while also saving your patience. One more thing, do you have a heated glass print bed? I see that you have a constant layer of tape. In my experience, this can be a pain in the (Edited out for the public audience) to take your prints off with. To print without the tape, I usually heat my bed to about 55 for PLA, and once it starts printing, lower the z height manually so the nozzle is resting on the bed, while printing, so the first layer will come off glassy, and will only come off when the bed has completely cooled down.

25% - the instructions suggest mostly 30%; I think strength is probably important in these parts.

I'm fairly patient - 16 hours in so far, another 5 to go, maybe...?

I do have a heated bed, with glass overlay. I print on tape out of habit - I know this works. Yes, it's a pain to take off - as evidenced by this sliced fingernail I did a couple of days ago trying to prise a piece off. On the plus side, I'm getting excellent adhesion :P

ouch.jpg

Hopefully I won't do that again! My fingers looking particularly old and worn in this picture - a busy day working with acetone and ABS slurry - they're covered in a thin layer of ABS and, of course, blood. I'll have a go at printing on glass soon. I can't easily lower Z - but I can reasonably easily adjust the bed upwards. Thanks for the suggestions.
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby Andrew Davie » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:22 am

McGee2021 wrote:One more thing, do you have a heated glass print bed? I see that you have a constant layer of tape. In my experience, this can be a pain in the (Edited out for the public audience) to take your prints off with. To print without the tape, I usually heat my bed to about 55 for PLA, and once it starts printing, lower the z height manually so the nozzle is resting on the bed, while printing, so the first layer will come off glassy, and will only come off when the bed has completely cooled down.

The above is my first glass-only print, in progress. It appears to be working extremely well. I used 60C for the bed, and rather than lowering the z, I simply calibrated with the heat bed already at temperature. I eyeballed as it was printing the skirt, and one of the levelling screws I adjusted a turn or two to improve the adhesion. It's looking good...
Attachments
VID_20170904_235336.mp4
(7.18 MiB) Downloaded 523 times
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby Harry Dalek » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:26 pm

looks good an impressive Andrew and i can see the 3 d printing has its dangers! ohch!
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby Andrew Davie » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:47 pm

Starting to get the parts together. I think I've printed all the parts I can. I've ordered 5 stepper motors suitable for controlling the fingers. Not sure about what else I need. I have a couple of Arduino Unos there, too. The rest is string and duct tape :P I'm not really that gung-ho about this project, so it's going slowly...

IMG_20170914_155543.jpg
IMG_20170914_155543.jpg (121.54 KiB) Viewed 7386 times
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Return to Andrew Davie's INMOOV Robot