My great-granddad's amateur station from the 50s!!

Anything not specifically related to NBTV, but at least of some technical nature that might be of interest to NBTV members. Items for sale and links to retailers do not belong here.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Steve Anderson

My great-granddad's amateur station from the 50s!!

Postby OmegaProductions » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:02 am

Hello guys! My great-granddad "Peter" used to have a station called "G3ESY". He did transmission between the 1940s and 50s! Here's a picture of my great-granddad in his station!! :D

g3esy.jpg
g3esy.jpg (64.27 KiB) Viewed 16971 times

That's all I had to say! Goodbye!! :D :) :wink:
Last edited by OmegaProductions on Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
OmegaProductions
Misunderstood Genius

Re: My great-granddad's amateur station from 50s!!

Postby OmegaProductions » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:06 am

By the way...someone did a video when he managed to restore my great-granddad's AM transmitter. :)

LINK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kroKHnY3JD8

youtu.be/kroKHnY3JD8
OmegaProductions
Misunderstood Genius

Postby Harry Dalek » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:15 pm

OmegaProductions wrote:By the way...someone did a video when he managed to restore my great-granddad's AM transmitter. :)

LINK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kroKHnY3JD8

I think your great grand father would be very proud of your growing interest in electronics and vintage television ...I could not view the video for some reason its blocked due to copy right .
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Re: My great-granddad's amateur station from the 50s!!

Postby Klaas Robers » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:31 pm

Harry, then copy the link and open it in a new window of your browser and watch the video in the YouTube environment.

It is a nice view. An AM transmitter with an 813 in the final and a modulator with a balanced audio final stage (which lamps? two 811?). Also the power supply with two mercury gas filled rectifier tubes is nice to see. But you need quite some spatial insight to reconstruct the total image in your mind.

However the demodulated sound is awfull, I guess too deep (over) modulated.
Klaas Robers
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby Andrew Davie » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:41 pm

Klaas Robers wrote:Harry, then copy the link and open it in a new window of your browser and watch the video in the YouTube environment.

I had the same issue at work today. Video blocked.
However, it works fine at home. There's definitely some blockage going on somewhere. Not browser-related as I'm using the same OS, same browser... just worked at home, not at work.
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby Harry Dalek » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:26 pm

Yes Andrew and klass Still a problem tried it on different browers and copied the link and and tried to do a direct you tube viewing but no all i get is
Attachments
Screen 00001.jpg
Screen 00001.jpg (20.72 KiB) Viewed 16951 times
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Postby Robonz » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:16 pm

Robonz
Evil Genius

Postby Andrew Davie » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:18 pm

I have just realised I exclusively use a VPN at home, so for the purposes of viewing this video I'm actually in Luxembourg when at home. At work I'm in Australia. It appears that the video is blocked to Aussie viewers.
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby Robonz » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:24 pm

Right Andrew, blocked in NZ too, so I set up a UK proxy link that works.

I used to work on that gear in my broadcasting days. Usually in the middle of a horse paddock. Always had to be fixed within 30 minutes to keep the station on the air. It was quite the challenge especially when you turned up and a capacitor had exploded and you had to vent the smoke out before you could see what you were doing. haha. Mostly the repair was simple, just the output vacuum tube need replacement, there was always a spare ready to go.
Robonz
Evil Genius

Postby OmegaProductions » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:54 am

Oh yeah...that user was playing random music in the background and that's why it's sadly blocked in your area. :(

However, the music he played isn't really my favourite kind of music. Just my opinion. :?
OmegaProductions
Misunderstood Genius

Postby Harry Dalek » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:13 pm

Thanks Keith for the link i didn't know that existed !
But still does not like me tried a few times
Attachments
Screen 00002.jpg
Screen 00002.jpg (45.71 KiB) Viewed 16927 times
Harry Dalek

Postby OmegaProductions » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:01 am

Harry Dalek wrote:I think your great grand father would be very proud of your growing interest in electronics and vintage television ...

Very nice post Harry! He would be proud of me into this interest which I have now! :D :)

However, if you want to view the video, go on Convert2mp3 website. However when you convert it, there would unfortunately have dangerous advert windows pop-up so I quickly quit out the unexpected window pop-up (most YouTube converter sites have unexpected pop-ups) :?

However, just quickly close the unexpected windows when loading to convert. That's all I had to say! Goodbye! :)
OmegaProductions
Misunderstood Genius

Postby gary » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:21 pm

Harry, one (of many) ways to watch it is to install the Opera browser. in general it is a good browser to have on your computer (you can have as many different browsers as you like) and now it has free inbuilt VPN - this allows you to watch content that is banned here on copyright grounds by making it look like you are in another country where it isn't banned.

If you want to pursue this method and have downloaded Opera but can't work out how to make the VPN work. let me know and I'll walk you through it.

Alternatively, I could upload an audio-less version of the video to my channel - I am not sure how critical the music (that is causing the copyright problem) is to the video however.

(I don't want to load it to this forum in case the copyright issue compromises it in some way, Andrew you might want to comment on that.)
gary

Postby Andrew Davie » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:48 pm

gary wrote:Harry, one (of many) ways to watch it is to install the Opera browser. in general it is a good browser to have on your computer (you can have as many different browsers as you like) and now it has free inbuilt VPN - this allows you to watch content that is banned here on copyright grounds by making it look like you are in another country where it isn't banned.

If you want to pursue this method and have downloaded Opera but can't work out how to make the VPN work. let me know and I'll walk you through it.

Alternatively, I could upload an audio-less version of the video to my channel - I am not sure how critical the music (that is causing the copyright problem) is to the video however.

(I don't want to load it to this forum in case the copyright issue compromises it in some way, Andrew you might want to comment on that.)

The forum is just a host; I cannot possibly determine copyright ownership for content posted by others. Just like any hosting forum such as YouTube, I accept that the poster of the item is doing the right thing. If I get a notice of copyright infringement my policy would be to immediately remove the offending item pending determination of actual ownership. In other words, the onus is on the person posting stuff, not me to pre-emptively filter stuff out. I respect copyright, but there is also fair use. As to a particular video not being available in a particular country - I could guess many reasons for that. Probably just *asking* the YouTube person about the video would be the first approach. He/she may very well be happy to have it hosted on the forum.
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby gary » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:20 pm

Andrew Davie wrote:
The forum is just a host; I cannot possibly determine copyright ownership for content posted by others. Just like any hosting forum such as YouTube, I accept that the poster of the item is doing the right thing. If I get a notice of copyright infringement my policy would be to immediately remove the offending item pending determination of actual ownership. In other words, the onus is on the person posting stuff, not me to pre-emptively filter stuff out. I respect copyright, but there is also fair use. As to a particular video not being available in a particular country - I could guess many reasons for that. Probably just *asking* the YouTube person about the video would be the first approach. He/she may very well be happy to have it hosted on the forum.

Just to be clear Andrew, I think there is little doubt what the reason is for the video being unavailable for display in certain countries. It is the music track associated with the video. My position is that if it is in breach of copyright on Youtube when accessed in Australia it is likely be in breach if hosted here - there could be a justification for "fair use" in both cases but determining that, one way or another, is way above my pay grade.

Also, to be clear, when I mentioned I could upload an audioless version to my channel, I was, of course, referring to my Youtube channel not this forum. but I am sure you realised that.
gary

Next

Return to Off Topic