Plunging right in - the first step

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Postby NutmegCT » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:06 am

Progress! I've received a reply from Vic Brown.

I got stuck thinking the "gear wheel" was for some gear mesh and couldn't visualize the disc/gear connection.

You mentioned my non-electronics background. I do feel comfortable in soldering and following circuit design. I think my discomfort stems more from not knowing "what the pieces do". For example, I have no clue what a 4046 chip is/does. I'm amazed at how folks discuss things like PMT, 931A, dome, opto-fork, HC', 'AC', 'HCT' or 'ACT, etc. It's an area I know nothing of, which I why I'm overly sensitive (analysis paralysis) of what parts to order. Again, I'm assuming the Club shop 4046 ("CD4046") is what I need.

I may be getting into water that's much too deep for my background. I built my first "radiovisor" in 1964 from a photograph of one of Jenkins's models. I used two cardboard discs mounted on axles on each end of a 120v motor, a large plate neon bulb, and an audio amplifier. Felix the Cat magically appeared! It's the "integration" of the Handbook mechanics into the mystery of electronics that's stopping me.

Unfortunately I've been getting a "no response from server" for http://www.nbtv.wyenet.co.uk/ all morning, so I can't refer directly to the details in some of the schematics.

Once I can again see the schematics and note the parts I'm puzzling over, I can ask Vic if those are the parts available from the Club, and decide if I can handle this.

Thanks all.
Tom
NutmegCT
Research Scientist

Postby Steve Anderson » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:00 pm

NutmegCT wrote:....Again, I'm assuming the Club shop 4046 ("CD4046") is what I need. Thanks all. Tom

Yes, thats fine, but you probably can get them from Mouser or DigiKey in the US. But as you intend to order items anyway, you might as well bundle them all together.

One other thing worth mentioning to newcomers is something I have known others to overlook....the difference between the 110/120V power system in the US and Canada (and parts of Japan) and the 220/240V of Europe...and pretty much the rest of the world. Don't order anything from differing regions unless you know it's dual-voltage...and make sure you set it correctly when it arrives. The prompt should be the wrong type of plug fitted! Although here we use the US 2 and 3-pin plugs on 220V, I've learnt to be careful!

The difference between 50 and 60Hz nowadays is really only a problem with mains-powered syncronous motors, so not much of an issue for NBTV.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby Andrew Davie » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:30 pm

NutmegCT wrote:I may be getting into water that's much too deep for my background.

Don't worry! Before I started my televisor I had visions of electrocuting myself the very first time I applied power to anything I built. I'm still very very wary of the power supply. I didn't know how to solder, had no idea about electronics, and certainly din't know what I was doing. Generally, I still don't, certainly by the standards of most of the smart people here. Take heart that I started a long long way further back than you feel you are now, yet I still managed to build something workable.

My televisor is the first and only electronics thing I've ever built. Sure, I didn't design the elecronics, but I do have a sense of achievement -- and it sure is a great talking point whenever I show it!

PS: I've switched jobs in the last couple of months. I'm looking forward to demonstrating my televisor at my new workplace (CSIRO) sometime soon, because it's just FULL of geeky science-type people who will appreciate it! Only problem is, my televisor synch circuit doesn't work anymore, and I've practically forgotten which wire to connect where. I need to revisit and resurrect!

Cheers
A
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Documentation.

Postby Steve Anderson » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:40 pm

Andrew Davie wrote:.....my televisor synch circuit doesn't work anymore, and I've practically forgotten which wire to connect where. Cheers. A

Most people are the same, notoriously bad at documentation, and I am (perhaps was) the same. I built a standards converter years ago and it worked fine, until one day it didn't.

I had to 'reverse engineer' not only something I had built, but also I designed! I learnt my lesson. Mostly a notebook (the paper variety) will do full of 'fag-packet' sketches.

For me nowadays it's quicker and easier to do it in software, attached is a partial jotting of something also built years ago. This is all it requires and took 20 minutes or so to do. Photos are worth taking too.

When you spend many hours as Andrew did on his televisor it's worth spending a few minutes and making some notes......that's all from bitter experience.

Steve A.
Attachments
crtmon1.gif
(7.98 KiB) Downloaded 633 times
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Re: Plunging right in - the first step

Postby ianpeacock » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:24 am

dear vic i am going to order a 12 inch disk32 holes how much will postage and packaging be thanks ian peacock1946@gmail.com
ianpeacock
"Fester, enough of the light-bulbs!"

Previous

Return to Mechanical NBTV