Making a start

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Making a start

Postby Viewmaster » Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:18 am

Have made a start on my camera/monitor.
Using a rather nice 1920s loudspeaker oak cabinet in keeping with the mechanical TV period.
On LH side is cut out for the camera...I have just temporarily placed the camera back end condenser optics in the hole to show where the camera is eventually going.
On the RH side is the monitor viewing cut out. Most of the fret will be retained.
Inside the cabinet can be seen the ali upright which is holding the VHS drum drive for the Nipkow bearing.
Albert.
Attachments
NBTV 1920s cabinet.jpg
Camera/monitor cabinet
NBTV 1920s cabinet.jpg (13.4 KiB) Viewed 6834 times
Viewmaster
Frankenstein was my uncle.

Postby DrZarkov » Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:43 am

What a beautyful case! But do I see it right, you want to make the monitor and the camera-part on the same side of the case? Unusual, but if you mostly film yourself or you want to use it as a kind of picture-telephone, why not?
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

Televisor cabinet.

Postby Stephen » Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:53 am

This is a beautiful cabinet for a camera/monitor, Albert. You might consider leaving the central area open to display the scanning disc. You could even apply a sort of pattern on the face of the scanning disc, perhaps stroboscopic so it appears stationary at speed.

Since you are placing the camera optics on the left side of the disc, I assume that the camera optics shall project a top/bottom, left/right inverted image on the camera scanning area of the disc. Otherwise you would be transmitting an inverted image with such an arrangement.

This is different than the camera/monitor arrangement in the handbook, wherein the camera optics are on the front right side of the disc and the display optics on the rear right side of the disc. Having the camera optics and the display optics both on the right side of the disc is only possible in this case because the front/rear arrangement of the camera and display optics.
Stephen
Stephen
Anyone have a spare straightjacket?

Postby Viewmaster » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:14 am

My layout is open to alteration (plenty of that in store no doubt!) but wish to try emulate this design which was shown at a Loughborough Convention. The camera is on the left and faces to the rear. The monitor is on the right facing forward.

As I mentioned in my earlier postings I wish to try and copy, say, Laurel and Hardy in big close ups, rather than my own ugly mug! :lol:

Test cards etc are fine for testing as I said, but then what?
Albert.
Attachments
NBTVcamera-viewer.jpg
NBTVcamera-viewer.jpg (14.03 KiB) Viewed 6820 times
Viewmaster
Frankenstein was my uncle.

Return to Mechanical NBTV