Raspberry Pi

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Raspberry Pi

Postby gary » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:10 pm

Has anyone been able to get hold of the $35 Raspberry Pi yet? - seems to have a lot of potential NBTV use - cheap enough to build into a Televisor.

All out of stock here in Oz at the moment.
Last edited by gary on Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
gary

Postby Steve Anderson » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:37 pm

I have looked at the Fart Pi (as in raspberry) for quite a while. It's got a lot going for it, not the least what you get for the price. However I haven't ordered one as it's a solution looking for a problem for me. But one day an application for it will become obvious.

Even Farnell in the UK are quoting three weeks delivery...which I suppose isn't quite that bad if not their usual same day/next day delivery.

The other drawback (for me) is learning yet another language as it's an ARM11-based device. But given ready-to-run software it's definately something to play with.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby gary » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:45 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:The other drawback (for me) is learning yet another language as it's an ARM11-based device. But given ready-to-run software it's definately something to play with.

Steve A.

I presume you mean learning a new instruction set? I rarely bother with that these days except for micro processors. c and even c++ do the job in most cases for something like the raspberry pi.
gary

Postby Steve Anderson » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:17 pm

Gary, your presumption is correct. However, even learning C, C+, C++, whatever, would also be a new language for me. But I have to admit it does look quite simple though, and as time goes on I am becoming more and more tempted.

I gave up programming decades ago never intending to return to it. The only reason I have that these simple (let's say PICs) are so darn flexible you cannot afford to ignore them. An example is the 625 SPG thread, without the flexibility programming affords you'd end up with a multi-chip hardware result. Bang out a few lines of code and you've got a 405 variant with no need to even switch on the soldering iron.

In defense of the hot-stick I do enjoy wielding it. Something therapeutic about it, much like I actually enjoy plumbing in copper with a blow-torch...OK, I'm weird...

Steve A.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby gary » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:32 pm

Yes, understood.

I have no particular preference myself I love both hardware and software, I lean towards software more these days because they have made it so hard to do hardware in this country over the last 2 decades, but they can't put a lid on software. That, and the almost instantaneous gratification of software - and no magic smoke...
gary

Postby DrZarkov » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:36 pm

A shop in my neighbourhood is selling them, he has some Raspberry Pis on stock: http://www.vesalia.de/e_raspberrypi.htm

Vesalia is a shop with an excellent reputation, very well known by Amiga-users. I've got my Raspberry Pi two weeks ago, currently I'm running RISC OS on it.
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

Postby gary » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:47 pm

hmmm that's interesting because my understanding is that they are not supposed to be supplying resellers. This one may be acting as an agent for Element14 I suppose, but if so - why the mark up?
gary

Postby DrZarkov » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:07 pm

Good question. I thought I knew that CJE Micros in the UK is selling them, too. But I've learned they sell anything for the RPi, but not "the gadget" itself:

http://www.cjemicros.co.uk/micros/price ... rypi.shtml

Vesalia has good connections to hardware manufacturers, so I don't know where they come from. I will ask when I see Mr. Does (from Vesalia) the next time.
DrZarkov

Postby dominicbeesley » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:38 pm

Hi DrZ,

How do you get Risc OS on it - is it fairly simple? I keep meaning to order one for my workshop computer...

D
dominicbeesley
Anyone have a spare straightjacket?

Postby DrZarkov » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:11 am

Yes, it is very simple. Just copy the disk-image on your SD-card, ready. The image and more information you'll find here: http://www.riscosopen.org/forum/forums/1/topics/1154

It stil has some flaws (as it is an alpha-version), but it works already pretty good. I was surfing the internet out of the box with !Netsurf and could test some applications. Of course the beagleboard mX is more stable and faster, but also more expensive. The Raspberry Pi is a good start for somebody who has worked with Acorn PCs before. And even the small RPi is of course faster than the fastest Risc PC or Iyonix. Even Aemulor (the 26 bit emulation of old Acorn machines) is in development.
DrZarkov

Postby dominicbeesley » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:14 am

Just got mine today, not tried Riscos yet cos I've only got the one SD Card but will tomorrow no doubt.

Now, will it be an NBSC portable camera or electronic ignition for my Land Rover....

PS: Posting for the PI now!
dominicbeesley

Postby gary » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:29 am

dominicbeesley wrote:
PS: Posting for the PI now!

I assume you mean they are charging for shipping now (at least Element 14/Farnell is) - but only on orders under $45 - so the decision for me is whether to buy 2 or buy some of the incidentals from Element 14 - HDMI cable, power supply, etc. The incidentals seem very expensive from Element 14 so I think I'll be buying 2 Pi(e)s - I'd be interested in hearing from others what they have had to buy as "extras" to get the PI going, and where they are sourcing them from.
gary

Postby dominicbeesley » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:45 am

Sorry Gary, that was supposed to indicate that that post was sent from the PI, which it was. Unfortunately using a junk-pile keyboard that had drunk more coffee than it should. I've bought a new keyboard now!
dominicbeesley

Postby Viewmaster » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:48 pm

Want to build a super computer with 64 Raspberry PCs ?

Southampton Uni has done so.....
http://www.southampton.ac.uk/~sjc/raspberrypi/

Description here....
http://www.southampton.ac.uk/mediacentr ... uter.shtml

Very fruity.
“One small step for a man,"......because he has Arthritis.
Albert.
Viewmaster
Frankenstein was my uncle.

Postby Viewmaster » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:41 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:Gary, your presumption is correct. However, even learning C, C+, C++, whatever, would also be a new language for me. But I have to admit it does look quite simple though, and as time goes on I am becoming more and more tempted.

Steve A.

You can run BBC basic on the raspberry, called Brandy basic.
http://jaguar.orpheusweb.co.uk/branpage.html

The Raspberry foundation is working more on this I believe

In June of this year a raspberry forum writer wrote.......

"I now have Brandy running on the Pi, so my life is complete. Haven't the foggiest idea what I'm going to do with it, though. WIsh I'd kept all those old 5.25in floppies "

The old BBC micro had an A and B version, so has the Raspberry.
“One small step for a man,"......because he has Arthritis.
Albert.
Viewmaster
Frankenstein was my uncle.

Next

Return to Mechanical NBTV