Introducing freenbtv - new NBTV generation software

Software related to NBTV.

Re: Introducing freenbtv - new NBTV generation software

Postby Harry Dalek » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:23 pm

smeezekitty wrote:

Thanks! I'm glad it works now. It uses FFMPEG or SDL_Image to load the file. So it can support just about any type of image, video (but video with audio doesn't work yet), animated GIFs etc. You don't need to worry about directshow codecs either.

I should mention you need to press "set format" before pressing start and whenever you change the audio output settings.

Well i managed to work it out ...Yes the set format button sure helped ...so far didn't fiddle just tried 32 line and made a wav file of me .
Am going to have to write a procedure to use this one well worth it thats a nice new toy for me :wink:
I see you can play the image to NBTV or what ever live and or make a file very interesting .
It did hang a bit at times as in not working but shutting down reloading worked fine again ..more than likely the stuff i had open made it play up low memory or something like that ...if it doesn't work reboot i say .
Great stuff this is going to be fun to play with .
OH i just noticed there are 4 of me in coming up on Garys newer big picture but normal on Doms software ...i will have another look at the settings /////well the settings are correct i had the same effect trying the flying spot scanner the other day getting 4 images with correct line frame rates on the newer big picture ...it was fine on the older one first image and on doms nbtvA standard settings .
BTW the reason i could not work out how to load an image was the larger screen loads over the little file input screen i didn't know it was there .i move it by accident and noticed it .... it was a arrrr moment :lol:
Attachments
21622210_10214647041549371_362966511_n (1).wav
(1.1 MiB) Downloaded 859 times
1.JPG
1.JPG (1.86 KiB) Viewed 18601 times
4.JPG
4.JPG (2.68 KiB) Viewed 18601 times
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby Canberry3 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:48 pm

Thank you so much for sharing this with here. Glad to know about this. lol
Canberry3
"Fester, enough of the light-bulbs!"

Postby smeezekitty » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:41 am

Harry Dalek wrote:It did hang a bit at times as in not working but shutting down reloading worked fine again ..more than likely the stuff i had open made it play up low memory or something like that ...if it doesn't work reboot i say .

It does seem to have a small memory leak that I'm trying to track down. But it doesn't use a system crushing amount of resources. Right now it is using ~20MB of RAM (not even the top 10 of all the processes I have on my PC)

OH i just noticed there are 4 of me in coming up on Garys newer big picture but normal on Doms software ...i will have another look at the settings /////well the settings are correct i had the same effect trying the flying spot scanner the other day getting 4 images with correct line frame rates on the newer big picture ...it was fine on the older one first image and on doms nbtvA standard settings .

Which version of NBTV TBP?
I am assuming it is this one
>Video2NBTV Version 3 alpha release (includes Brown/Robers CCNC Mark II)

I couldn't reproduce the issue myself. As a matter of fact I watched your youtube video right after you posted it and wondering about the 4 pictures....
I did notice that the newer version of TBP doesn't support 8 bit per sample (the default output format) but the older version did. Seems like a regression in a newer version of Gary's software. Oh well

BTW the reason i could not work out how to load an image was the larger screen loads over the little file input screen i didn't know it was there .i move it by accident and noticed it .... it was a arrrr moment :lol:

Fair enough. I'm trying to figure out how to make GTK not open the windows on top of each other. I am learning as I go along since I haven't done anything with GTK before this and not much GUI programming in general.
Attachments
tbp2.jpg
tbp2.jpg (62.17 KiB) Viewed 18596 times
smeezekitty
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby Harry Dalek » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:07 pm

smeezekitty wrote:It does seem to have a small memory leak that I'm trying to track down. But it doesn't use a system crushing amount of resources. Right now it is using ~20MB of RAM (not even the top 10 of all the processes I have on my PC)

Its no big problem it works fine ,if it gets stuck i just had to reload it ....i had a few things open that may have caused it to play up when making the wav file ,its done this as well on garys video2NBTV at times .

Which version of NBTV TBP?
I am assuming it is this one
>Video2NBTV Version 3 alpha release (includes Brown/Robers CCNC Mark II)

I was meaning Play back of your programs wav file on the 2 versions of Garys big Picture ..it works fine on the original but on the V2 Alpha i got the 4 images
i know its not your software causing this as it is doing the same playing 32 line live on the Alpha Big picture ...I have to report it to Gary ...i think he mentioned to me there are different versions of hes software about the one i am using looks to have a problem /

I couldn't reproduce the issue myself. As a matter of fact I watched your youtube video right after you posted it and wondering about the 4 pictures....
I did notice that the newer version of TBP doesn't support 8 bit per sample (the default output format) but the older version did. Seems like a regression in a newer version of Gary's software. Oh well

I will tend to have a few versions of Garys software scattered on my Hard drive as you do :wink: i will test it out again on different versions .
Are you going to make a multi system viewer as well ? it would be very useful on the odd systems we could try out .

Fair enough. I'm trying to figure out how to make GTK not open the windows on top of each other. I am learning as I go along since I haven't done anything with GTK before this and not much GUI programming in general.

Once you know its no problem i was looking every where how to load an image ..i didn't know there were really 4 screens just over lapped .
You have done very well i am impressed ...This is like magic it me as i know diddly squat about how to do something like this its great to have it !
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Postby smeezekitty » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:55 am

Harry Dalek wrote:

I was meaning Play back of your programs wav file on the 2 versions of Garys big Picture ..it works fine on the original but on the V2 Alpha i got the 4 images
i know its not your software causing this as it is doing the same playing 32 line live on the Alpha Big picture ...I have to report it to Gary ...i think he mentioned to me there are different versions of hes software about the one i am using looks to have a problem /

Hmm it must be a bug in that version of Gary's software. It works fine for me though.
I will tend to have a few versions of Garys software scattered on my Hard drive as you do :wink: i will test it out again on different versions .
Are you going to make a multi system viewer as well ? it would be very useful on the odd systems we could try out .

That is the plan - to make a viewer with similar configuration options. but of course it is all time permitting. It's not my only project and I also have life things in the way
smeezekitty

Postby Andrew Davie » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:00 pm

Hoping you might support "NBTV8" format. This is used by my Arduino televisor, which now has a world user-base of 2 people. Soon to be 4.
Format is 8-bit WAV. Left channel video, right channel audio.
Video: unsigned 8-bit, no synch pulses.
Audio: signed 8-bit.
12.5 fps, 32 scanlines. Scanning bottom-right to top left.
19200Hz --> 38400 bytes per second.
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby smeezekitty » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:19 pm

Andrew Davie wrote:Hoping you might support "NBTV8" format. This is used by my Arduino televisor, which now has a world user-base of 2 people. Soon to be 4.
Format is 8-bit WAV. Left channel video, right channel audio.
Video: unsigned 8-bit, no synch pulses.
Audio: signed 8-bit.
12.5 fps, 32 scanlines. Scanning bottom-right to top left.
19200Hz --> 38400 bytes per second.

It supports almost everything you need except I haven't implemented audio yet. It's definitely on the list but unfortunately I am having a little issue with it.

It supports 8 bit WAV (actually 8 bits is the default). You can generate between 1-4 channels with options for video (sync or no sync), sync only and soon, audio.
19200 Hz is supported (edit: not in the download release but in the development code).

Although I am wondering why you have the video unsigned and the audio signed. I wasn't really planning on having split signedness support but I'll reconsider
smeezekitty

Postby jamesruiz0818 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:45 pm

is there option of downloading?
jamesruiz0818
"Fester, enough of the light-bulbs!"

Postby smeezekitty » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:11 pm

jamesruiz0818 wrote:is there option of downloading?

Yes. On the first page, there is a zip download. You also have to download more_deps.zip. I'll fix the download package so it's all in one in the next release. Not sure when that'll be because I'm suddenly very busy
smeezekitty

Postby Lowtone » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:29 am

I guess i will wait until there is a full functionnal version, but the idea is great ! It is really what i wanted.
Video2NBTV was good, but the lack of colour support was limitating.
The other software was taking a part of the desktop and it was painful to align a media player to it.
Now it will be nice to have unlimited options.
If we create a format, it can be interesting to have a way to name and save it, or even share it :P
r a d i o P T T v i s i o n
Lowtone

Postby gary » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:11 am

Lowtone wrote:but the lack of colour support was limitating.

Lack of colour support?
gary

Postby smeezekitty » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:24 pm

NEW RELEASE!!!

Bug fixes and new features. Sound support is coming along but still broken. Now supports more sample rates and trapezoidal input window shape.

Also, it now has an installer so hopefully no more dependency issues and much easier to install.
Attachments
freenbtv_alpha2.zip
(18.19 MiB) Downloaded 840 times
smeezekitty

Postby Harry Dalek » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:27 am

smeezekitty wrote:NEW RELEASE!!!

Bug fixes and new features. Sound support is coming along but still broken. Now supports more sample rates and trapezoidal input window shape.

Also, it now has an installer so hopefully no more dependency issues and much easier to install.

Hi thanks for the xmas pressie ! it installed fine on my older lap top so should be fine on the other newer one i just use windows 7 .... i hate the newer versions.
i will give it a test later today ,it will come in handy for sure...i was hoping you would keep on working on the software .Thanks and have a good xmas.
Last edited by Harry Dalek on Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harry Dalek

Postby smeezekitty » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:48 am

Harry Dalek wrote:
Hi thanks for the xmas pressie !it installed fine on my older lap top so should be fine on the other newer one i just use windows 7 .... i hate the newer versions.

Yeah, it's developed on Windows 7. I don't see why it wouldn't work on newer versions but I'm not a big fan of W8 and W10.
i will give it a test later today ,it will come in handy for sure...i was hoping you would keep on working on the software .Thanks and have a good xmas.

You as well. Frohe Weihnatchten!
smeezekitty

Postby Harry Dalek » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:58 pm

Hi there since i am working on a multi system monitor Thanks to help from Steve and klass's minds and a tiny little bit of mine a couple of hard pressed neurons ! Your software will come in handy on the lower line rates testing before i try my flying spot PMT camera .
Here i tried 128 line only have Doms software to test at the moment at the 64 line so showing 2 images but a image it is and will hopefully be one 128 line 12.5hz image on my monitor
Attachments
Screen 00018.jpg
Screen 00018.jpg (43.07 KiB) Viewed 18141 times
Screen 00019.jpg
Screen 00019.jpg (41.06 KiB) Viewed 18139 times
Harry Dalek

PreviousNext

Return to Software