Building a color corkscrew TV

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Building a color corkscrew TV

Postby Bobperet » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:43 pm

i have just be begun a project to build a 120 line corkscrew TV. I will post my progress here. So far, the mirror is complete.
-Bob
image.jpg
First mirror
(605.07 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Attachments
image-resized.jpg
image-resized.jpg (35.68 KiB) Viewed 5264 times
Bobperet
"Fester, enough of the light-bulbs!"

Re: Building a color corkscrew TV

Postby Steve Anderson » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:14 pm

Hello Bob, and welcome to the forum - you'll have a lot in common with Steve Ostler (his user name is panrock) here on this forum as he attempted a 120-line colour 'Mirror Screw' monitor a year or two ago.

I'm sure will give you some tips as a result of his experience. The thread which details the build is entitled, "Starting at the beginning with Mirror Screws" in this NBTV section. This (I hope) is the link for it...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1379

I also reduced the size of the photo above such that it shows on most displays without having to be downloaded. I have left the original intact.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Re: Building a color corkscrew TV

Postby Panrock » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:03 am

Hi Bob,

Welcome to the forum. Your mirror screw looks very impressive so far.

I attach a picture of my own mirror screw. This is quite large, to give a 10-12 inch picture, and runs at 25 frames per second. The mirror-edged slats were position-indexed for dual-standard 60/120-lines working. Better results were obtained at 60-lines. At 120-lines the picture was too dim, needed to be viewed very far away and the slightest positional errors in the angles of the mirror slats would badly degrade the picture. I also tried using concave (magnifying) mirror slats at 120-lines.

Since then Karen Orton has come up with some ideas for improving operation at 120-lines and together we may have another go.

I'll be folllowing your progress with interest.

Steve O
Attachments
MirrorVision.jpg
(53.7 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Panrock
Green padded cells are quite homely.

Return to Mechanical NBTV