Motor Unit Construction

A build to model parts for a Baird lens box, the type seen on televisors, suitable for 3D printing and use on a televisor model.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Motor Unit Construction

Postby McGee2021 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:18 am

I have finally decided to 3d print the framing mechanism, and i have sent away files to laser cut sheet metal to make the 30 tooth wheel. But in order to do this successfully, ill need to use a double shaft, universal motor. I have looked and looked, but there seems to be an extreme shortage of them. I was hoping to find one similar to the one Denis Asseman used in his televisor replicas, but i have no information on it other than it was french made. Does anybody know where to source this motor? The Motor he used can be seen here: http://users.skynet.be/telehor/nieuwe_pagina_7.htm
Fun times, ain't it?
McGee2021
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Re: Motor Unit Construction

Postby McGee2021 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:00 am

The 150 ohm variable resistor came in the mail today and was about 1.5 times the size of what the seller stated! I have glued together the ceramic resistors, them being one 400 ohm, and five 60 ohm resistors.
Attachments
170704_185525_COLLAGE-1-2[1].jpg
(93.4 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Fun times, ain't it?
McGee2021

Postby McGee2021 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:49 am

170705_154027_COLLAGE-1[1].jpg
(380.68 KiB) Not downloaded yet
I have finished 3d printing the resistance unit, and have printed off a bracket to hold the variable resistance. I am heading out tomorrow to get a piece of wood suitable for the base, and hope to have a base done by Friday.
Fun times, ain't it?
McGee2021

Postby McGee2021 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:30 am

I had the chance last night to get caught up on my part making, and managed to make the motor stand and 20 inch disc hub.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Fun times, ain't it?
McGee2021

Postby McGee2021 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:47 am

I've had a "secondary winter break" this week from school due to snow days, and I used most of my time to design some final renditions of parts, and I have completed the motor unit, minus the sync gear and magnets, which I have sent off the metal for machining. Last nite, I was up till two A.M. designing the brackets to hold the motor to the stand, and I have mounted the motor unit.
Attachments
0121181343-1.jpg
Fun times, ain't it?
McGee2021

Postby McGee2021 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:35 am

I've been off the forum for almost a year now due to an extreme bout of depression, and have finally managed to force myself to continue work on the things i take interest in just short of 2 weeks before me 16th. The only part of this project that i have yet to do is to complete the framing mechanism and to mill off the toothed sync gear, and since Ive recently gone into a position at a local student run engineering firm, ive gained a great advantage to complete this project since we run CNC mills almost daily. Updates to come soon hopefully.
Fun times, ain't it?
McGee2021

Postby Harry Dalek » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:30 pm

Good luck it's looking good look forward to seeing it all going .
Wish I had your skills your a much better constructor than me ....and at 16 I was more hopeless I think I could just make electromagnets then.
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Return to Baird Lens Box and Face plate