NBTV Newsletter.

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Postby Viewmaster » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:41 am

gary wrote:If it is not in the post on Monday I will contact Jeremy and ask if he can chase it up.

Maybe the props of the aircraft that is delivering it to you only do 750RPM so it takes some time to get to you. :)
“One small step for a man,"......because he has Arthritis.
Albert.
Viewmaster
Frankenstein was my uncle.

Postby AncientBrit » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:33 am

Lost colonies?

Well you could always re-apply to join the UK.
And then be really miserable!!,

Actually I shouldn't be so flippant.
It's very gratifying that so many members look forward to the Newsletter, a tribute to Jeremy and his colleagues.

Kind regards,

Graham
AncientBrit
Green padded cells are quite homely.

Postby Panrock » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:48 am

As an alternative, why can't the Newsletter be made available to members as a .pdf in a password protected area of the NBTVA site? Then everyone could get it quickly, worldwide.

I'm obviously missing something!

Steve O
Panrock
Green padded cells are quite homely.

Postby M3DVQ » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:28 am

Panrock wrote:I'm obviously missing something!

About three years of arguments... er discussions at the AGM. :lol:
M3DVQ
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby DrZarkov » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:24 am

Mine arrived today. Maybe the postman had to read it first. :lol:
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

Postby Ralph » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:25 am

Still another alternative would be to compile a master email list of current overseas members and simply do a mass emailing four times a year with an attached PDF file. That would certainly meet my needs and there would be a very considerable savings in postage for the Club. It would also bypass the issue security vis-vis a download site. I am more than happy to opt out of delivery of a hard-copy and I am sure many others would feel the same way.

Ralph
Ralph
Evil Genius

Postby Steve Anderson » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:09 pm

The following is said in an exasperated tone...

...a .pdf? I've been banging about this for years. It's insane that this option is not available for those that would prefer it (me). We are in the second decade of the 21st century are we not?

I cannot fathom the objections raised at all. Or am I, like my namesake, missing something? The newsletter is obviously compiled in an electronic format, all that needs to be done is install something like PDF995 and hit the print button.

http://www.pdf995.com/

Steve A.

If you want a printed version, hit your own print button.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby gary » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:32 pm

LOL - If postal (or absentee) votes were allowed I am sure a motion to implement an electronic version of the newsletter would be passed.

Does anyone know what the main objections actually are?

This may sound like whinging but IMHO it does put OS members at a significant disadvantage.
gary

Postby Steve Anderson » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:05 pm

gary wrote:Does anyone know what the main objections actually are?

This may sound like whinging but IMHO it does put OS members at a significant disadvantage.

Agreed, and not whinging at all. But for me the printed version is a pain. Where did I put it? Heck, the dog's eaten it. I spilled coffee on it.

Whereas the .pdf version is always pristine, I know where it is and it's backed-up across a total of four drives.

I often work away from home for significant parts of the year, I can get my copy anywhere in the world if it were e-mail to me or a download from the NBTVA site.

I think one of the main objections is fear of 'piracy'. One person subscribes then forwards it on to others. What's the difference if I let you read/borrow my copy?

Even under the current arrangement there's nothing to stop people making copies...

Steve A.
Attachments
Apr 2012_01.jpg
Apr 2012_01.jpg (75.71 KiB) Viewed 32309 times
Steve Anderson

Postby gary » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:24 pm

Yes the ease of scanning makes the piracy issue moot really.

Besides it's only a temporary thing any way as they will all come out on a disk eventually.

For some reason I do actually like my hard copy but I could easily forgo that if it meant I got my copy the same time as everyone else. There have been times when I received my copy only a week or two before others got the next edition. In particular it makes it very hard to follow discussions on the contents when they occur.

I also miss the newsletter page on the official NBTVA website that gave the contents and the fact that it had been shipped.

Oh well.
gary

Postby Steve Anderson » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:53 pm

gary wrote:I also miss the newsletter page on the official NBTVA website that gave the contents and the fact that it had been shipped. Oh well.

I just visited the NBTVA web-site. It does actually have to contents listed of the current issue Vol. 38 No. 1.

But the 'Hot News' page is decidedly lukewarm. Featured is the convention date for 2012 and the newsletter Vol. 37 No. 1.

I know perhaps I shouldn't criticize, but, but...

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby Harry Dalek » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:57 pm

I would rather the pdf as well the past paper issues i have are in my shed. i would rather them on my HD so i can review them more easy also i can bring up the print size on a pdf my eyes are not the best these days ...

I mean they must do all the issues on pc any way ? so they must be some so of file form ...

I am in the PDF camp ...means on postage no paper being wasted and quick way to get an issue ...it should be in the members area of the web site ,i stopped looking there as i never found any thing new is the members area ?worth a vist these days ?
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Postby gary » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:57 pm

LOL - that makes me look a little silly - but I SWEAR I look at it every week! Honest...
gary

Postby gary » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:58 pm

This looks like a great issue BTW
gary

Postby Steve Anderson » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:56 pm

harry dalek wrote:I would rather them on my HD so i can review them more easy also i can bring up the print size on a pdf my eyes are not the best these days ...

A very valid point Harry. My eyes aren't like they used to be and the scans fill the entire 21" screen (4:3) of my monitor. Including those on the back-issue CD.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

PreviousNext

Return to Mechanical NBTV