printed Nipkow Jigsaw

A "new fashioned" televisor, using an Arduino to drive the motor and display.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Re: printed Nipkow Jigsaw

Postby FlyMario » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:24 am

Ahh Hah! You are the one who created that design! Funny that I should find out that today when I am on my 8th pizza/puzzle slice of your design. Mine is in ABS (my preferred material). Not sure if I will use the disk though, it was a lot of curiosity and appreciation for the design.

Only today did I find this Construction Diaries part of this site. Somehow I just glossed past that.

Anyways great work on the design. Going to glue it together tonight.
FlyMario

Postby Andrew Davie » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:46 pm

FlyMario wrote:Ahh Hah! You are the one who created that design! Funny that I should find out that today when I am on my 8th pizza/puzzle slice of your design. Mine is in ABS (my preferred material). Not sure if I will use the disk though, it was a lot of curiosity and appreciation for the design.

Only today did I find this Construction Diaries part of this site. Somehow I just glossed past that.

A bit of a failed experiment, I think. There are better ways, but it was fun trying :)
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby Robonz » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:18 pm

Where Andrew had a big win was his Arduinovisor. You should seriously look at it. It made building this thing pretty easy. The only challenge is the actual disc which I laser cut.
Robonz
Evil Genius

Postby Andrew Davie » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:21 pm

Robonz wrote:Where Andrew had a big win was his Arduinovisor. You should seriously look at it. It made building this thing pretty easy. The only challenge is the actual disc which I laser cut.

That was fun working on it the last few months, wasn't it :) Optimising, improving....
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby Robonz » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:25 pm

It certainly was Andrew, you are pretty good with the C code. My TV is sitting here waiting for me to get back on to the next steps.

I can say my customers love looking at. I have it set up in my workshop in good working condition. Kids and adults really enjoying watching it run.

Cheers
Keith
Robonz
Evil Genius

Postby FlyMario » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:53 pm

Andrew Davie wrote:
FlyMario wrote:Ahh Hah! You are the one who created that design! Funny that I should find out that today when I am on my 8th pizza/puzzle slice of your design. Mine is in ABS (my preferred material). Not sure if I will use the disk though, it was a lot of curiosity and appreciation for the design.

A bit of a failed experiment, I think. There are better ways, but it was fun trying :)

I wouldn't call it a failed experiment. I glued mine together and it is strong. I used Plastruct Plastic Weld to glue the pieces together (although I hate saying glue). The disk looks true however I am kind of fond of using the records I have so probably won't use the disk. Also, it would take a lot of time trying to seal the seams with epoxy putty not to mention the sanding.

I was pleasantly surprised! Don't tell my wife about me welding it together on her stove top :)
Attachments
20180720_161238[1].jpg
20180720_160441[1].jpg
FlyMario

Postby Robonz » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:02 pm

It looks great, but can you get a good picture? Its amazing how the tiniest aperture inaccuracy whether it be the hole size or shape, or the position can ruin a TV picture. Also you probably want it black for contrast.

If you had a big enough printer that could do a disc in one piece and a spool of black plastic, I think the chances of it working well would increase quite a bit.

Cheers
Keith
Robonz
Evil Genius

Postby FlyMario » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:16 am

Robonz wrote:It looks great, but can you get a good picture? Its amazing how the tiniest aperture inaccuracy whether it be the hole size or shape, or the position can ruin a TV picture. Also you probably want it black for contrast.

If you had a big enough printer that could do a disc in one piece and a spool of black plastic, I think the chances of it working well would increase quite a bit.

Cheers
Keith

Yeah, as far as the color. I have lovely Chalkboard paint that would do a nice job. It didn't seem too important to worry about the color since at the start I knew it would take a ton of filling and sanding.

I wish I had a 12" x 12" 3D printer but do not have one available. You can bet that I would have printed a disk with black filament already if I did :)

300mm printer would be nice but I would never trust printing to the edge. It would have to be 400mm x 400mm minimum before I would try it.
FlyMario

Postby Andrew Davie » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:32 am

Robonz wrote:It looks great, but can you get a good picture? Its amazing how the tiniest aperture inaccuracy whether it be the hole size or shape, or the position can ruin a TV picture. Also you probably want it black for contrast.

My plan was always to cover the back side with aluminium foil, so in that case the material colour doesn't really matter, I think.
Probably the best part of this disc design was the staggered guide holes for the spiral - with just 1/8 of the disc available, it gives sufficient guides for all 32 holes in a neat spiral. Anyway, I will never use it either - I threw my prototype out just a couple of weeks ago.
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Previous

Return to Andrew Davie's Arduino Televisor