NBTV Camera Question

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Postby Metallica Man X » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:06 am

Blurrynes aside, that looks totally rad!
I mostly lurk..don't be surprised when I actually post!
Metallica Man X
Master Craftsman

Postby Harry Dalek » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:33 pm

Metallica Man X wrote:Blurrynes aside, that looks totally rad!

I am glad you like it so far : )

The good thing about trying a design like this is i have endless disc's to work on ...snap on and off easy .

I still have some planning to do before moving on really like the idea of a monitor onit as well that Gary and Klaas talked about theres 4 ways to do it ..a shalf....no goer for my design perhaps via pully via another disc or the double spiral one for the camera one for the monitor or one last way that easiest of all and might bother some !!!!! not worry about another nipkow spiral on the disc and just use it on the other part of the disc as a monitor it will not line up the picture correctly might be half a picture either of the middle or even upside down ...which a lens i think will correct but you have a easy visional way of telling the monitor is in sync with out having to worry about syncing the camera to the monitor and i think i will use this easy idea as its just a nice easy way of doing it .
Of cause it will be correct once you record it but a way of getting it right i see this as a pretty good way of doing it .

So i think this thing is going to end up looking like a steam punk camera for sure

:wink:
Attachments
Picture 2300.jpg
I will have the monitor part about there which the lens is
Picture 2300.jpg (322.65 KiB) Viewed 12768 times
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby gary » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:47 pm

Harry, if you are going to use a camera/monitor disk just extend your apertures round by 16 and you will have a non-split picture (mask out the first 16 on the monitor side if you are pernickety...

I'm looking forward to see how you go making the disk - I have made quite a few out of CDs and found it a "non-trivial" exercise to get it accurate, so good luck. Have you calculated the aperture size yet? I used a very fine drill bit but I presume you will use a hot needle? How do you intend to layout the disk? My last disk was laid out by printing directly on to it using a lightscribe type CD burner that I picked up (relatively) cheaply from Hardly Normal - it looks great but I never got around to drilling it out as I ran out of drill bits (.25mm drill bits are very easy to snap). Since then I make bead disks exclusively as it is much easier to create apertures for them.

Ripley Pedro made a camera from a CD (I think) - there is some info in the newsletter and I am pretty sure there is a track on one of the club cds with the output from that camera.
gary

Postby Harry Dalek » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:58 pm

[quote="gary"]Harry, if you are going to use a camera/monitor disk just extend your apertures round by 16 and you will have a non-split picture (mask out the first 16 on the monitor side if you are pernickety...

Hi Gary

I will make one but for a start just do a normal one have not made a Nipkow for a while so i will start off easy but thanks for that info i didn't know that would work.

A lot of your advice in this one just with a little Harry twist about it .

The dvd nikpow more than likely be 32 and yes i am thinking of the hot pin but i can get the tiny drill bits if need be depends if if works used to work on records but never tried a CD DVD.

Yes i expect it to be hard least i have a few hundred dvds to get right when you have kids you have dvds that will never play again !

I will try the finest pin or bit i can find and yes those little drill bits are buggers for braking .

Oh i don't have the club cds apart from the news letter one so seeing that video is a no goer i only hve your 2 videos to inspire me :wink:

Heres where i am at today had a bit of time to work out a place for a monitor used that camera shutter just fitted nice for covering my luxeon light box ....

I would be happy if the thing shows viewable but will give it a shot .
Attachments
Picture 2303.jpg
Picture 2303.jpg (309.01 KiB) Viewed 12760 times
Picture 2306.jpg
Picture 2306.jpg (289.69 KiB) Viewed 12760 times
Picture 2307.jpg
Picture 2307.jpg (293.03 KiB) Viewed 12760 times
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Postby gary » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:08 pm

Yes to great number of discarded CDs/DVDs was an attraction to me also, however, the difficulty in accurately positioning the apertures ended up being a turn-off for me. In addition, for a camera, the thickness of the disks is far from ideal, but it you just want to lash something up that gives some sort of picture it will obviously work as it has been done before.

Harry, I can't recommend the club disks enough - if nothing else they provide a lot of entertainment value - for us antipodeans they may be the only way we will get to see and hear many of the well known members of the club.

If you find another source for sub .5mm drill bits I would be interested in hearing about it. I could only find them at Hobbyco and they were way expensive (as hobbyco products always are). They can be purchased online I suppose - that wasn't an option when I bought mine.

I wouldn't think that it would be much more work or much easier to just keep extending the apertures to create a 1 and 1/2 turn spiral - and the advantage is significant. The pictures from these disks are tiny (7mm across) but appear crisp and sharp.

Anyway - best of luck.
gary

Postby Viewmaster » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:44 pm

Gary and Harry, why not try experimenting with a pad underneath the CD?
If you make a holder for a needle and pierce with a small rocking motion the needle will go through OK.
BUT the pad thickness will control how far through the needle will go, therefore controlling the holes diameter.

Pierce undersized hole and finish off with your drill maybe or .25mm
stainless steel wire.
See my sketch of how I used this method on the Nipkow Nipper thread. It certainly works OK for me on .004 inch dia holes through film.
“One small step for a man,"......because he has Arthritis.
Albert.
Viewmaster
Frankenstein was my uncle.

Postby Harry Dalek » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:11 pm

Gary yes i want it of cause to work but i know it could be nowhere as good as what i have seen you do ,there will be a bit of learning and i am sure a few changes by the time its done but thats the fun of it junk into something again .

Yes i should buy the club disks need to do a few more ebay sales ! theres another news letter one i think to i wouldn't mind getting .

I have seen tiny drill bits at jaycar and of cause bunnings that might be another ebay thing to get in bulk from china .

I am looking into the Nipkow hole side of things now more than likly midweek i might give the first one a go ...even with glasses its going to be a challenge for my eyes :shock:
Harry Dalek

Postby Harry Dalek » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:23 pm

Viewmaster wrote:Gary and Harry, why not try experimenting with a pad underneath the CD?
If you make a holder for a needle and pierce with a small rocking motion the needle will go through OK.
BUT the pad thickness will control how far through the needle will go, therefore controlling the holes diameter.

Pierce undersized hole and finish off with your drill maybe or .25mm
stainless steel wire.
See my sketch of how I used this method on the Nipkow Nipper thread. It certainly works OK for me on .004 inch dia holes through film.

Hi Albert

I with have a look at your tools again before i try it ,as i recall i used small Pliers with wire wrapped around to hold it before i heated the needle ,but i will for sure check out your way Albert !

I will have a look at your Nipper noticed you posted again.
Harry Dalek

Postby gary » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:49 pm

harry dalek wrote:
I have seen tiny drill bits at jaycar and of cause bunnings that might be another ebay thing to get in bulk from china .

hmmm - they have some small drill bits but nothing like .25mm as far as I am aware, but I am happy to be wrong...

sure you should be able to get them online...
gary

Postby gary » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:10 pm

Check your PM Harry...
gary

Postby Viewmaster » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:19 pm

Harry, here's the piccy of my method....you will not need the top shim steel gauge/plate glass nor spotlight with your CD. Just the needle, pad and hard bottom surface.
Attachments
Cutting holes in film.JPG
Cutting holes in film.JPG (20.53 KiB) Viewed 12733 times
Albert.
Viewmaster

Postby Harry Dalek » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:05 pm

Viewmaster wrote:Harry, here's the piccy of my method....you will not need the top shim steel gauge/plate glass nor spotlight with your CD. Just the needle, pad and hard bottom surface.

Hi Albert

What did you use as the pad as that sounds like a different way to keep the hole size the same....i will try and see it i can get right i think i will use a template for the dvd and a very big magnifying glass !
Last edited by Harry Dalek on Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harry Dalek

Postby Lowtone » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:10 am

wowowowow! where can i buy your camera ? :P :P :P

It looks amazing !
r a d i o P T T v i s i o n
Lowtone
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby Harry Dalek » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:05 pm

Lowtone wrote:Image

wowowowow! where can i buy your camera ? :P :P :P

It looks amazing !

Its good so far but just a mock up really till make that nipkow and ad the electronics ,thinking i may as well use what i have and try and make it small only since big is hard to store ....

For some reason not much on cameras on the forum we should follow Garys example and make them.

Not for sale you have to make one if it works you can copy :wink:
Harry Dalek

Postby Viewmaster » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:15 pm

harry dalek wrote:
Viewmaster wrote:Harry, here's the piccy of my method....you will not need the top shim steel gauge/plate glass nor spotlight with your CD. Just the needle, pad and hard bottom surface.

Hi Albert

What did you use as the pad as that sounds like a different way to keep the hole size the same....i will try and see it i can get right i think i will use a template for the dvd and a very big magnifying glass !

I used thin plastic sheet, the thickness being determined by trial and error.
As shown on my picture, the thickness of the pad controls the dia of the hole....thick pad= large hole. thin pad= small hole.

Try and find a sharply tapered needle if possible....bear in mind that your hole will be tapered and the small end is the governing size right next to the pad.
Take it easy and go for slightly undersize to start. If you go too big it's difficult to reduce.
Albert.
Viewmaster

PreviousNext

Return to Mechanical NBTV