Frame Rate vs Number of lines?

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Frame Rate vs Number of lines?

Postby Phantogram » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:36 am

For those of you who have been in this game longer than I --I'm curious, in your experience which has more effect on the image: frame rate or number of lines?
I'm asking in the context of very low-fi scenarios... for example, if you had to choose between:

6.5 FPS with 20 lines per frame
OR
13 FPS with only 10 lines per fame

Which one would you choose? I gather the 6.5 FPS will be super flickery but will have more detail in each frame; while the 13 FPS will be less flickery but with less detail.

I know, neither image will be great. Again, we're talking low, low fi here... at the bottom threshold of what constitutes a moving image. I'm just curious if you all have a strong sense of the trade offs of each of these paramaters at the low end.

Also, any suggestions on actually simulating (on a computer) these non-standard scanning patterns just to be able to see what the trade off are?
Any suggestions much appreciated!

Thanks!

WD
Phantogram
"Fester, enough of the light-bulbs!"

Re: Frame Rate vs Number of lines?

Postby Andrew Davie » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:13 am

There's an Atari 2600 demo which shows that frame rate is more important than resolution.
In this animation, we have just 40 pixels across the screen, and only two colours (pixel ON or OFF, that's it).
And yet, you can still get something that is watchable and has meaning.
For for me, anyway, it's frame rate is important, then resolution, and finally #colours/intensities
FOr the most part, anyway...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko9ZA50X71s
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Return to Mechanical NBTV