my 3D Printed Color Nipkow Display

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

my 3D Printed Color Nipkow Display

Postby mac70 » Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:31 am

Hello everyone,
I just wanted to share my DIY project of a 3D Printed Color Nipkow Display here. It's not actually a receiver for NBTV signals (just a display), but I thought it might be interesting anyway.
NipkowTitle1b.jpg

Since a long time I wanted to create a mechanical Nipkow display based on Arduino which can be easily reproduced without complex mechanical machining. So I decided to design and 3d-print all necessary components - including the Nipkow disk itself. The project is based around the Arduino Mega and I published everything for download in case someone is interested (see links below).

Perhaps an interesting detail is that I used a color RGB LED (6 bits per channel) instead of a monochrome light source which most of the projects have I saw. The disk in this project produces an 32x32 pixel image at RGB666 color depth. It can achive 25-30fps max framerate, so enough for stable and flicker-free images. The relatively high color-depth and frame-rate improves the image quality.
example_pic.jpg

Here is a video including some impressions of moving 32-line color pictures and the build instructions on YouTube :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmISP_fAAws&t=2s

A detailed description of the project including the BOM and software can be found on my hackster project page :
https://www.hackster.io/mac70/3d-printed-color-nipkow-display-380c33

Let me know what you think / happy to answer any questions
Mac70
mac70
"Fester, enough of the light-bulbs!"

Re: my 3D Printed Color Nipkow Display

Postby Viewmaster » Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:17 pm

I found that very impressive, Mac. Not only the project itself but your very detailed explanation of how you built it, even down to the size of the screws used.
“One small step for a man,"......because he has Arthritis.
Albert.
Viewmaster
Frankenstein was my uncle.

Postby FlyMario » Sun May 22, 2022 8:32 am

the picture looks nice! Especially since it is 3D printed. Good going!
Peter J. Fischel
Mechanical TV Fan, Programmer and Tinkerer.
FlyMario
Mad Scientist

Postby Lawnboy » Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:13 am

This is really impressive- it even made Hack A Day. https://hackaday.com/2022/05/27/3d-print-a-colour-tv/
Thanks for including a complete guide to building it. This is a great way for people like me to bridge the gap between analog NBTV and computer controlled displays. Have you considered submitting it for publication in the NBTVA newsletter?
Lawnboy
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby mac70 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:20 am

Thanks for the positive feedback, much appreciated.
Not sure if this would be suitable for the NBTV newsletter, since it's not really a receiver for NBTV signals, unfortunately.
mac70
"Fester, enough of the light-bulbs!"

Return to Mechanical NBTV