LI608-1 Image Dissector Tube Camera?

Forum for discussion of electronic television. Generally, stuff to do with CRTs and not using mechanical displays.

LI608-1 Image Dissector Tube Camera?

Postby jjester6000 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:29 am

So I got this old soviet LI608-1 Image Dissector Tube that I want to build a camera with, but I'm not much of an electrical engineer (I'm going to a trade school for collision repair currently) but I'm not completely illiterate when it comes to electronics, so I made up this schematic for a power supply for the unit.
LI608-1 Power Supply (Not So Lousy Version).png

Now, I'm having a few issues, such as sourcing a suitable high voltage unit for my power supply (The C9619-01 -2KV module I built my design around is really difficult to get a hold of)
LI608-1 Power Supply (Lousy Version).jpg

Now about 2 years ago (when I got the tube) I tried to make my own power supply from scratch using some voltage doubles and transformers, but it never worked out (for obvious reasons) the tube needs between -1700V to -2200V to initially run the tube, but I don't know how to make that happen.
LI608-1 Camera Attempt (1).jpg

(Notice how I'm soldering to brass nails on a piece of wood, I'm too cheap to buy perf board, so I've found this to be a very effective way of bread boarding.)
How do you guys build your power supplies? Do you just revere engineer flyback transformers or something?
If life doesn't give you lemons - Grow Some DAMMIT!!!
jjester6000
Laboratory Assistant

Re: LI608-1 Image Dissector Tube Camera?

Postby Klaas Robers » Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:24 am

There is nothing wrong in building on brass nails. Years ago I made a 80m receiver built on brass nails. It worked perfectly with just 4 transistors and one FET.

To make the 2kV for the tube I would use a fly-back inverter using a 88mH Pupin toroid, comparable to what I used to produce the 5kV for the 7BP7 long persistance radar picture tube for my SSTV monitors. That is small and it supplies just a low current, so rather safe for your fingers.
Klaas Robers
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby Harry Dalek » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:34 pm

I was looking the tube up it needs rather strong lighting to work.
Since you started this project as is makes it a bit harder on the lens part it ,might be an idea to try for a quick focused image ..a slide on the screen mask and lighting infront as a test before lens part of it , using the block of work and such i see as a big bread board for something like this .
What circuit are you using ?
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby jjester6000 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:55 am

Harry Dalek wrote:I was looking the tube up it needs rather strong lighting to work.
Since you started this project as is makes it a bit harder on the lens part it ,might be an idea to try for a quick focused image ..a slide on the screen mask and lighting infront as a test before lens part of it , using the block of work and such i see as a big bread board for something like this .
What circuit are you using ?

I understand that, that's why I was wanting to start off by using it as a flying spot scanner for some 35mm slide film.

Now when it comes to a circuit, I'm not quite sure what I should do.

The circuit I designed recently calls for a C9619-01 high voltage module, but I don't know if I can really get a hold of that (LabGuy used a stand alone high voltage module for his PhiloCam, so I thought it might make it easier for me).

My original design called for a voltage multiplier, is that what you guys have done in the past? (Microwave transformer?)

Also when it comes to the deflection circuits, I've been told that camera tubes don't need the amplification that picture tubes (no high voltage on the deflection coils).

I know LabGuy used a the deflection yoke for a 1 inch Vidicon tube in his PhiloCam, so do you think I'd be okay with a lower voltage?
If life doesn't give you lemons - Grow Some DAMMIT!!!
jjester6000
Laboratory Assistant

Postby Harry Dalek » Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:00 am

Hi again
I understand that, that's why I was wanting to start off by using it as a flying spot scanner for some 35mm slide film.

Good i would of done the same ,i am not familiar with the tube but vidicon's i am this one looks a bit harder but do able.

Now when it comes to a circuit, I'm not quite sure what I should do.

I was asking here as i am thinking you are going NBTV if so there are vidicon designs on the forum .and Troy used a 625 line one from the old uk cq magazine for both hes vidicon and iconoscope cameras ,i have only done it in NBTV .
But circuit wise you can mix and match to different image tubes Troy from this forum turned he's 625 line vidicon to a 625 line iconoscope using pretty much the same circuits but tweaking it to make it work with the iconoscopes tube needs ,like most of the circuits in my nbtv camera i had used the same idea time bases for nbtv crt tvs so its like that .

The circuit I designed recently calls for a C9619-01 high voltage module, but I don't know if I can really get a hold of that (LabGuy used a stand alone high voltage module for his PhiloCam, so I thought it might make it easier for me).

My original design called for a voltage multiplier, is that what you guys have done in the past? (Microwave transformer?)

NO we stay away from micro wave transformers due to one they are dangerous and 2 they will over heat they are not meant to be on all the time thus you hear that switching going on in your microwave oven ,there are safer ways to get the HV ,the tube reminds be of a PMT so your problem is solved ...
2 back to back 12v ac transformers and a multiplier circuit ...Villard cascade also called a Cockcroft–Walton multiplier. if using mains frequencies like mine need to put say a 1meg resistor a watt or 2 across each cap to drain the voltage on switch off or you will have a very dangerous HV battery happening .
I know PMT's these will work on little current so i would think your tubes the same idea ,can also made via low voltage HF multipliers

read up on this PMT camera build you can work out the HV part here
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2139&hilit=pmt+camera

Also when it comes to the deflection circuits, I've been told that camera tubes don't need the amplification that picture tubes (no high voltage on the deflection coils).

I know LabGuy used a the deflection yoke for a 1 inch Vidicon tube in his PhiloCam, so do you think I'd be okay with a lower voltage?

I think from memory i ran my deflection circuit off dual 12 volt supply ,my vidicon camera worked but i only had a iconoscope deflection coil so i was getting the results you see here on the last page .it was a bit to big long ,still image it was ...my camera was fun to work on ..just work on one problem at a time you will get there .
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2564&hilit=pmt+camera&start=75
The battery powered inverter page below
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2139&hilit=pmt+camera&start=60

I found your data sheet but in Russian only you might already have this ,its a bit of a bugger as you need to see the operating range but numbers there are just working out what gos where.
Document 4.pdf
(633.77 KiB) Downloaded 217 times

Looking at the tube its a cold cathode so pretty much a big PMT i wonder does it need focus coil ? mmm needs magnetic deflection for sure very different ! in some ways easier than another image tubes i am used to so guessing looking at the data sheet range is 1700 to 2200 v negative a PMT indeed my PMT power supply can work this tube .

So designing the power supply for the circuits depends on what you choose what you have what you can get so on ..i see some transformers on your board ..for me i knew what circuits i was going to use or i could use with its a catch 22 you can't run the tube with out deflection or you with burn a spot on the target area so that would be a good way to start time base ramp generators and deflection amplifer then you know what your power supply will be for that mines was a dual 12v and dula 5 volt supply put the tube a side for now till you have circuits to run it .
There's a lot of work to make one of these things and circuits i would suggest to try and do it neat and right the first time or at the end you might want to case it and have to start all over again ,i always think how can i do this best way i can as neat as i can not always how it ends up but can i do it small can i case the thing .
What do i have handy can i repurpose some thing as you can see in the NBTV camera i used a biscuit tin ,its a lot easier to have the power supply in one case and camera circuits in another ...and think how will it all be mounted safely ...HV circuits you have to have this on mind always .
If this is just an experiment and you don't want to keep it the way you are going is fine or wait and see if its worth it casing it all.
Attachments
voltage-quadrupler_0.png
voltage-quadrupler_0.png (5.19 KiB) Viewed 3843 times
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Return to Electronic NBTV