Miniture Televisor Kit Gets Period Case

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Miniture Televisor Kit Gets Period Case

Postby Phil Hunter » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:52 am

Here is my Middlesex University Televisor in it's 1920/30's case - I wanted something aproximate to a Baird model A and found this gramaphone cabinet at a local antique shop.
Playback is Via CD's produced via Gary Millards excellent program and daylight viewing is acceptable thanks to the magnifying glass being set back into the case - future developments will be to place the speakers and volume control on the front panel along with the motor and brightness controls and a focus mechanism for the magnifying glass.

My ultimate aim is to be able to watch live TV in 32 line - does anyone have any information on a 625 to 32 line converter ? please let me know
Regards
Phil
Attachments
100_3293.JPG
100_3293.JPG (851.91 KiB) Viewed 8728 times
100_3294.JPG
100_3294.JPG (545.5 KiB) Viewed 8726 times
100_3295.JPG
100_3295.JPG (690.55 KiB) Viewed 8726 times
Phil Hunter
Mad Scientist

Postby DrZarkov » Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:00 pm

Beautyful! Respect! But how easy is it to reach the electronics in case of trouble?
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

Re: Miniture Televisor Kit Gets Period Case

Postby Dave Moll » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:25 pm

Phil Hunter wrote:does anyone have any information on a 625 to 32 line converter ? please let me know

I don't have any information myself, but I saw them being demonstrated at the NBTVA convention last year - so I know they exist.
Dave Moll
Anyone have a spare straightjacket?

Postby Stephen » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:47 pm

Your televisor is beautiful, Phil. I look forward to assembling the Middlesex University televisor kit that I received recenty. MUTR should offer a "deluxe" model along the lines of your unit.

Information on the Aurora Multi-Standard Converter is at http://converter.home.comcast.net/ . It is not the "Low Cost" converter at the top of the page. You must scroll down a bit to see it. A bit further down there is a picture from a television video converted to the 30 line Baird system as shown on a Baird televisor.

This unit is apparently out of stock. My recollection is that this unit is somewhat pricey. However, when one considers how many of the old systems it can convert, including the Baird, TeKaDe/Fernseh, NBTV and many of the other early systems, it is likely worth it.
Stephen
Stephen

Baird Phonovision.

Postby Stephen » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:47 am

It is interesting that you selected an old gramophone cabinet for your televisor. John Logie Baird developed a video recording scheme called "Phonovison" that allowed recording on 78 rpm discs. In his British Patent 289,104, filed 15 October 1926, he describes and shows means for recording and reproducing sight and sound simulaneously. Although Figures 2 and 3 show a dual spiral double groove arrangement, wherein the sight channel has a vertically modulated groove and the sound channel has a laterally modulated groove, Mr. Baird also mentions on page 2, column 1, lines 35 through 41 that his invention also includes a single dual-channel groove for sight and sound. In this arrangement, Mr. Baird suggests modulating a single dual-channel groove vertically for sight and laterally for sound.

Alan Blumlein used an identical single dual-channel groove arrangement in the 1930s for recording and reproducing stereophonic sound. I wonder if he was familiar with Mr. Baird's patent.

I have attached a copy of this patent for reference. I have also attached a copy of Mr. Baird's British Patent 324,049, filed 10 October 1928, wherein he describes a complete Phonovision gramophone, wherein the scanning disc comprises the rim of the turntable. This is a very elegant integration.
Attachments
GB289104A.pdf
Phonovision system.
(375.82 KiB) Downloaded 775 times
GB324049A.pdf
Phonovision gramophone.
(197.85 KiB) Downloaded 815 times
Stephen
Stephen

Postby Phil Hunter » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:51 am

DrZarkov wrote:Beautyful! Respect! But how easy is it to reach the electronics in case of trouble?

The front panel simply lifts out to reveal the televisor kit tucked away in the top left hand corner, I have since modified the front cover to cary the speakers, volume control and a simple (apallingly crude) slide control to increase or decrease the magnification of the picture.
Phil Hunter
Mad Scientist

Return to Mechanical NBTV