Updates to my mechanical set

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Re: Updates to my mechanical set

Postby smeezekitty » Thu May 10, 2018 4:55 pm

Andrew Davie wrote:Do I see top cat?

Yes. I thought it was kinda of obscure so I'm surprised that someone recognized it
smeezekitty
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby Dave Moll » Thu May 10, 2018 5:00 pm

And the third image looks like Jean-Luc Picard of Star Trek TNG. I don't recognise the middle one though.
Dave Moll
Anyone have a spare straightjacket?

Postby smeezekitty » Thu May 10, 2018 5:16 pm

Dave Moll wrote:And the third image looks like Jean-Luc Picard of Star Trek TNG. I don't recognise the middle one though.

Right you are. And that's just a static picture, not from a show so that's not surprising.
smeezekitty

Postby Harry Dalek » Thu May 10, 2018 8:09 pm

Great work !i think you are using Gary's ghgm2c 2 colour left right channel 2 colour ...BTW there's also a 120 line 2 colour version
He also has this 3 colour Baird system this would be one channel .least i think it is i have not played with colour much ..
Number of frames per second: 10
Number of lines per frame: 15
Number of lines per second: 160
Line scanning direction: vertical, bottom to top
Frame scanning direction: horizontal, right to left
Viewing position on disc: right
Rotation direction of disc: anti-clockwise
Picture orientation: portrait
Picture aspect ratio: 2 : 1
White level: 1V
Black level: 0V
Sync tip level: None
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby gary » Thu May 10, 2018 8:32 pm

smeezekitty wrote: I thought it was kinda of obscure so I'm surprised that someone recognized it

I object to that! TC and I go waaaaay back :-)
gary

Postby smeezekitty » Fri May 11, 2018 9:25 am

Harry Dalek wrote:Great work !i think you are using Gary's ghgm2c 2 colour left right channel 2 colour ...BTW there's also a 120 line 2 colour version
He also has this 3 colour Baird system this would be one channel .least i think it is i have not played with colour much ..
Number of frames per second: 10
Number of lines per frame: 15
Number of lines per second: 160
Line scanning direction: vertical, bottom to top
Frame scanning direction: horizontal, right to left
Viewing position on disc: right
Rotation direction of disc: anti-clockwise
Picture orientation: portrait
Picture aspect ratio: 2 : 1
White level: 1V
Black level: 0V
Sync tip level: None

I've actually been using my own software for all the tests. I prefer to run it at a higher framerate (15-16 FPS usually) to help tame the flicker.
I'm looking for software that will let me play four track audio or two audio files synchronized on two different devices (since the sound chip can treat the front and back ports as separate devices) but so far I've had no luck. I might have to roll my own :/

I object to that! TC and I go waaaaay back :-)

To be fair, it is waaay before my time.
smeezekitty

Postby DrZarkov » Wed May 30, 2018 11:02 pm

Yes, and on the second picture Picard and Riker. Good quality. A better Nipkow-disk would also improve the picture a lot.
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

Postby smeezekitty » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:47 pm

Success! I have sound and color working.

I had to set my audio control panel up for "quadraphonic" speakers. I tried it before but it turns out I was using the wrong jacks.

Also, it is quite hard to find a media player that will play 4 channel WAV files. Foobar 2000 does it
smeezekitty

Postby FlyMario » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:09 am

I am very impressed with your work! Cool that you were so young when you originally created it. Interesting that you were using a Brushless Motor. I didn't go that route even though I have a lot of them around. Are you able to maintain a good stable rpm with it or do you have it constantly being adjusted?

In case I missed it, do you have links to your TV on youtube? Would love to see it.

Flymario
FlyMario

Postby smeezekitty » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:36 pm

FlyMario wrote:I am very impressed with your work! Cool that you were so young when you originally created it. Interesting that you were using a Brushless Motor. I didn't go that route even though I have a lot of them around. Are you able to maintain a good stable rpm with it or do you have it constantly being adjusted?

I'm actually not using a brushless motor but I understand where the confusion comes from. The video head is just used for its bearing. I actually have a 6V brushed DC motor which spins the disk through a belt and pulley system (approx. 5:1 ratio). I do get quite a stable picture though.
In case I missed it, do you have links to your TV on youtube? Would love to see it.

There are a few video links earlier in this thread. The ones I have on youtube are before I added color to the LED matrix but here is one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9y5gnXwvoc
smeezekitty

Postby FlyMario » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:32 pm

I have watched all of your videos over the last week thanks. I am so very impressed by you and so many of the people on this forum's work.

I believe I saw some Acronym of a motor that made me think it stood for brushless. No matter.

Would be fun to watch "The Twilight Zone" shows on a TV such as yours.
FlyMario

Postby smeezekitty » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:41 am

Scooby Doo Zombie Island trailer in color: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Pl22HvQ8K4
smeezekitty

Postby Harry Dalek » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:07 am

smeezekitty wrote:Scooby Doo Zombie Island trailer in color: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Pl22HvQ8K4

Impressed as your's is a do it your self every thing...good work indeed.
Should look into a 2 drum or disk system and get some nice size to your screen...its a little more to it than a Nipkow but crt screen size is worth it !
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby FlyMario » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:32 am

Wow that is great Smeeze!!!!
FlyMario

Postby smeezekitty » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:51 pm

Harry Dalek wrote:
smeezekitty wrote:Scooby Doo Zombie Island trailer in color: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Pl22HvQ8K4

Impressed as your's is a do it your self every thing...good work indeed.
Should look into a 2 drum or disk system and get some nice size to your screen...its a little more to it than a Nipkow but crt screen size is worth it !

Thank you. I was mulling over 3d printing a mirror drum system. But I don't know if my 3d printer is precise enough.
Also, I find scophony systems are very interesting. But probably quite hard to build. Especially without using a laser.

Wow that is great Smeeze!!!!

Thanks!
It looks better in real life. The black bars is a well known issue when trying to record mechanical displays
smeezekitty

PreviousNext

Return to Mechanical NBTV