My Mechanical TV

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

My Mechanical TV

Postby FlyMario » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:42 am

So, lately, I have been feeling very nostalgic about the old Laurel and Hardy films I used to watch on 16mm projector. I have seen the previews from the new Laurel and Hardy movie coming out and it did remind me of the good old days.

I have also been thinking a lot about what modifications I wish to do to my Mechanical TV.

1) Target a run time of 30 minutes.
2) Use ASC6C1008 SRAM chips with TTL counter chips. If I focused on 32x32 Frame size I would need 12,800 bytes per second. Targeting 30 minutes would require 2 banks of 23 1mb SRAM chips. 1 Bank for 8bit Video and 1 Bank for 8bit Audio loaded into memory from an Arduino and MicroSD card.
3) Write a program to pull old Laurel and Hardy videos from YouTube and push them down to the format this machine would be designed for.

I would like to know if any of you have any suggestions you can offer. I know that many of you have made a version of Mech TV that just uses an Arduino and a MicroSD... and you have done this very very well. It feels like it might be fun to do one this way.

Thanks,
Peter J. Fischel
Peter J. Fischel
Mechanical TV Fan, Programmer and Tinkerer.
FlyMario
Mad Scientist

Re: My Mechanical TV

Postby FlyMario » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:57 am

I way underestimated the number of ram chips I would need. The chips I chose are 1mbit which is 128K. Maybe I should use them as a buffer. No way I am going to solder 46 Megabytes of those things.
Peter J. Fischel
Mechanical TV Fan, Programmer and Tinkerer.
FlyMario
Mad Scientist

Return to Mechanical NBTV