BBC to restage opening night of British Television

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Re: BBC to restage opening night of British Television

Postby Viewmaster » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:15 pm

gary wrote:I certainly hope someone associated with the production thought to record some of that flying spot camera output...

And who will keep the 60 hole disc?
Bet it's sold on eBay soon. :lol:
“One small step for a man,"......because he has Arthritis.
Albert.
Viewmaster
Frankenstein was my uncle.

Postby gary » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:27 pm

Viewmaster wrote:
gary wrote:I certainly hope someone associated with the production thought to record some of that flying spot camera output...

And who will keep the 60 hole disc?
Bet it's sold on eBay soon. :lol:

It won't matter to me Albert, the cost of sending physical objects to Australia has become inversely proportion to the cost of sending data.

(Edit: Bring on teleportation)
gary

Postby Viewmaster » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:39 pm

gary wrote:(Edit: Bring on teleportation)

As JLB was Scottish it would be, for you down under Gary, a case of,
"Beam me down Scottie." :)
Albert.
Viewmaster

Postby gary » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:53 pm

Viewmaster wrote:

You seem to have that back-arse-ward Albert:
Attachments
mcarthur-small.jpg
mcarthur-small.jpg (61.97 KiB) Viewed 13300 times
gary

Postby ppppenguin » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:08 am

Since the output of the photmultipliers was captured by a data acquisition system in a PC more or less everything was recorded.

On my recommendation somebody dashed out and got a cheap VGA to PAL converter. This worked very well for getting the FS pictures into modern TV.

Hugh Hunt has re-erected the whole FS studio at Cambridge and it's being used as a demonstration. There's a news report with Nick Higham showing the results. These are much worse than attained at the filming. HH blames this on having to give back the expensive PMTs used during the programme, apparently borrowed from a Large Hadron Collider project. I'm not so sure this is the reason but some of you NBTV guys here are better qualified to answer that one. The 60 line picture on both the PC and video monitors were very good IMO.

A couple of prototype scanning discs have been used by HH for demo purposes. When he gave a talk at Ally Pally on Wednesday the used a cordless drill to spin them and shone a torch through to give some impression of FS scanning.
Jeffrey Borinsky www.borinsky.co.uk
ppppenguin
Research Scientist

Postby DrZarkov » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:36 am

For everybody outside the UK, the film is currently at Youtube: https://youtu.be/tNZB-sfr1T4

I recommend to watch/download it now, I'm afraid it will not last for long there...
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

Postby Viewmaster » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:48 am

gary wrote:
Viewmaster wrote:

You seem to have that back-arse-ward Albert:

"The land down under," by Australian rock band, Men at work. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6oAFlPLGA8
Albert.
Viewmaster

Postby gary » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:11 am

Viewmaster wrote:
"The land down under," by Australian rock band, Men at work. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6oAFlPLGA8

Yeah... written and sung by a.... Scot!
(Who just happens to like Vegemite - but who doesn't?)
gary

Postby Harry Dalek » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:12 am

I have only had a chance to watch part of it so far but had me wondering why did they choose some one to make the flying spot scanner that had to start from scratch looked like he was up to the job still the Uk is full of Nbtvers...have to watch the rest see what happens,,,
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby gary » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:38 am

Harry Dalek wrote:I have only had a chance to watch part of it so far but had me wondering why did they choose some one to make the flying spot scanner that had to start from scratch looked like he was up to the job still the Uk is full of Nbtvers...have to watch the rest see what happens,,,

Apparently he did have some help from some NBTVers but yeah, he did seem to have to waste a lot of time coming up to speed on things.

It looked like he did a fairly good job in then end but I would like to get hold of some of the signal though to check it out.

It was a very short time frame that he had to be fair, but then again he had access to resources most of us NBTVers don't, so I think it's fair to say they cancel each other out somewhat.

It was a reasonable video, and I did get caught up in the "it'll be right on the night" excitement.

Alas, it did perpetrate a lot of the unwarranted negative connotations of Baird's system in comparison to the clunky, and short lived, CRT system. /s
gary

Postby Lowtone » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:04 am

We need to make a documetary then :P

But this was kinda nice even if not perfect

But ! cyanide to process 35mm !!! :shock:
r a d i o P T T v i s i o n
Lowtone
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby Harry Dalek » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:09 pm

gary wrote:
Apparently he did have some help from some NBTVers but yeah, he did seem to have to waste a lot of time coming up to speed on things.

I didn't want to comment much till i have watched it all but he seemed to know nothing sure smart enough to make it once he looked it up but it seemed to me what i have watched so far it could of went a lot quicker if they didn't take the idea that its a lost art ...

It looked like he did a fairly good job in then end but I would like to get hold of some of the signal though to check it out.

OK i look forward to seeing what happens i took DrZ's advice and downloaded it before its taken off perhaps /

It was a very short time frame that he had to be fair, but then again he had access to resources most of us NBTVers don't, so I think it's fair to say they cancel each other out somewhat.

Perhaps it should of been left to the Nbters from the start than a tv star scientist...money for the club perhaps !

It was a reasonable video, and I did get caught up in the "it'll be right on the night" excitement.

I have been enjoying what i seen and will watch the rest tonight there is very little on mechanical television and this is a joy to see i am happy some one put it on you tube .

Alas, it did perpetrate a lot of the unwarranted negative connotations of Baird's system in comparison to the clunky, and short lived, CRT system. /s

Which is very wrong those tiny vibrating mirrors on those projection devices so Mechanical television out lived the crt not to say one is better than the other apart from how much time your willing to advance its development and in this case mechanical television has won ! :)

Edit....i finished watching the program Glad it sort of focused more on the mechanical side ,i see they all enjoyed doing the program ...
Attachments
Mitsumi-MEMS-mirror-prototype.jpg
Mitsumi-MEMS-mirror-prototype.jpg (31.24 KiB) Viewed 13281 times
08 Inside Sony MP-CL1 mobile pico-projector STMicro TEM.jpg
08 Inside Sony MP-CL1 mobile pico-projector STMicro TEM.jpg (75.21 KiB) Viewed 13281 times
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby Lawnboy » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:21 am

Just caught up with the program thanks to Youtube. Absolutely fascinating. I wonder if there would be any interest in a documentary about the BBC's 30 line system?
There's a few still pictures and a short clip of the flying spot setup at the bottom of this page that Harry had posted in the Resources section. I found it interesting that the light source was placed at the bottom of the disc instead of the top like the original. It may not matter on a CRT (or computer display), but on a Nipkow monitor it would create some noticeable distortion.
http://mi.eng.cam.ac.uk/IALego/TV.html
Lawnboy
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Previous

Return to Mechanical NBTV