HD NBTV?

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Re: Errata

Postby gary » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:23 am

Steve Anderson wrote:P.S. In some other thread, possibly a year ago I moaned that there was no spell-checker on this board. Someone suggested composing in Word, spell-checking, then a cut-and-paste into the forum. (I'm a crappy speller). I've recently dumped Microsoft and now run Linux, and as I type this very text it's spell checking all the time. OK, it doesn't like colour as opposed to color, but it can be added to the dictionary. If you have access to a second machine it's worth having a play with Linux, believe me.....wanna good deal on a used car?

Steve, I may have be the person who suggested that rather naive work-around, I have since become aware of the myriad of free spelling plug-ins available for all the major browsers, IE, Mozilla, Opera, etc. These do the job much more conveniently. The only advantage of the former method is that you can use the spell checker of your choice. This post has been spell-checked by an IE plug-in set to U.K. dictionary.

Whilst I have used Linux both professionally and domestically, I still feel that it is so difficult to install, and has so many problems with all but the most common of hardware arrangements that it is still not really an option. HOWEVER! the great pile of doggy doo-doo known as Vista, is definitely pushing me closer to a different conclusion. :-(
gary

Re: Errata

Postby Steve Anderson » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:42 pm

gary wrote:...HOWEVER! the great pile of doggy doo-doo known as Vista, is definitely pushing me closer to a different conclusion. :-(

I reached that conclusion some time back!....Hence Linux. The version I'm using is OK, PCLinuxOS. The installation of it on my laptop was no problem at all.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

..and onto 72 lines...

Postby Steve Anderson » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:13 pm

Here's the initial results of 72 lines on a 3" CRT, as expected, not that wonderful, but a slight improvement from 48-lines...simply need to go to a bigger CRT.

Steve A.

P.S. That's my father, so no disrespect please, he's still going strong at 72....one could say that's the reason I chose 72 lines....but it wasn't.

Added later. As it turned out there were fewer changes required than I expected. The dividers were altered to produce 480Hz line-rate instead of 600Hz, R213 was increased from 27k to 47k in the vertical timebase, VR201 and VR203 had enough adjustment range....but only just!

The 6.67Hz flicker of course was far worse than 12.5Hz, the picture below was a still and required an exposure of five seconds.
Attachments
dad2a.gif
dad2a.gif (35.62 KiB) Viewed 7508 times
Steve Anderson

Postby Steve Anderson » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:44 pm

As a follow-on, here's some more screen shots at 72 lines. That's it for now, onto something else...

Steve A.
Attachments
Montage1.jpg
Montage1.jpg (196.04 KiB) Viewed 7463 times
Steve Anderson

Postby Steve Anderson » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:58 pm

If nothing else than to resurrect this thread here's a shot of the start of a multi-standard display. This new CRT item is a multi-standard NBTV CRT display using a 5" tube, a 1" tube as a waveform monitor with electronically generated cursors. And eleven other tubes for deflection, audio and also a 'magic-eye' tube (EM84) thrown in for good measure. It displays 36 lines at 26.7Hz frame rate, 36 lines at 53.3Hz with 2:1 interlace, 72 lines at 6.7Hz and 72 lines at 13.3Hz with 2:1 interlace.

The photo below shows the audio stages along with the +310V rectifier, but I don't expect it to be complete before the end of the year...it's quite a large undertaking. The EF86 (on the right) looks a little crooked, but works fine.

Steve A.
Attachments
Rectifier and Audio 1.jpg
Rectifier and Audio 1.jpg (79.41 KiB) Viewed 7163 times
Steve Anderson

Previous

Return to Mechanical NBTV