Mechanical video recorder

Centralised area for notes about construction projects. Each project has its own sub-forum. In the sub-forums will be topics relevant to parts of that project (e.g., there might be a topic on motor control). If you start a construction diary, just post in the forum with your project name as the topic, and a moderator will create a sub-forum for your project.

Moderators: Steve Anderson, Dave Moll, Andrew Davie

Mechanical video recorder

Postby Harry Dalek » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:02 pm

Well my title is very wishful thinking but don't try never know ...See if i can get to Alberts Drum video recorder stage ...
i have not posted this project here till i tackled 2 of the mechanical problems i needed to get out of the way before i can even think about caving a bad sound signal track on a disk ..
So first was the turn table i didn't want to reuse a record player due to its size and i like to make things smaller where possible ,i am not great making stuff from scratch but repurposing junk is more my thing ...had the idea the old dvd burners might be a way to go first 2 ended up dead ends mainly due to i wanted stepper motors for the job what was on the dvd burners motor wise is not useful without gearing and fitting the geared motor for the recording arm and turn table stepper took a bit of trial and error and very much so luck with what i had handy .
What is shown todate 2 insides of dvd burners for a test bed to mount on and for the record arm ...a old large HD motor for the turn table ..a old video camera lens geared motor replacing the tiny stepper for the once laser arm ...to jerky for slow speeds...
The recording a speaker needle and other arm the stylus for play back .
This now all seems correct to at least look workable for some sound recording ...... on testing really a good 2 weeks work here and many days of head scratching almost giving up ...what i am a little worried about the stepper noise might end up on the recordings mmm..
I wanted a stepper for the turntable to test different speeds and adjust the recording speed for the audio result .

Attachments
DSCN9806.JPG
DSCN9817.JPG
DSCN9816.JPG
DSCN9814.JPG
DSCN9819.JPG
DSCN9812_x264.mp4
(5.15 MiB) Downloaded 72 times
Screen 00014.jpg
Screen 00014.jpg (124.9 KiB) Viewed 116 times
Screen 00015.jpg
Screen 00015.jpg (68.44 KiB) Viewed 116 times
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Re: Mechanical video recorder

Postby Harry Dalek » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:31 pm

What i have been up to has been testing and redesign ... first problem was replace the main stepper not because it didn't work but the noise of the stepper i could hear in the pick stylus .. that got replaced with a DC motor not what i wanted due to increased speed and less torque without a number of pulley systems but you can cut tracks with it still and it's quiet with a simple add on .
Problems didn't stop here finding nothing really recording on the tracks next looking in to the record lathe cutter there was only one thing to do and start testing it on a known working record player for testing ...i was not sure if it was the pick up or the cutter that was a problem .
Trying some hand tracking with a radio feeding the cutter on a quick turntable redesign i found my little record lathe cutter was a little to weak i was just using the output of the laptop to drive it and i was to weak i can just get a track to cutting to the cd with this set up the amp in the radio is just enough to do this as idea below .
IMG_0087.JPG

Next i used a simple quick again knock up but a better speaker this seems the right size for the job with my not so accurate tracking and angle of cut i still could manage to get some thing first go

IMG_0088.JPG

Next the set up is a very quick knock up to get some sort of result to see if i could record a sound... tests... pretty much the first short video i got the angle sort of ok on the cutter ...the other two i only put up as i recorded how i was trying this but the recorded results were crap really least i now know its possible if i can do it so badly ! all trial and error angles how hard you press it in drag it so on...have some thing to think on for for better results .

Attachments
MVI_0081_x264.mp4
(52.62 MiB) Downloaded 83 times
MVI_0070_x264.mp4
(6.82 MiB) Downloaded 53 times
MVI_0079_x264.mp4
(66.15 MiB) Downloaded 81 times
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Postby smeezekitty » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:08 am

Seems like it is being swamped by the low frequencies. Might try high-pass filtering the signal before you record it
smeezekitty
Evil Genius

Postby Harry Dalek » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:17 am

smeezekitty wrote:Seems like it is being swamped by the low frequencies. Might try high-pass filtering the signal before you record it

Yes it's recording more the low frequencies ,I was not to bothered yesterday more just to see what cutting head worked ,I will see if I can do better next time.
Harry Dalek

The redesign

Postby Harry Dalek » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:31 pm

Another redesign today might as well post up what i am up to
i need more torque to cut deeper i think ..this cut below was a very minimal cut with the old design turntable table speed to fast even on a commercial player the tracks were to close even for it to track the grove ,tried used some NBTV to record here.....some results on the CD surface nothing more than a curiosity for now .
IMG_0092.jpg
IMG_0092.jpg (27.89 KiB) Viewed 27 times

So looked into the Turntable design again given up on the Stepper motor tried 2 a large and a smaller one its just to noisy and direct DC motor pulley drive torque was lacking i am using now a small geared motor again out of an old video camera lens zoom ...it's not to bad lots of torque pretty quiet too out of its case ..case does let you hear it might try some felt in the case stop it being a loud speaker !
On the case it was some thing i found laying around and since i was doing this gave if a go to see if i could get it to fit with removal of the cutting head play arm and platter then it does they are easy enough to fit and remove .
Any way back to work !
Attachments
IMG_0095.JPG
IMG_0095.JPG (50.05 KiB) Viewed 27 times
IMG_0097.JPG
IMG_0097.JPG (47.54 KiB) Viewed 27 times
IMG_0099.JPG
IMG_0099.JPG (49.28 KiB) Viewed 27 times
b22d26542cd913f99ad594539abda1de.jpg
b22d26542cd913f99ad594539abda1de.jpg (68.94 KiB) Viewed 23 times
Harry Dalek

Postby Viewmaster » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:17 pm

My God Harry, you are a glutton for punishment !

If you use a speaker to cut grooves it must be damped I found.
I used a rubber pad for the speaker to drive into, to offer some resistance,
not free running as it were.

Looks like you are lateral cutting, Harry.
Edison and I ( :D ) used hill and dale cutting.

Either way, there is a very delicate balance between over and under modulation.
Too much under and the noise level goes up on playback.
Too much over and one groove runs in to the next.

I always examined my grooves under a microscope to see if the
modulation was OK and this also told me
what the highest frequency was being recorded.

Good luck. I spent a few years developing mine......
Trial and error. Trail and error......mostly error :D
“One small step for a man,"......because he has Arthritis.
Albert.
Viewmaster
Frankenstein was my uncle.

Return to Construction Diaries