TV Licence why ...but we had them

Links to relevant web sites, copies of patent documents and newspaper and magazine articles. Feel free to post relevant items here. This forum is moderated and non-relevant postings will be deleted.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Re: TV Licence why ...but we had them

Postby gary » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:37 pm

Dave Moll wrote:
gary wrote:...the "meme" used to promote the change was "8 cents a day" designed to give tax payers the idea that it wasn't costing them much, of course some paid much more than that, and some not at all.

Roughly what would that equate to at today at today's prices?

For comparison, given that the UK licence is around £150 a year (my renewal last year was at £147), I reckon that works out at a little under £5 a week, or £0.70 a day. If £1 is still very roughly A$2, that would be about $1.40 per household, regardless of how many taxpayers live together.

roughly 19 cents a day, but the trick was that 8c a day was for every man woman and child in the country. In fact if you calculate it now it would be only 11.6c a day as our population has increased significantly over the 30 odd years.

So if you convert that into the average sized household, that's 1.61 x 2.6 ~= 30c

However it is estimated that 46% of Australian households pay NO net tax, so that becomes 56c

That's for the ABC alone, wow if I add SBS (Special Broadcasting Services) that rises by 26% to 71c

1 pound = AU$1.78 so 0.7 pound ~= AU$1.25

That would then have to be further derated by the number of channels/'stations provided by the different services.
gary

Postby gary » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:54 pm

Harry Dalek wrote: Gary transmitting electromagnetic waves i think yes receiving them i find very unfair idea.

Why, consumers generally have to pay don't they?

Harry Dalek wrote:Well then its unfair for a start some get fined others bugger all .

Well it's unfair that some have to pay tax and others don't isn't it?

Harry Dalek wrote:...easy to pick tv viewers back then with the massive tv antennas pointed at sydney

Yes but the license was for watching the ABC (no SBS then of course), it wasn't for watching the commercial channels, you didn't need a license to watch them. They couldn't know if those antennas were being used to watch the ABC or just the commercial channels. In truth, the only way they could possibly know is to see or hear the programme through a window or door - bloody peeping Toms they were!

Harry Dalek wrote:I am a pirate at heart Gary !

I could tell by the patch, the parrot, and the odd "arrrrgh me hearties" you come out with every now and then...
gary

Postby Dave Moll » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:54 am

gary wrote:the license was for watching the ABC (no SBS then of course), it wasn't for watching the commercial channels, you didn't need a license to watch them.

That is another difference between Australia and the UK. Although the UK licence is to fund the BBC, it is required for receiving any television broadcast. Although this traditionally related only to receiving programmes as they are aired rather than using catch-up services via the internet, it has recently been extended to all BBC online material.
Dave Moll
Anyone have a spare straightjacket?

Previous

Return to Resources