Hello to the group

Forum for discussion of electronic television. Generally, stuff to do with CRTs and not using mechanical displays.

Hello to the group

Postby AdrianH » Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:14 am

Hello all.

I seem to have become a lover of all things valve related in general. I did order a televisor from Mindsets, but I believe due to the semiconductor shortage it may not arrive until next year!
Anyway I have started a project with the aim to decode NBTV pictures, even if only from audio files from the pc meant for the Mindset televisor.
The project is valve based up to now, has a 5FP7 CRT with a valved EHT generator and separate valve line time base, it is a slow ongoing project and I am sure that from time to time I will need to ask for help. The next stage I need to build is the frame timebase and see if the Miller Transitron will work down to 12.5 Hz or if I need to use a Thyratron and Pentode constant current source. Not sure if at these frequencies I can get a suitable swing in deflection, but time will tell.

Enough for now.
Cheers

Adrian
Not wanting to be always dependent on a computer for images.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1fMu-Lioz_6cNhTlqGAqrg
AdrianH
"Fester, enough of the light-bulbs!"

Re: Hello to the group

Postby Harry Dalek » Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:53 pm

AdrianH wrote:Hello all.

I seem to have become a lover of all things valve related in general. I did order a televisor from Mindsets, but I believe due to the semiconductor shortage it may not arrive until next year!
Anyway I have started a project with the aim to decode NBTV pictures, even if only from audio files from the pc meant for the Mindset televisor.
The project is valve based up to now, has a 5FP7 CRT with a valved EHT generator and separate valve line time base, it is a slow ongoing project and I am sure that from time to time I will need to ask for help. The next stage I need to build is the frame timebase and see if the Miller Transitron will work down to 12.5 Hz or if I need to use a Thyratron and Pentode constant current source. Not sure if at these frequencies I can get a suitable swing in deflection, but time will tell.

Enough for now.
Cheers

Adrian

Hi Adrian good to see you have come visiting just made for a project like yours
BTW you can load your video here on the page either as a video to view off the post or use you tube as in menu above i can explain both ways if you like .
Here you can post images and videos best forum for this sort of thing .
As always good luck keep at it i have the vlave bug as well
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby AdrianH » Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:44 am

Hello again Harry;

I joined with the intension of seeing how much activity there actually is, I have been listening on 80 meters for the past few Saturdays and never heard a peep of NBTV, I know I do not have anything to TX on but my long wire is picking up early morning signals from around the UK. How often are the club newsletters and I wonder if past ones are available to download ?

Lets get past the moderated stage before i start posting videos.

Stay safe.

Adrian
AdrianH

Postby Steve Anderson » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:04 pm

Hello Adrian, and welcome to the forum,

As far as I know the newsletters are not available on-line, however a CD containing all those published from the beginning up to Vol. 33 No. 3 (March 2008) are/were available on a CD (just under 400Mb) from the NBTVA website. (http://www.nbtv.org).

Whether later newsletters have been added to it, or a second edition produced I don't know. Anyone with information? I'd be interested too...and I'm sure others as well.

There are four issues per year, you can choose either the printed and posted version or a pdf e-mailed to you. You'll need to contact the NBTVA directly (via the URL above) as this forum has no direct connection with the UK NBTVA though many members here are members of both.

I'll approve your posts as soon as I see them (maybe others will too), assuming they're OK, I'm sure they will be. We still have spammers and the like trying to gain access, but I reject them and they usually give up after a couple of post attempts...

Maybe others can give you an update on the 80m situation, I'm not in Europe nor licensed anymore.

Steve A.

Interesting Youtube channel (in Adrian's signature above).
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby AdrianH » Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:15 pm

Thanks for the reply Steve, the information helps.

I did not see the information on the CD so will look again, I signed up to the NBTVA in early October for the e-subscription, the only newsletter I was sent was April's which just seemed to be a long time prior. It's not an problem I can wait to see what happens.

The updates to the channel have become a bit infrequent recently as other things seem to occupy my time despite early retirement.

I am licenced but my actual transmission time on the bands is probably in the minutes per month region with the odd natter on 2m, but I do enjoy listening to HF bands, generally normal broadcast.

Stay safe.

Adrian
AdrianH

Hello to the group

Postby acl » Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:31 pm

Hi there Adrian,

All the back issues of the newsletter are available on a USB stick for members of the NBTVA from the club shop. 2022 subscriptions are being reduced as we have cut the number of newsletters being published due to lack of content being sent in.

Send me PM and I will provide further assistance.

Regards Chris Lewi G6ACL
acl
Anyone have a spare straightjacket?

Postby AdrianH » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:02 pm

A pm is on its way Chris.

Adrian
AdrianH

Return to Electronic NBTV