The NBTV convention

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

The NBTV convention

Postby Viewmaster » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:53 am

I went to the NBTV convention on Saturday at Loughboro' University.
This was my first visit and I was very impressed.

So much work, dedication and knowledge had gone into the machines on display.
I never realised before what great diversity there was in NBTV.
Colour, 3D, lasers and a carousel too.
Nipkows with mini lenses and some fine engineering shown by Peter Asseman who showed tiny laser cut holes of .3mm which one could hardly see with the naked eye, and which caught my eye!

So, thanks to all those who took the trouble to set up all their gear for us to see and to the organisers for getting the show on the road.
Albert.
Viewmaster
Frankenstein was my uncle.

Re: The NBTV convention

Postby M3DVQ » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:24 am

Viewmaster wrote:I went to the NBTV convention on Saturday at Loughboro' University.
This was my first visit and I was very impressed.

So much work, dedication and knowledge had gone into the machines on display.
I never realised before what great diversity there was in NBTV.
Colour, 3D, lasers and a carousel too.
Nipkows with mini lenses and some fine engineering shown by Peter Asseman who showed tiny laser cut holes of .3mm which one could hardly see with the naked eye, and which caught my eye!

So, thanks to all those who took the trouble to set up all their gear for us to see and to the organisers for getting the show on the road.
Albert.

I would echo all this, yesterday was my second convention, but I still haven't progressed past the shy wide eyed amazement stage yet! wonderful to see so much excellent equipment, and great talent in one room! :)
M3DVQ
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby Dave Moll » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:06 pm

I must be M3DVQ's identical twin :D

This was also my second NBTVA Convention - and I too am amazed by the achievements of the various exhibitors. What a splendid idea to have a guided tour of the exhibits 8)

I was glad to hear that I'm not the only one who hasn't scaled the heights of technical acievements, but is merely a fascinated looker-on. The fact that there are those of us less technical was brought out during the annual meeting at the end of the day - with the hint that someone like me should write an article for the newsletter. I shall see what I can put together.
Dave Moll
Anyone have a spare straightjacket?

Postby DrZarkov » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:43 pm

Did somebody take any pictures? Unfortunally it was almost impossible to come for me...
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

Postby Klaas Robers » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:13 pm

Volker,
we should plan a visit next year. My home is for you almost at the road to there, we should be able to organise something together.

In previous years we had the High Speed Sealink from Hoek van Holland to Harwich. I put my car on there at 16:00 and at 19:00 I was driving in the UK, on the wrong side of the road (yes, it is we that drive on the right side) up to Loughboro, where I was at 22:00.

Now the HSS has been taken out of operation I (we) should find a new way to go there. But we have one year of time.......
Tunnel is not an option for me, my car runs on LPG, forbidden in the Canal Tunnel. On the other hand it looks to me as too far driving.
Klaas Robers
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby DrZarkov » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:38 pm

My car is running on LPG, too, but I've made good experience with P&O from Calais to Dover, but not by car. In the past I left my car in Calais and went to London by train or bus.
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

Postby Viewmaster » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:30 am

DrZarkov wrote:Did somebody take any pictures? ...

Pictures on NBTVA site here....... full size images are mighty large tho' for those on dial up!
Albert.

http://88.111.88.201:22221/public/NBTV/ ... ntion.html
Viewmaster
Frankenstein was my uncle.

Postby M3DVQ » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:33 am

Those pictures are hosted on my site, they weren't really for general consumption as it were, hence the very large files. I had placed them there so chris, the NBTVA webmaster could download any he wanted for the NBTVA site but he linked to it instead! :-)
I shall reduce and enhance the pictures at some point in the near future, and put them up instead.
Also, could people refrain from linking directly to pages on the server... and link to http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/alistairsportal/ instead.
The server is on my home broadband connection, so the address changes every couple of weeks, rendering the links useless. that portal page is always automatically updated with the correct link, so people can point at my server. cheers :-)
M3DVQ

Postby moderator » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:54 am

So why not post the pictures on the forum, and host them here? Granted, they're insanely big right now. A bit of reduction, though, and this is exactly the sort of thing that this forum is for.
Site Admin

Postby M3DVQ » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:59 am

once they're not insanely big it'll be fine having them on my site, that's what it's for too :D got some work to do now, but I'll sort them out later this evening :-)

[edit]
the pictures are now ensmallenified, and are there in the same place as before
[/edit]

P.S. feel free to post them on this site if desired
M3DVQ

Postby Klaas Robers » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:36 pm

Chris sent me more pictures. I am going to sort them out and place them on the NBTV-site. Any way there should be a report on the NBTV-site, to make it complete in succession from the past years....

Although there are quite some pictures that I can't place.
Klaas Robers
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Return to Mechanical NBTV