"The Brute" takes form.

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Postby Steve Anderson » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:43 pm

dominicbeesley wrote:In the end up did you go single ended for the Y-plate? Dom

Yes, it's a single-ended drive to the Y plate (singular) done by one of those dinky 9002 tubes in a photo I posted a little while ago. In fact the horizontal uses the same tubes but in differential mode.

The cursors were quite easy, they're a bit 'dumb', they're not like on a 'scope, they're fixed showing 0V and max. video only. A lot of "The Brute" is whimsical, I did it just for the heck of it, it's far more complex than it really needs to be. There have been times when I wished I had been a bit more sane in choosing what 'features' to add.

The next CRT display will be quite the opposite, as simple as possible using the same DH3-91 tube mainly 'cos I want to make it battery-powered. I'm not sure if I'll use tubes for the deflection or not. Need to keep power consumption down even though the battery will be a 12V 7Ah sealed lead-acid one.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby Steve Anderson » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:41 pm

A pause...

It looks like I'll be off to the Middle-East for a few months so there is little chance of updates to "The Brute" or pretty much anything else currently on-going. But I will be contactable via this forum and e-mail as usual. I will log on at least once a day.

Anyone fancy coming to +&*$! with me? Been there before, but it was a long time ago...it's not as bad as portrayed...

Steve A.
Last edited by Steve Anderson on Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Anderson

Postby dominicbeesley » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:05 am

I'd carry your bags! I could do with getting out a bit!

Dom
dominicbeesley
Anyone have a spare straightjacket?

Postby Panrock » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:23 am

Steve Anderson wrote:Anyone fancy coming to Iraq with me? Been there before, but it was a long time ago...it's not as bad as portrayed...

I'll pass up on this golden opportunity - though hopefully it's now getting better. I hope you'll introduce the Iraqis to the peaceful pleasures of NBTV? I'm sure General Petraeus hasn't tried that yet.

Good luck with the trip. Where in Iraq are you headed? I passed by that part of the world many, many years ago, going through the Shah's Iran, and Afghanistan when it was relatively peaceful (but still extremely poor). This was a well-worn backpacker trail at the time.

Steve O
Panrock
Green padded cells are quite homely.

Postby AncientBrit » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:30 pm

Steve A,

We're going to miss your tech. input here. It's going to be quiet!

Good luck and have a safe trip,

Kind regards,

Graham
AncientBrit

Postby Steve Anderson » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:56 pm

AncientBrit wrote:Steve A, We're going to miss your tech. input here. It's going to be quiet! Graham

Ah! I might well not be at home but I'll be here most days at least once, just like I was a couple of years ago whilst working in India. They do have access to the 'net in the major towns/cities like $*@& and !^&##.

So throw at me all you can, I'll need something to do in the evenings! And at least %#$@ is wet!

After this there is a chance I'll move on to Sana'a in Yemen (also wet), but that's not confirmed yet.

Steve A.
Last edited by Steve Anderson on Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Anderson

Postby AncientBrit » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:35 pm

Steve,

That's good news. Keep in touch!

Regards,

Graham
AncientBrit

Postby Viewmaster » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:12 am

Good luck Steve. Don't get radicalised and start blowing up resistors! :-)
Take care.
Albert.
Viewmaster
Frankenstein was my uncle.

Postby Steve Anderson » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:24 pm

Viewmaster wrote:Don't get radicalised and start blowing up resistors! :-) Albert.

Used to do that in my early teens...typical rebel...found that 100 Ohm Carbon ones were the best when detonated with 240V! Over 500W in a 0.5W resistor yields some fast and loud results!

Steve A.

An afterthought...just so you're aware, all incoming and outgoing e-mail and any other data is screened whilst I'm 'there'. Please don't ask about anything vaguely related to 'there' or the surrounding region. It will not get through, even if it did my reply certainly wouldn't. Keep it NBTV, electronics and mechanics and there should be no problem.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby asiekierka » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:53 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:
Viewmaster wrote:Don't get radicalised and start blowing up resistors! :-) Albert.

Used to do that in my early teens...typical rebel...found that 100 Ohm Carbon ones were the best when detonated with 240V! Over 500W in a 0.5W resistor yields some fast and loud results!

Steve A.

An afterthought...just so you're aware, all incoming and outgoing e-mail and any other data is screened whilst I'm 'there'. Please don't ask about anything vaguely related to 'there' or the surrounding region. It will not get through, even if it did my reply certainly wouldn't. Keep it NBTV, electronics and mechanics and there should be no problem.

Steve A.

We'll use ROT13 then :)
asiekierka
"Fester, enough of the light-bulbs!"

Postby Steve Anderson » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:50 pm

asiekierka wrote:We'll use ROT13 then :)

I'd rather use something less breakable such as the German Enigma code...not. Good in its day but not now, even coding text into a JPEG would be a no-no. I think anything that looks even vaguely encrypted will be deleted. Ho hum.

Less than 48 hours I'll be on my way...

Anyway, welcome to the forum...

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby dominicbeesley » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:05 am

Good luck, hope you get on Ok.

Will you be still coming over for the convention?

Dom

PS: I'm actually quite jealous for some strange reason, working from home can be a bit boring sometimes!
dominicbeesley
Anyone have a spare straightjacket?

Postby asiekierka » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:46 am

Okay, so just take notes and post them here when you're back :)

Or use NBTV audio files with an extension of ".rar" that are not rar's.
asiekierka
"Fester, enough of the light-bulbs!"

Postby DrZarkov » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:53 am

As a teenager I tried how bright a common yellow LED can be. With 9 Volt DC it suddenly exploded in a very impressive way. :-)
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

Postby Steve Anderson » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:23 am

dominicbeesley wrote:Will you be still coming over for the convention? PS: I'm actually quite jealous for some strange reason, working from home can be a bit boring sometimes!

I won't be able to make the convention as this job will take me through until early May. The convention (for me) is always badly timed, companies have a new budget as of March 31st usually, and it's then they start to spend. Unless they have a surplus in December then they try and spend it in the early new year before new budgets are allocated. The lean times are usually during the (European) summer.

80-90% of my 'real' work is done at home, from my office-cum-workshop-cum-niece's bedroom, my daily commute is about three metres! So I tend to agree, it's nice to have a change now and then, I just wish that they weren't always in the pox-holes of the world!

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

PreviousNext

Return to Mechanical NBTV