Images

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Images

Postby moderator » Tue May 08, 2007 1:35 pm

Could everyone please give consideration to image sizes when posting pictures. Images are very welcome on the forums, but to keep things to a reasonable file size, and also physical size onscreen, I have been reducing images to a maximum width of 640 pixels, unless there is a specific need for them to be larger. It is helpful if images are cropped to areas of interest, too. The rule of thumb is... as large as necessary, as small as possible. Please use JPG format where possible. Circuit diagrams in PNG format are fine, if transparency is required.

If you are unable or unwilling to do the above, that's fine -- I will continue the process of reviewing and editing images where necessary. But it would save me a bit of work if you could follow these guidelines!
Last edited by moderator on Sun May 27, 2007 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Site Admin

Images and file sizes.

Postby Steve Anderson » Tue May 08, 2007 2:11 pm

Andrew,

All noted and understood. Apart from the issue of large pictures/diagrams 'overflowing' ones' display, are we running out of storage space on this board?

I'm assuming that this board is a 'freebie', or is someone paying for it? (Yourself?) There are no adverts that I have noticed.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Re: Images and file sizes.

Postby moderator » Tue May 08, 2007 2:20 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:Andrew,

All noted and understood. Apart from the issue of large pictures/diagrams 'overflowing' ones' display, are we running out of storage space on this board?

I'm assuming that this board is a 'freebie', or is someone paying for it? (Yourself?) There are no adverts that I have noticed.

Steve A.

We have plenty of space. There are no adverts. I am paying for the board's bandwidth and space, but I have not reached a point yet where I need to expand my limits with my host -- so all is OK. When I do get to that point, I understand it is an additional US$3/month for 10GB increase. I'd just like to keep things as efficient as possible from the start, so that it doesn't become a problem.
Site Admin

Postby Viewmaster » Tue May 08, 2007 8:12 pm

If anyone has difficulty in resizing down there is a freebie I use to do this here.
http://www.virtualzone.de/resizer/

It will resize single or whole folders of pictures too.
Albert.
Viewmaster
Frankenstein was my uncle.

Another freebie viewer/resiser...

Postby Steve Anderson » Tue May 08, 2007 8:35 pm

This is the one I use for day-to-day images...also a freebie...never expires..no adware etc...also many European languages...

http://www.irfanview.com/

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby Dave Moll » Tue May 08, 2007 10:21 pm

The main issue of physical width of pictures is that a picture greater than my screen width results in all the text in the thread also overflowing the width. I then have to keep scrolling left and right to read the text - which breaks up the flow of reading - especially when it is something highly technical with which I am struggling anyway.
Dave Moll
Anyone have a spare straightjacket?

Further thougts..

Postby Steve Anderson » Wed May 09, 2007 9:05 pm

Andrew,

How much storage space do we have on this board? The reason I ask is that maybe it would be a good idea to have a section where those with facilities to generate NBTV pictures & sound could upload them for others to use.

A mono (i.e. video only) .wav file sampled at 44.1kHz of 30 seconds is about 2.5Mb. Would this gobble up too much space quickly?

I WinZipped the file (lossless) and it came down to just under 1Mb. However, others came out at about 1.5Mb.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Re: Further thougts..

Postby M3DVQ » Thu May 10, 2007 3:09 am

How much storage space do we have on this board? The reason I ask is that maybe it would be a good idea to have a section where those with facilities to generate NBTV pictures & sound could upload them for others to use.

A mono (i.e. video only) .wav file sampled at 44.1kHz of 30 seconds is about 2.5Mb. Would this gobble up too much space quickly?

I WinZipped the file (lossless) and it came down to just under 1Mb. However, others came out at about 1.5Mb.

Steve A.

I'm happy to host any large files like nbtv videos on my server, I have plenty of space. The download speed is just very slow...
if anyone's interested just drop me an e-mail.

as another suggestion, maybe you could upload it to a file sending site like http://sendspace.com/ or similar, I think a lot of these sort of sites delete the file from their server after a set amount of time, or only allow a certain number of downloads a day etc, on the free accounts.
M3DVQ
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Storage space.

Postby Steve Anderson » Thu May 10, 2007 1:26 pm

Thanks for the offer, but I think it better that we wait for Andrews' response first.

I checked out the Sendspace site, and yes, files get deleted if they haven't been downloaded in 7 days. With our limited membership at the moment it's not viable, but a good idea.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Re: Further thougts..

Postby moderator » Thu May 10, 2007 1:40 pm

Steve A.

We have about 4GB free at the moment.

I am happy to have a section where NBTV pictures/sound can be posted. I don't think we'll have too many space problems. The large images have several issues -- needless waste of space, too large for viewing comfortably on a screen, bandwidth issues (both time and cost). NBTV picture/sound files would have none of these issues, as they would only be downloaded occasionally.

The new section is 'Images and Sound' at http://www.taswegian.com/NBTV/forum/viewforum.php?f=6 -- please feel free to add content!
Site Admin

WAV Files.

Postby Steve Anderson » Thu May 10, 2007 2:14 pm

Andrew,

I notice that .wav files are not allowed to be uploaded at the moment, I'm not sure if this is a limitation imposed by the host or a condition set by yourself?

Would you prefer we 'Zipped' them?

Steve A.

P.S. The same applies to .dwg files for AutoCad, though few here probably use it.
Steve Anderson

Re: WAV Files.

Postby moderator » Thu May 10, 2007 2:18 pm

I notice that .wav files are not allowed to be uploaded at the moment, I'm not sure if this is a limitation imposed by the host or a condition set by yourself?

Would you prefer we 'Zipped' them?

Steve A.

P.S. The same applies to .dwg files for AutoCad, though few here probably use it.

I have now enabled uploads of WAV and MP3 format files. Also, DWG should be allowed, too. I have no preference as to format at this stage.
Cheers
A
Site Admin

Return to Mechanical NBTV