Heritage Television project

Anything not specifically related to NBTV, but at least of some technical nature that might be of interest to NBTV members. Items for sale and links to retailers do not belong here.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Steve Anderson

Heritage Television project

Postby Dave Moll » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:08 am

Split from the thread about the supposed demise of Panrock...

Panrock wrote:A 405-line television transmitter (being tackled in association with others). News is being kept updated at http://www.405-line.tv

Steve O

Good to be reminded that this project is still on the go - and to see the latest progress report now that Steve is "back from the grave".
Dave Moll
Anyone have a spare straightjacket?

Re: Panrock.

Postby murphyv310 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:22 am

Hi.
Time to consider building a Cubical Quad for those summer lifts then.
As yet we don't know the frequencies to be used but at least progress is moving on very well indeed.
Cheers Trevor.
murphyv310
Laboratory Assistant

Postby Panrock » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:12 am

That would be great Trevor! You'll hear about our spectrum allocation and power in good time before we start.

Steve O
Panrock
Green padded cells are quite homely.

Postby murphyv310 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:16 pm

Hi Steve.
Yes this is one project I've been following for a long time with great interest. Although where I live is quite built up I have an advantage of being at one of the highest points in the town. The view from the roof is quite spectacular so I've been told, the sea is visible in the Irvine direction, you can see to Mauchline, the hills above Darvel and a high point on the M77.
I also have the space to build and erect a Cubical Quad.
I'd also build a low noise, channelised high gain preamp mounted at the aerial to get as much wanted signal to the receiver.
I'm also considering what set or sets to use. I have a rather tatty Pye V4, also the modified TV22 both of course have continuous tuning in Band 1 and the TV22 has now got flywheel sync, so these are a possibility. There is also a Thorn 981 16 inch portable with the added advantage of a high gain tuner, and other sets too. So I'll not be stuck.
Cheers Trevor.
murphyv310
Laboratory Assistant

Postby Panrock » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:22 am

There's lots more power planned this time. I seem to remember you claimed to receive a weak sync signal even before...

As with many things in life, when you put any idea into practice there's a lot more involved in making it happen than you first imagine. Anyway, we have a team that is working well together (always important) and rest assured we're sticking at it!

Steve O
Panrock

Re: Heritage Television project

Postby Panrock » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:46 am

Trevor, what sort of gain over a dipole are you expecting from your Cubical Quad?

Steve O
Panrock

Postby murphyv310 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:38 pm

Hi Steve.
Allegedly the one I am considering would be roughly between a four and five element Yagi but not as cumbersome. I also think David Boynes is considering a similar set up. Having effectively retired due to health I'm able to make time for projects although not at a fast pace. Once I know the actual frequencies I'll set about building the aerial.
Yes I was very lucky at the time of the test as for a short time there must have been a lift to reveal very weak syncw.
Cheers Trevor.
murphyv310
Laboratory Assistant

Postby murphyv310 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:11 pm

Hi.
Also there is a particular spot a few miles from here that a lot of the radio fraternity go to due to possibly ducting that gives tremendous signals on all frequencies, one place that I'll try a portable during lift conditions.
Cheers Trevor.
murphyv310
Laboratory Assistant

Return to Off Topic