"The Brute" takes form.

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

"Brute" update.

Postby Steve Anderson » Sun May 24, 2009 4:07 pm

Dear All,

Having done 'that' trip, put a fair bit of effort into the PMT tests (currently on hold) and made a start on a laser-based optical link for NBTV (and other uses) I'll be back on "The Brutes" case in a couple of days. All being well it should be wrapped up in less than two weeks.

All I have remaining to do is get the main display and its deflection tubes operational. 90% of the electronics is done and tested, the waveform monitor is a goer as shown above.

After four months of being idle it'll be interesting(?) to see what happens when I wake it up.

Steve A.

12/06/09. I know I shouldn't complain considering the current economic situation, but more 'real work' has surfaced and "The Brute" has had to have been pushed back even further. I'm starting to wonder if it'll ever get finished? It's already got quite a covering of dust on it and the aluminium has dulled considerably.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Re: "The Brute" takes form.

Postby Harry Dalek » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:01 pm

BTW Steve is the old girl still in one piece ? if so some times its nice to revisit a past project .
The Brute was very inspirational using more than one CRT ,some times with the gap in time you have time to think about it change things ,just wondering if you ever plan to look at this one again .
I have learnt its rather pleasing to go back and get it right and not worry about having to finish it first go .
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Postby Steve Anderson » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:06 pm

Hmm, I wasn't planning to. it's looking somewhat forlorn and sorry for itself at the moment!

IF (a big if) I were to revisit it I would start over including a newer and smaller chassis and a total redesign of the circuitry, including removing the valves/tubes. It was a whim at the time, later I realised how much more work I had created for myself for no good or sane reason.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby Harry Dalek » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:08 am

Steve Anderson wrote:Hmm, I wasn't planning to. it's looking somewhat forlorn and sorry for itself at the moment!

IF (a big if) I were to revisit it I would start over including a newer and smaller chassis and a total redesign of the circuitry, including removing the valves/tubes. It was a whim at the time, later I realised how much more work I had created for myself for no good or sane reason.

Steve A.

Oh its still exists most of the time if its not used projects parts tend to be reused .
The case is fine for that size CRT a power supply same case that distance looks very workable .
Would make a good higher line rate monitor something you couldn't do as easy with out a CRT.
BTW this project is in the mechanical posts should be shifted to electronic .
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Postby Steve Anderson » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:26 pm

Harry Dalek wrote:BTW this project is in the mechanical posts should be shifted to electronic .

Well, leave it where it is...if I were to resume work on 'The Brute' I would start a new thread in the electronic section...

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Previous

Return to Mechanical NBTV