2024 Convention?

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

2024 Convention?

Postby Steve Anderson » Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:34 pm

An enquirery regarding if there is to be a 2024 NBTVA convention? Simply, any plans in place for this event? I have to plan ahead to be in the UK at the appropriate time. I have not been to one before, it's time I did. I have other reasons to visit the UK, but they are generally flexible. I just need to pin this down before I start booking flights etc...

Steve A.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Re: 2024 Convention?

Postby acl » Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:19 pm

Hi Steve,

We haven't planed a date yet but around Easter time which is early this year. I will keep you informed.

Regards Chris Lewis
acl
Anyone have a spare straightjacket?

Postby Steve Anderson » Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:05 pm

Thanks Chris, but late March or early April is too early for me. It's too damn cold! Maybe next year...below 25C and I'm shivering...never mind, it's my problem...

The last time I was in the UK, 2017, I couldn't get away fast enough. A planned two-week visit turned into 4 days...in August/September!!

For family reasons I should go the the UK soon, my mother turns 88 today, 10th Jan., but I don't want to visit because of the weather only. Selfish? Probably...not forgetting the expense, flight, hotel (I am NOT going to stay with my brother)....etc...

There are many, many things I miss about the UK, but like all decisions in life you have to weigh up the pros and cons and suffer/endure/enjoy(?) the consequences.

Steve A.

I did some work in Denmark decades ago, chatting to a fellow Danish engineer over a beer (as one does there, Vikings and all that), he said in a dead-pan voice, "Oh summer? This year I think it's on a Thursday!"
Steve Anderson

2024 Convention

Postby acl » Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:14 pm

NBTVA 2024 UK CONVENTION & AGM
Saturday April 27th from 10.30 am
Trinity Methodist Church, King St, Duffield, Derbyshire DE56 4EU
Used for a second year, this location offers a good blackout, essential to many demos and trials.
This facility is requested by several members. Car parking is ample, and the spacious ground-floor hall has
level access. Do bring a guest if you can. Bringing packed lunch makes best use of available time – but we
can direct anyone to nearby pubs and shops serving lunch. Food, including sandwiches is available from, for
example, the nearby Co-Op.
You're very welcome to bring any equipment, items or literature to show, whether previously seen or
not. Club Sales items will be available to buy.
A SUGGESTION
If you can't attend, but have something to show, your photos and notes (or videos) sent in advance
to Jeremy at <jmjago@cooptel.net> would add to the range of things to see and discuss. They would be
greatly appreciated by attenders - and in due course by Newsletter readers. This has worked successfully at
recent Conventions.

2024.jpg
convention
2024.jpg (29.23 KiB) Viewed 1255 times

HOW TO GET THERE Destination Post Code: DE56 4EU

Duffield is 5 miles north of Derby and 3 miles south of Belper on the A6. (On the local area map here, the A6 is YELLOW.)

Trent Barton Buses to Duffield: The Sixes (6.1, 6.2, 6.3 and 6.4; all are yellow/orange) leave Derby Bus Station, bay 22, every 15 minutes, from 5 minutes past the hour and take 16 minutes to reach Duffield.

The stop you want is 'Tamworth Street' - dotted MAGENTA on map.

The buses have stop indicators. Walk north a few yards to King Street; you will the see the venue, The Methodist Church, on the right. Our room entrance is to the left of the church.

(The Duffield Co-Op stop is dotted GREEN.)

For the return journey - dotted BLUE on the map - late afternoon buses are a little less frequent but leave from near the Baptist Church (across the A6) at 4.09, 4.39, 5.09, 5.29, 5.39, 5.54 and 6.09.

Rail to Duffield: Trains leave Derby railway station for Matlock at 52 minutes past the hour, arriving in Duffield 7 minutes later. From there it's a short walk along Station Approach to the A6. Then turn left and over the private railway line towards the centre of Duffield. Immediately after the bridge, King Street is the first turning on the right. Trains return to Derby at 3 minutes past the hour.

For those arriving by train but who then wish to take the bus, it's possible to buy an 'add-on' ticket for the bus when booking the train journey.
acl
Anyone have a spare straightjacket?

Postby Steve Anderson » Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:41 pm

Hmm, sadly I'll miss the convention again, I plan to be in south London/Surrey area of the UK from mid-May this year (2024) for a while. Oh well...

Steve A.

I've missed the convention before by just days, one time literally by one day! Maybe 2011? I rarely visit the UK now, the last time was 2017 for example.
Steve Anderson

Return to Mechanical NBTV