NipkowDXF print issue + how do we drill accurate discs?

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

NipkowDXF print issue + how do we drill accurate discs?

Postby aussie_bloke » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:40 am

G'day all. Been a while since I posted here.

Anyhow I am wanting to get right back into NBTV again and I am wanting to drill more accurate Nipkow discs as the ones I made in the past are NEVER accurate no matter how hard I try to make them! To create templates I've obviously been using Gary Millard's NipkowDXF program and as good as it is in creating templates, I find there is a problem in printing them, the template is never in the centre of the paper but to one corner and out of frame (see pic) and there is no way of positioning the template to the centre of the paper in print setup nor print preview before printing and this is a problem because printing to multiple pages and having to slice and align multiple pieces together and place them over the disc will create inaccuracy to begin with. My only way of printing the whole template is to hit print screen, past in Photoshop and print from there which the template looks pixelated in comparison to printing from NipkowDXF. Is there a way to position the template to the centre of the page in NipkowDXF before printing or am I stuck with the described problem?

Also as said I'm not good at drilling an accurate Nipkow disc and there's always holes that are off as the drill does veer off even when centre punching, I drill steel/aluminum brackets at work and drills do veer a bit when hand drilling even when centre punching. I don't have a bench drill at home neither, just hand drills. So how do you guys generally go about drilling accurate Nipkow discs? And do any of you get discs laser cut? Does NBTVA still sell precut discs?
Attachments
print.jpg
aussie_bloke
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Re: NipkowDXF print issue + how do we drill accurate discs?

Postby Dave Moll » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:04 pm

I'm not familiar with NipkowDXF, so can't offer any advice there, but as to drilling accurately, you really need some sort of drill stand to keep the drill accurately placed over the marked position.

N.B. eBay item shown merely as an example.
Dave Moll
Anyone have a spare straightjacket?

Postby Klaas Robers » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:24 pm

Drilling is not the way to make a Nipkow disc. Dennis Asseman made discs by punching. A drill "runs away", a punch doesn't.

The NBTVA has indeed laser-cut discs, the best are made of aluminium. Ask Chris Lewis what he has. Send him a PM.
Klaas Robers
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby aussie_bloke » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:31 pm

Thanks. I will get in touch with Chris.
aussie_bloke

Postby Steve Anderson » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:49 pm

Here's an idea...if you have a Dremmel, your average domestic power drill is going to have too much 'slop' in its bearings for what's needed here...can be also used for many other things, e.g. drilling holes in home made PCBs...I've got something similar, been able to drill 0.3mm holes quite accurately to within 0.05mm...though I would suggest strengthening/supporting the vertical column with some triangular braces...if you, or someone you know, can weld even better...It'll last a lifetime...just don't forget plenty of grease, for lubrication and corrosion resistance...his cam-lock could be replaced by a simple screw thread locking screw, it doesn't need to be that accurate - just not move...

Steve A.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjtDYWJrOGY
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby aussie_bloke » Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:43 pm

Thanks for the idea and the video link. I do indeed have a dremel, will see what I can do to make a drill press.
aussie_bloke

Return to Mechanical NBTV