Oscilloscope Confusion

Forum for discussion of electronic television. Generally, stuff to do with CRTs and not using mechanical displays.

Oscilloscope Confusion

Postby FlyMario » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:07 am

So, I am having a bit of a time with understanding Oscilloscopes. For digital, I just ignore most of the information and look for a simple signal. But Analog has tossed me for a loop here.

For instance, I think the yellow indicator for my probe 1 should be at 0 volts. Yet obviously it doesn't work that way. I have even seen when I connect to a circuit, the signal kind of travel up as if the scope is trying to fit it on my screen. I don't need it to do that, I would just adjust it myself if I wanted that.

I don't do anything special with my scope at all. Just want to connect it and adjust the freq and position of the probe.

When I was looking at the Video signal from Mutr recordings, I know where 0 voltage should be. It should be at the sync pulse part. but on the scope, it looks like halfway through the signal is zero volts. Not even possible!

Scope.jpg
Scope.jpg (109.42 KiB) Viewed 7496 times

To me where I have the arrow should be 0 volts and it should be at the marker that says 1. But no, it is way down below the marker making most of the signal below 0 volts. Not possible.

I really like my scope, I just don't understand. Maybe I need some online course to understand what it is dong. I almost bet if I pulled out my old 4 channel scope this would not happen.

My Scope is Siglent SDS1052DL+ Please don't go look up that scope to answer. Just looking if anyone has an idea.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Pete
FlyMario

Re: Oscilloscope Confusion

Postby FlyMario » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:31 am

FYI, I posted this on EEVBLOG as well. Probably a better place to make myself look like a fool :)
FlyMario

Postby FlyMario » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:57 am

It is coupling. Damn, I need to get to know my scope much better.
FlyMario

Postby Steve Anderson » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:52 pm

I suggest you read the manual, they don't go to the expense of producing it for no reason. It really is there to help you...and you've paid for it!

RTFM - no prizes for guessing that means!

Steve A.

No...it's not "Read The Friendly Manual" - even if it may be "friendly', but for sure, it's useful!...unless it's been badly translated from Chinese.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby Andrew Davie » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:19 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:RTFM - no prizes for guessing that means!

We all know "F" for "FULL" and good advice it is, too ;)
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Return to Electronic NBTV