Parts from laser printer for NBTV

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Parts from laser printer for NBTV

Postby DrZarkov » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:20 pm

Today I've slaughtered my old laser printer, which had some mechanical problems due to cheap plastic gears. But the optical part looks quite interesting: On the left you see the laser, some mirrors, the spinning hexagon mirror, and optics to form a proper line on the paper. The laser seems to be quite strong and therefore not harmless for experiments! I doubt that the motor under the hexagon mirror is fast enough for NBTV, but could be replaced. The printer was able to print 600 dots per inch, that would make a high resolution picture! I also have a big four sided mirror, which I've got a couple of years ago at the convention in Loughborough from Peter Yancer. I wonder if it will be possible to make a Scophony-like scanner with this parts. Of course I will replace the laser with a common LED, something around 60 lines/25 frames would be enough to start.

laserdrucker innenleben_640.jpg
laserdrucker innenleben_640.jpg (205.63 KiB) Viewed 3832 times

laserdrucker innenleben.jpg
(276.37 KiB) Not downloaded yet
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

Re: Parts from laser printer for NBTV

Postby Harry Dalek » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:09 pm

DrZarkov wrote:Today I've slaughtered my old laser printer, which had some mechanical problems due to cheap plastic gears. But the optical part looks quite interesting: On the left you see the laser, some mirrors, the spinning hexagon mirror, and optics to form a proper line on the paper. The laser seems to be quite strong and therefore not harmless for experiments! I doubt that the motor under the hexagon mirror is fast enough for NBTV, but could be replaced. The printer was able to print 600 dots per inch, that would make a high resolution picture! I also have a big four sided mirror, which I've got a couple of years ago at the convention in Loughborough from Peter Yancer. I wonder if it will be possible to make a Scophony-like scanner with this parts. Of course I will replace the laser with a common LED, something around 60 lines/25 frames would be enough to start.

You have a older one here the new ones have gone square yours is a polygon .
The octagon mirror 8 sided one i still have works for nbtv only tried it up to 60 line it could do more yours will do NBTV easy mine was on a older circuit board all you had to do was power the board and use a 555 for the pulse frequency to run the thing yours the circuit might be off board never had luck with those but infact you will not get a faster motor than these things mine was doing 60 line and still had more speed
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1557&hilit=octagon
I have tried a led view direct off the mirror that would work yes ...laser would be better one with a focus defocus lens to adjust the line width which really needs thickening for 32 line as you see on my photos laser line way to thin .
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Return to Mechanical NBTV