Re: NBTV Newsletter.

Postby Steve Anderson » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:17 pm

Thanks Gary, got it.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby Klaas Robers » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:33 pm

Yes Steve, Karen has an nbtv.org address. You may find it on the website. This is not a separate address, emails are automatically forwarded to the normal email address. This is for all nbtv.org addresses, but as soon as someone changed from provider, it is no more working. As far as I can see this is not for Karen.
Klaas Robers
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby Steve Anderson » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:06 pm

I didn't know that was possible, a sort of 'auto-forwarding'. You learn something every day!

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby Klaas Robers » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:16 am

Well Steve, in fact this is how aliasses work. You may have more than one e-mail address (I have about 12 of them). There is no e-mail box at that address, but e-mails to that address are always forwarded to an e-mail address that you have defined. You can always change that forward-to address.

This is extremely convenient. I have just one mailbox, situated at my provider. That address is not known, as I don't distribute it. The address that I give to others is an automatic-forward address. The trick is that when I change from provider, I dont have to change my e-mail address. Otherwise you have to send an address change notice to everybody.

I have learnt this from Joker.com. Suppose that "anderson.com" was a free URL. Then you might register the URL "anderson.com" there. That would cost you say $ 10,- per year. There is no web space in that amount, but you can define twenty e-mail forward addresses for it. Then you would have an e-mail address: steve(at)anderson.com, although you keep your current provider for the reception and the sending of your mails. And an e-mail address for your wife, and one for each of your children and so on, as long as they are named "Anderson".

The same happens with the nbtv.org addresses. And with the website http://www.nbtv.org. The real website is situated at a provider "wyenet.com", but you are accessing it as nbtv.org. This is called URL forwarding, a kind of automatic link.
Klaas Robers
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby Dave Moll » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:55 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:I didn't know that was possible, a sort of 'auto-forwarding'. You learn something every day!

Steve A.

I have a similar setup with an organisation for which I'm the membership secretary. The web site shows an email address that's membership@... and it's forwarded to my normal email address. If the secretary changes, then the redirection is amended to the new incumbent's address - very useful for the public addresses of organisations' officers.
Dave Moll
Anyone have a spare straightjacket?

Postby Steve Anderson » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:10 pm

Klaas and Dave, thanks for the detail, now I know. Not had a use for it myself so was in the dark about it. Useful, that I can see.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby M3DVQ » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:47 am

Dave Moll wrote:I have a similar setup with an organisation for which I'm the membership secretary. The web site shows an email address that's membership@... and it's forwarded to my normal email address. If the secretary changes, then the redirection is amended to the new incumbent's address - very useful for the public addresses of organisations' officers.

Nice to see there's someone else out there who "gets" it :)

It's depressing how many small organisations just can't wrap their head around the concept however carefully you try to explain the concept. gmail et al must be littered with the stuffed mailboxes of accounts that never get checked, abandoned by the people who set them up and then left the committee they were on :x
Then of course there's the other old classic, the website that someone set up on their own and no-one on the current committee has the admin password for. Bonus points for the combination of the two where the website prominently displays suchandsuchcommittee2013@gmail.com as their contact address :evil:

calm thoughts... calm thoughts... :)
M3DVQ
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby gary » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:56 am

It may be a complete coincidence but since the above mentioned posts re the email relay I have received 2 emails purportedly from adm85(at)nbtv.org with the following content:

Warning: This message has had one or more attachments removed
Warning: (QGW9577595402.js, DOC-39F5E68AAD.zip).
Warning: Please read the "robers.nl mailrelay-Attachment-Warning.txt" attachment(s) for more information.

This post is intended to be a warning in case other peoples email system don't provide the appropriate filtering but also to see if anyone knows anything about this.
gary

Postby Steve Anderson » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:14 pm

I just checked my e-mail 20 seconds ago and haven't received such a message. We'll see if Klaas can shed any light on it.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby Klaas Robers » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:00 am

The forwarding of e-mails sent to an nbtv.org address runs via one of my sons systems. I assume that he installed a virus scanner that removes dangerous attachments. I don't know the message that you get then, but it might be the message that gary mentioned. Be happy that this happens and your e-mails are saved from dangerous attachments.
Klaas Robers
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby Lowtone » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:51 pm

I don't know where to put this, but i was listeting the ham-radio some minutes ago, and they stated that there will be soon a public demonstration of mechanical television near Annecy in France
http://f8ref.r-e-f.org/bulletins/bulref.pdf page 6
r a d i o P T T v i s i o n
Lowtone
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby grahamhunt » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:17 pm

has anyone received the latest news letter yet
Graham
:)
grahamhunt
Master Craftsman

Postby gary » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:21 pm

Electronically, yes.
gary

Postby Steve Anderson » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:16 pm

Indeed, my pdf version arrived 11 days ago on the 7th.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby phallyka » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:54 am

I was wondering what happened to the latest edition.

เกย์
phallyka
"Fester, enough of the light-bulbs!"

PreviousNext

Return to Mechanical NBTV