MUTR Kit review :cry:

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Postby pielock373 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:34 am

pielock373 wrote:Here is a signal from the MUTR disc transferred to an I-POD. This is the output of the I-pod. It does look inverted to me. So the question I have now is was the MUTR disc recorded inverted or are all my outputs on 5 different sources all inverted? RRRR...I have a headache!! :roll: I need a drink :wink:

I got up this morning and looked at the signal again from the O-scope and determined that the sinc pulses on the top had to be an inversion so I took your Idea Gary about finding inversion software and IT WORKED! I had to convert all the WAIV. files on the MUTR disc to WAV. format and then invert them and next thing you know there was Steamboat Willy in perfect sinc! My brightness pot is messed up and I am going to need to replace that when I get a chance too. You wiggle the stem and the picture flashed light and dark. But other then that it is now working great!
Follow your bliss, it will open doors that you didn't even know were there!
pielock373
Laboratory Assistant

Mutr Televisor

Postby kenwhit » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:43 am

I am a satisfied Mutr customer (now!). I had one or two troubles and found the Mutr staff very helpful, by e-mail. I had two portable CD players and found that one was rubbish. The other (a Philips) was OK but a bit low on output and had no Line Out socket, only a Headphone socket. I then bought what must be one of the last personal CD players on sale - a Matsui for £10. This has a Line Out socket, but the result was disappointing to say the least! Looking at the signal on an oscilloscope, the Matsui signal was inverted, but the Philips was not inverted. At Mutr's suggestion I used the software "Audible" to invert the downloaded files and then burned a new CD. It would seem that some CD players output sound one way up and others the other. For music it doesn't matter. Without using the Mutr televisor, one can test the CD files using the software NBTViewer. This software has an Invert option, so this is not an unusual problem.
kenwhit
"Fester, enough of the light-bulbs!"

Re: Mutr Televisor

Postby gary » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:38 am

kenwhit wrote:... NBTViewer. This software has an Invert option, so this is not an unusual problem.

Alas you are quite correct, it is not unusual for sound cards and audio devices to invert the signal, and yes that is why the invert option was added. There are several inverting circuits published on this forum in case you want to create a more permanent solution.
gary

Postby Lowtone » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:29 am

Hello

I'm new to the forum.
I bought a Mutr televisor and i found it this morning in the mail box.

At the begining I didn't knew how to make it works, but i figured out that it was because it was plugged in the audio out, and not the line out of the cd player. Now it works well.
I don't know if I can use it as a camera too.

Since my childhood I read books about history of television. I really like that, and the technical part too. But nowadays when I see the new programs, i think that tv is boring.

That I want to do with this televisor, is to test recordings on cassettes tapes ( because i love them ) and try to get the best out of them.
If I bought the televisor, it is because i think i am not able to build one by myself.
r a d i o P T T v i s i o n
Lowtone
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby DrZarkov » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:51 pm

Hello Lowtone, welcome! The MUTR-kit is a good pint to start, it works very good. If you want to improve the little televisor, the first thing is to replace the diffusor by a better one. Very good is for example architect-paper. Another good improvement is to replace the wak red LED by an ultrabright white or orange LED.

You can't use that televisor as a camera, at least not without many changes, which makes it easier to make your own camera by yourself. As a source for pictures I recommend that software: http://users.tpg.com.au/users/gmillard/nbtv.htm
It is very much better than the CD which came with the MUTR-kit. Another option is the Aurora ( http://www.tech-retro.com/Aurora_Design ... erter.html ), there is a small version for mechanical TV only available now. It costs including shipping less than 200 EUR. With the Aurora you can convert any video source, like from a DVD-player, sat-receiver or french TNT, so you can replace your boring TV in the living-room with the MUTR-kit. :D
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

Postby Lowtone » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:18 pm

Thanks. The software works well, but I just noticed tonight that I must use the "invert" button to get a picture. It looks like the same problem as above, but the cd gives good pictures. I really enjoy to see mechanical television in action :P

For the camera i don't think I'm able to put resistors, condensators and things together to build something; it seems difficult to me.
At least I could change the Led, and add a speaker

The converter looks great ( and it even does 819 lines ! ) but it is expensive. But I have a card in the computer which can display pictures from analog tv and vcr, and the Nbtv software is able to get pictures off that :P
Lowtone

Postby DrZarkov » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:19 pm

ou saw that there are three different Aurora converters?

a) A miracle machine that converts everything to anything from first experimental 24 lines up to french HDTV with 819 lines, in all colour systems, even for mechanical TV, for the price of a used car...
b) a converter for electronic TV only for 405, 441 and 819 lines
c) a mechanical only converter for 235 US$, which is currently 164,00 EUR. I've paid including shipping and taxes about 200 EUR. (Well, some time ago I've paid for a second hand Renault 4 F6 200 EUR...)
DrZarkov

Postby Lowtone » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:22 am

Oh I see... :o
Thises machines seems amazing, but I dont have the money right now, I will use computer first.
DrZarkov wrote:for the price of a used car...

And I don't even have a car :lol:

Do you think, If i change the Nipkow's disc, this Televisor would display the 30 lines format?

Is there a solution for the inverted signal? I am trying to make testcards but i have to invert the signal each time with the computer :(
Lowtone

Postby gary » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:58 am

See here for a hardware solution:

http://www.taswegian.com/NBTV/forum/vie ... t=inverter

Or for a software solution use NBTV The Big Picture to play it out and set the "Invert Video" option under the "Sound Card" menu (unset "mute video of course).
gary

Postby DrZarkov » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:25 pm

And yes, it is possible to change the Nipkow-disc to another one for displaying 30 lines. But don't forget that you will need anpther stroboscope on your disc, one with 30 fields instead of 32!
DrZarkov

Postby Lowtone » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:51 am

ok thanks :D I will try that someday :P
Lowtone

Re: MUTR Kit review :cry:

Postby Lowtone » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:52 pm

This was my first post here on the forum. Well after all those years i finally joined the association this week :D

Going back on topic, the only improvements i got on my MUTR were done by an electronician ( since i'm not one ).
I asked for a signal inverter, it appears that the input of the televisor was inverted compared to club standard.
Second thing was an alimentation to plug this on the mains instead of using batteries.
This was done in 2011 or 2012. Since then it took lot of dust.

I got interested in electronic television and many other things in the meantime but always plan to come back.

I will soon remove the dust and repair it, spinning the disk again.

( I later plan to buy parts, like club disc, and assemble a better mechanical television )
Lowtone

Re: MUTR Kit review :cry:

Postby smrutibora » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:08 pm

All things considered, it is certainly not the sensor separating. I have attempted it at each possible separation straight up to around .5 MM any closer and it starts to rub on the plate! I am frustrated with it, I figure the unit must have an issue. I down stacked a test card from the NBTV site and have had no karma with that either.

I messaged MUTR and got an auto answer saying they will be out of contact until Aug tenth! Fantastic...
smrutibora
"Fester, enough of the light-bulbs!"

Previous

Return to Mechanical NBTV