$15 Oscilloscope!

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Re: $15 Oscilloscope!

Postby Steve Anderson » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:40 am

Andrew, if you are successful with this you may be able to sell the code to JYETECH.

What I don't understand is I assume this processor has some form of code protection as per PICs. How were these people producing fakes able to get a hold of it? Did they forget the code protection or did an employee smuggle it out for a price?

Steve A.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby Andrew Davie » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:50 am

Steve Anderson wrote:Andrew, if you are successful with this you may be able to sell the code to JYETECH.

What I don't understand is I assume this processor has some form of code protection as per PICs. How were these people producing fakes able to get a hold of it? Did they forget the code protection or did an employee smuggle it out for a price?

Steve A.

No, any work I would do on it would be public domain/free. I did this sort of stuff totally revamping the UI and software on an original calculator watch some years ago. Lots of fun. No idea on the code protection re fakes - maybe it wasn't protected. I did a game cartridge which the designer swore would never be copied - about a month after release, somebody (ethical!) sent me a binary of the game to confirm it was copied correctly. I confirmed and asked for it not to be released, and it hasn't been. So, there are smart people out there.

Here's the manual I wrote for the software/UI I wrote for that watch...
uWatch.pdf
(727.42 KiB) Downloaded 961 times
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby Steve Anderson » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:39 pm

Yes, I believe code-protection can be circumvented, but it requires one clever bod to do it. But I guess there quite a few out there who can do so - probably for a fee.

Open-sourcing it may be a slight problem. It's designed to run on their hardware, without consent you may have some trouble brewing. I suggest asking permission at least.

The average user probably wouldn't be able to burn the device anyway.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby Andrew Davie » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:00 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:Yes, I believe code-protection can be circumvented, but it requires one clever bod to do it. But I guess there quite a few out there who can do so - probably for a fee.

Open-sourcing it may be a slight problem. It's designed to run on their hardware, without consent you may have some trouble brewing. I suggest asking permission at least.

The average user probably wouldn't be able to burn the device anyway.

Steve A.

A few assumptions there - and you've had a go at me in the past for making assumptions, so my turn...
They actively encourage people (and explain how) to update the firmware when they release new versions. So burning isn't a problem.
They share the firmware :) but this happened after the cloners came, I think. Now they have that copyright notice which is pointless, to say the least.
My plan would be to make changes and submit them for consideration. I will have my own version if I do that, with things how I like - but not detract from the official version without permission.
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby gary » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:04 pm

With regard to burning you just beat me to it Andrew, I found this tutorial a couple of days ago, I haven't had time to go through it or even verify it is the best procedure but it does show it can be done:

youtu.be/jQ8X7oMvE5g
gary

Postby Steve Anderson » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:08 pm

Andrew Davie wrote:A few assumptions there - and you've had a go at me in the past for making assumptions, so my turn...
They actively encourage people (and explain how) to update the firmware when they release new versions. So burning isn't a problem.

OK, I had missed that point. But what I was asking was how do I(underlined) upload new firmware into the device? What gear is needed? Are there the appropriate 'test points' on the PCB? Can I copy the original firmware and save it if my firmware upgrade goes wrong? How do I put the original back?

Though I briefly wandered around the datasheet for the device I didn't spend too much time on it. I have no intention of learning another assembly code language.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby Steve Anderson » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:12 pm

The first of the '$15 Specials' is complete, I've left off various connectors as I intend to eventually encase this device so the BNC for example would be located on the front panel.

So it's time to apply some volts and tune for maximum smoke...

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby Andrew Davie » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:13 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:The first of the '$15 Specials' is complete, I've left off various connectors as I intend to eventually encase this device so the BNC for example would be located on the front panel.

So it's time to apply some volts and tune for maximum smoke...

Steve A.

Fingers literally crossed!
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby Andrew Davie » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:04 am

Figuring since there's been no report that maximum smoke was achieved?
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby Steve Anderson » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:24 pm

Not quite, I'm having some extractor fans installed first!

More seriously, I haven't had the time to power it up, perhaps over the weekend...

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby Andrew Davie » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:58 pm

My US$7.59 (including shipping) switchable 1x/10x probe arrived yesterday... in under 2 weeks, and I've tested it out on my DSO Shell (DSO138 upgraded just a bit) oscilloscope. After an easy calibration, really beautiful square waves - sharp corners, and surprisingly very low noise at 50mV resolution... now I'm setup perfectly - total cost (including shipping, of course!) about US$30.

youtu.be/3eDEVzqP8-s

Grab from the above video ...

P2200.jpg
P2200.jpg (239.28 KiB) Viewed 21438 times
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby gary » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:33 pm

Nice one Andrew - how you are getting such fast delivery times is beyond me.

I have two BangGood products (pic programmer and some end mills) that I ordered before Christmas...

I have had to ask for them to be resent.

First time I have had a problem with ex-China free delivery - and first time I have used BangGood - but they have a pretty good rep.
gary

Postby lemke » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:55 pm

I realize this is a bit of a dated thread. So, excuse me for grave-digging" :) . Does anyone have "the latest" on one of these JYE 'scopes? I would be interested in one. I would not mind paying a bit more for a fully assembled unit with a case. There are a few on amazon. I will try to find a unit that is not a copy.
lemke
Laboratory Assistant

Postby Amos » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:24 pm

Is there any difference between an analog oscilloscope and a digital oscilloscope?
Amos
"Fester, enough of the light-bulbs!"

Postby Steve Anderson » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:31 pm

I'd forgotten about these devices, I bought two of them three years ago, built up the kit(s), but I put them away and have never powered them up! I still have them...somewhere.

Better or not? In this price bracket you're unlikely to find an analogue 'scope, but someone will prove me wrong!...unless secondhand and probably needing some work done it.

One you get to a few hundred dollars digital wins hands-down, into the thousands of dollars...can you still buy analogue 'scopes in that price bracket? Having gone from analogue to digital I would never even consider going back to analogue. Others may disagree...

There are caveats though...

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Previous

Return to Mechanical NBTV