Jeffree cell

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Steve Anderson, Dave Moll, Andrew Davie

Jeffree cell

Postby johnrpm » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:22 am

I have been facinated by the jeffree cell ever since first reading about them, now that LED's and lasers can be modulated at high speed the jeffree cell is somewhat redundant, but I hope to build one, I have been trawling through my collection of NBTV stuff to gleen information,
amplitude modulation at 10mhz, using distilled water, I intend using a piezo.
Has anyone built one or have any advise on building one???, any help would be appreciated.
Random Precision
User avatar
johnrpm
Mad Scientist
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:18 pm
Location: Melton Mowbray (UK)

Re: Jeffree cell

Postby Harry Dalek » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:32 am

johnrpm wrote:I have been facinated by the jeffree cell ever since first reading about them, now that LED's and lasers can be modulated at high speed the jeffree cell is somewhat redundant, but I hope to build one, I have been trawling through my collection of NBTV stuff to gleen information,
amplitude modulation at 10mhz, using distilled water, I intend using a piezo.
Has anyone built one or have any advise on building one???, any help would be appreciated.



Hi i looked into this a while ago but i was still thinking of using a crystal but you would want this for nbtv so expect using a piezo might be good for low frequencies smaller band width.

This is the best link to a jeffree cell
http://www.bluehaze.com.au/modlight/UltrasoundMod.htm

The post i did some time back on the first laser television was interesting used something like that for the horizontal sweep.

i expect you would be using a laser for the experiments ..good luck..
User avatar
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"
 
Posts: 4090
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:58 pm
Location: Australia

Postby johnrpm » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:39 pm

thanks harry, that link is wonderfull, the most information I have seen on the jeffree cell.
Random Precision
User avatar
johnrpm
Mad Scientist
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:18 pm
Location: Melton Mowbray (UK)

Postby johnrpm » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:32 pm

This is of topic, I just received the newsletter and on the back page is a picture of spiral pins arrayed like a mirror screw by Karen, it says more details in next issue, sheesh have we got to wait that long????, i suppose patience is a virtue. :?
Random Precision
User avatar
johnrpm
Mad Scientist
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:18 pm
Location: Melton Mowbray (UK)

Postby johnrpm » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:55 pm

My original intention was to use a piezp plate for the jeffree cell, but the problem in getting actuators of the right size and mode of vibration has resulted in the decision to use quartz, again getting quartz in big enough pieces is expensive, cutting my own is the only option at present, I have bought a crystal point and am now building a cutting machine, diamond discs are available but a brass or copper disc with abrasive runs cooler but slower, but should avoid causing fractures.
I have lenses from the club shop, and glass plates from poundland, I have a feeling this is not going to be a quick project.

some info on cutting quartz oscillators here
http://www.vacuumtubeera.net/RadioBroad ... 928-12.pdf
Random Precision
User avatar
johnrpm
Mad Scientist
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:18 pm
Location: Melton Mowbray (UK)

Postby Harry Dalek » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:01 pm

johnrpm wrote:My original intention was to use a piezp plate for the jeffree cell, but the problem in getting actuators of the right size and mode of vibration has resulted in the decision to use quartz, again getting quartz in big enough pieces is expensive, cutting my own is the only option at present, I have bought a crystal point and am now building a cutting machine, diamond discs are available but a brass or copper disc with abrasive runs cooler but slower, but should avoid causing fractures.
I have lenses from the club shop, and glass plates from poundland, I have a feeling this is not going to be a quick project.

some info on cutting quartz oscillators here
http://www.vacuumtubeera.net/RadioBroad ... 928-12.pdf


Oh that looks like a lot of work ! perhaps a easier way would be to get a 40 or 50 khz Crystal and getting out of the case...that should do for nbtv bandwidth...i think if its around that frequency should still work what ever you can find so long as it fits the nbtv bandwidth.
Should go a bit quicker using a ready made one out of its can .
User avatar
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"
 
Posts: 4090
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:58 pm
Location: Australia

Postby gary » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:12 pm

harry dalek wrote:
Oh that looks like a lot of work ! perhaps a easier way would be to get a 40 or 50 khz Crystal and getting out of the case...that should do for nbtv bandwidth...i think if its around that frequency should still work what ever you can find so long as it fits the nbtv bandwidth.
Should go a bit quicker using a ready made one out of its can .


Harry, I think the main problem is that modern crystals are too small (dimensionally) for this application.
Perfecting an NBTV system is like trying to slam a revolving door...
User avatar
gary
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"
 
Posts: 2303
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:29 am
Location: Bundanoon, Australia

Postby Harry Dalek » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:49 pm

gary wrote:
harry dalek wrote:
Harry, I think the main problem is that modern crystals are too small (dimensionally) for this application.


Oh okay Gary i will have to do some more reading ... the supersonic vibrations on the liquid ...could you use a few crystals if its amplification thing..perhaps a ultrasonic transducer might be a better idea than a crystal ?
but getting away from the original idea...
User avatar
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"
 
Posts: 4090
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:58 pm
Location: Australia

Postby gary » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:57 pm

Well, it's really about moving a large mass of liquid for a large beam of light, possibly you could use multiple crystals, I suppose it's an area for experimentation, but, of course, that complicates things considerably, and you move away from Jeffree's very clear and proven instructions.
Perfecting an NBTV system is like trying to slam a revolving door...
User avatar
gary
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"
 
Posts: 2303
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:29 am
Location: Bundanoon, Australia

Postby johnrpm » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:21 pm

Jeffree states a crystal about 1"x1"x .010, the cell has a dimension of 10mm x ?, in the PDF, The ? dimension I am unsure of, it may be dependent on the size of crystal perhaps, If i can get this to work, the plan is to build a scophony system, I could use a laser as it would be easier, but the jeffree cell is so much more interesting.
At the back of my mind is the thought that if I can get the whole thing to work it may be possible to have an image using UV light, which could cure a photosensitive resin layer by layer to build 3d parts, which would make a 1930's system apply to modern use.
Random Precision
User avatar
johnrpm
Mad Scientist
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:18 pm
Location: Melton Mowbray (UK)

Postby johnrpm » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:57 pm

for interest, I cut open a 10mhz full size can to see what was inside, I hoped to see a bigger crystal, its about 7mm diameter with a resistor and IC.
Attachments
crystal.jpg
(120.17 KiB) Downloaded 362 times
Random Precision
User avatar
johnrpm
Mad Scientist
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:18 pm
Location: Melton Mowbray (UK)

Postby johnrpm » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:45 pm

I have been attempting to cut a crystal with the cutting machine, the machine is not yet fully finished but I thought I would have a play, it has a brass disc 7 1/2 diameter and runs at about 200 rpm (variable) my problem at present is the lapping media, I have very fine and very course but need to get some 150 grit, the fine just sits rubbing and the course grit does not seem to bed into the brass very well, it does cut but takes ages, I bought 2 diamond discs, 100mm dia and .8 thick, they start of very well but seem to loose the diamond coating after a while, maybe because I am running then too slow,
Random Precision
User avatar
johnrpm
Mad Scientist
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:18 pm
Location: Melton Mowbray (UK)

Postby Harry Dalek » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:11 pm

Hi john i just found these files which may be of use i forgot i had them !
Attachments
Scoph1 (Large).JPG
Scoph1 (Large).JPG (91.27 KiB) Viewed 11665 times
Scoph2 (Large).JPG
Scoph2 (Large).JPG (96.48 KiB) Viewed 11665 times
User avatar
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"
 
Posts: 4090
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:58 pm
Location: Australia

Postby johnrpm » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:37 pm

Thanks yet again Harry,
Images like these really help, yesterday I left the diamond wheel cutting all day whilst I creosoted the shed, it cut about 1mm, I do have a diamond tile cutter but it runs at high speed, and I am concerned it may introduce tiny fractures in the crystal due to local heating, so lets hope the 150 grit (when I get some) with the brass disc will do a better job?.
Random Precision
User avatar
johnrpm
Mad Scientist
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:18 pm
Location: Melton Mowbray (UK)

Postby johnrpm » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:14 pm

I tried with course lapping paste, works well and cuts at a reasonable rate.
Random Precision
User avatar
johnrpm
Mad Scientist
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:18 pm
Location: Melton Mowbray (UK)

Next

Return to Mechanical NBTV

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron