Image to NBTV converter (multi-standard) for Unix

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Image to NBTV converter (multi-standard) for Unix

Postby JX8P » Sat May 30, 2015 6:51 am

Evening folks,

Having recently joined the NBTVA and built my first televisor (32-line nipkow - will show it soon) I realised I was wanting for things to display on it.

As I run FreeBSD, I wasn't able to use the existing video to NBTV converter. As such I begun yesterday and today finished a first release of an Image to NBTV converter. It is run as
Code: Select all
image2nbtv image.jpg output.wav
where image.jpg is an image to be converted and output.wav is to be the output. After doing this it would probably be a good idea to open the wave file produced in Audacity or another editor, and repeat it many times. The converter is written in C and uses the MagickWand graphics manipulation library provided by ImageMagick.

This program should be able to handle any of the basic black-and-white standards thrown at it - I've left the number of lines and frame rate configurable in the source. I've tested it on FreeBSD and Solaris but it should build just as easily on Linux or Apple OS X. You will need a C compiler (this was tested with LLVM Clang 3.6) and ImageMagick installed. The command to build it will likely be
Code: Select all
cc image2nbtv.c `pkg-config --cflags --libs MagickWand` -o image2nbtv

This is not yet where I'd like it to be: ideally I want to add support for multiple images to be provided on the command line, which might be generated from a video, if not outright video support. It will also be prudent to add the ability to generate the NBTV synchronisation signal. This is not provided yet; it might be possible to extract it from another NBTV audio file and use that in its place. I'd also like to investigate the possibility of generating colour NBTV output.

That aside, I hope this is useful.

Thanks,
David
Attachments
image2nbtv.c.zip
(1.78 KiB) Downloaded 541 times
Last edited by JX8P on Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
JX8P
"Fester, enough of the light-bulbs!"

Re: Image to NBTV converter (multi-standard) for Unix

Postby DrZarkov » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:21 am

Thank you very much David. I'm using Linux (as many others here, too), so it could indeed be very useful. But it would be even more useful, if you could tell us where you've uploaded the source. :)
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

Postby JX8P » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:46 am

DrZarkov wrote:Thank you very much David. I'm using Linux (as many others here, too), so it could indeed be very useful. But it would be even more useful, if you could tell us where you've uploaded the source. :)

Whoops, pardon me. I had attached it to the original topic but it was rejected for being a .c file - I've re-attached it zipped here. Hope it's helpful :)
Attachments
image2nbtv.c.zip
(1.78 KiB) Downloaded 672 times
JX8P
"Fester, enough of the light-bulbs!"

Postby Steve Anderson » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:26 pm

I just checked the allowed file extensions for attachments in postings and PMs, C files are allowed, e.g. sample.c.

I don't recall setting this file extension as allowed, but maybe I did or maybe it was one of the other guys. So all should be OK now.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Return to Mechanical NBTV