Inductionvisor

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Re: Inductionvisor

Postby Klaas Robers » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:34 pm

Harry, this reminds me to a fire wheel Nipkow disc that the late Mart Schouten made tens of years ago. But he had all LEDs in one long serie, each diode connected to a PCB commutator disc, glued on the Nipkow disc. Two contacts against that commutator disc powered only the LEDs close to and in the viewing area. You could do that too by giving each LED its own receiving coil and one transmitting coil that covers only the receiving coils of the LEDs that are close to and in the viewing field.

The advantage is that you can have more light out of the LEDs as they are powered only for a short time period and have enough time to cool down in the much longer off time. And still your transmitting power will be much lower.
Klaas Robers
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Re: Inductionvisor

Postby Harry Dalek » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:15 pm

Klaas Robers wrote:Harry, this reminds me to a fire wheel Nipkow disc that the late Mart Schouten made tens of years ago. But he had all LEDs in one long serie, each diode connected to a PCB commutator disc, glued on the Nipkow disc. Two contacts against that commutator disc powered only the LEDs close to and in the viewing area. You could do that too by giving each LED its own receiving coil and one transmitting coil that covers only the receiving coils of the LEDs that are close to and in the viewing field.

The advantage is that you can have more light out of the LEDs as they are powered only for a short time period and have enough time to cool down in the much longer off time. And still your transmitting power will be much lower.

Hi Klass The commutator is a tricky thing never had any luck trying to make one i found it to give to much noise so Mr Schouten must of made a good one !
Yes i had in mind to use a coil for each led and a cap and have a induction mask but i knew this would more than likely work in a lazy version just using one coil and cap and i didn't have to make 32 coils i didn't care id have a ring of images ...i suppose as is it would come in handy as a horizontal and vertical scan system at the same time with 2 masks for viewing ports in place .
It was a fun experiment and some thing i wanted to make ....if i could reverse the idea as in light sensors instead of leds as i was thinking some time back think that would be interesting as a camera .
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Previous

Return to Mechanical NBTV